10D with 17-40 lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacktjk

May 9, 2004
Singapore
hi everybody.
i would like to ask you all a question...
when u use 10D with 17-40 lens, do u notice that the built-in flash is used, the photos that come out will have a shadow at the bottom of it? Is it because of the built in flash which captured the shadow of the lens? Is it normal?

Yes it's normal, you will get this problem on all large lens, thanks to 10D "low profile" flash. Finally get a 550ex to get rid of it.

jacktjk said:
hi everybody.
i would like to ask you all a question...
when u use 10D with 17-40 lens, do u notice that the built-in flash is used, the photos that come out will have a shadow at the bottom of it? Is it because of the built in flash which captured the shadow of the lens? Is it normal?

Its normal, even on a 300D with a much higher in build flash. It happens when the object is too close especially.

I have been using EOSs for 12 years and hardly ever use the in built flash units. The unit is small so shadows are hard and harsh. Only when I need it fast or feel lazy. I know it is a small hassle putting one on the hotshoe but doing that has less redeye problems and I bounce 80% if the time anyway.

Large lenses make it even more imperative that you use a hotshoe unit.

the 17-40L is quite big, so part of the flash is blocked..better to use ext flash unit..420ex or 550ex

who on earth buys an slr coupled with an L lens and uses built-in flash?

...its absurd if you ask me...
:bsmilie:

LiOnElLiN said:

it's absurd for you...
for me... i have been experimenting all sorts of combination...
when i use it for nikon D100 with micro lens, i used built-in flash and it's fine.
so if you dun mind, you dun have to reply if u are not providing any answers to my questions, since this is a forum for suggestions and solutions, not a place to show off ur sacarsm... [pls do not doubt my professionism... i've been a photographer for 18 yrs] :devil:

jacktjk said:
it's absurd for you...
for me... i have been experimenting all sorts of combination...
when i use it for nikon D100 with micro lens, i used built-in flash and it's fine.
so if you dun mind, you dun have to reply if u are not providing any answers to my questions, since this is a forum for suggestions and solutions, not a place to show off ur sacarsm... [pls do not doubt my professionism... i've been a photographer for 18 yrs] :devil:

i don't think he's being sacarstic... he's just stating something. i don't mind using a 17-40 with a built-in flash but hell no it'll probably only work at 40mm.

as for you being a photographer for 18 yrs.. uh.. sorry but shouldn't you know the answer to your initial built-in flash question then.. ?

We are Canon users :)

We love each other :bsmilie:

The only people we should be nasty to are Nikon users! ;( ;( ;(

LiOnElLiN said:

For your record, Me. y? cos I hate bulky flash unit unless it's really required.:D:D

all right... i guess we shouldn't start a war here...
the fact abt my photographic experience still lies true... just that i was wondering whether canon has been manufacturing their stuff properly.
all these 18 yrs i've been doing slides with nikon with my nikon fm2... [i'm sorry but in my opinion nikon and canon users shouldn't be nasty to each other...]
anyway, recently i've been changing cameras... from manual to digital and more... thus coming to this problem... that's why i'm asking for suggestions... like how come a built-in light must be attached to the camera... and as a result causing that shadow... no harm intended.

LiOnElLiN said:

exactly man! :bsmilie:

aiya its only a light hearted joke lah :)

jacktjk said:
all right... i guess we shouldn't start a war here...
the fact abt my photographic experience still lies true... just that i was wondering whether canon has been manufacturing their stuff properly.
all these 18 yrs i've been doing slides with nikon with my nikon fm2... [i'm sorry but in my opinion nikon and canon users shouldn't be nasty to each other...]
anyway, recently i've been changing cameras... from manual to digital and more... thus coming to this problem... that's why i'm asking for suggestions... like how come a built-in light must be attached to the camera... and as a result causing that shadow... no harm intended.
yeah!!! Canon and Nikon users should love each otehr man!!! :p

The built in flash can be quite useful when you want to travel light. It works well with most prime lenses, which are usually quite compact. It also works well with most consumer zooms, which are also quite compact, but with which usually need more light because of small apertures. Sometimes you just need the flash to provide fill-in and to add a catchlight to the eyes when taking portraits.

I too do not like to bring my 550EX when travelling. I just make do with the built-in flash but only for fill-in purpose. If the subject is not too near then you can use it for a full flash. Convenience at a price.

This is normal. Get an external flash to correct the problem. It also happens to my 28-135 as well. Either that or don't use flash at all. :D

As for the harsh comments by Lionellin, relax and don't take it to heart. We're all here to help one another, not to fight/argue with one another. :bsmilie:

For me, the built-in flash does come in handy on those rare occasions when you just need some light and there's no external flash available. But I'd never use that puny flash with "tanky" L lenses cos it's just not high and powerful enough.

I think built-in flashes are just meant for the lower end and mid-ranged cameras like the 10D cos with prices for SLR and recently DSLR coming down, more amateurs are able to afford them, and they will use kit or consumer lenses without getting an external flash... at least perhaps not for the first 1 month or so after getting the body.

For the high end pro SLR/DSLR bodies, you'd never find built-in flashes. It's considered gimmicky. Sort of a 'sin'. "P Just as those auto/sports/portrait etc modes on Canon dial are gimmicky to me.

With DSLRs, it's easy when you are caught without an external flash. Just increase your ISO speed. With the 10D, you get pretty decent shot up to ISO400 (even ISO800). Just use a noise reduction program to iron out the wrinkles if required. Better than nothing! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.