$108,000,000 donation from Singaporeans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
I have a dream ...... i dream that Singaporeans will donate $108,000,000 to the tidal waves cause. There are 4,000,000 Singaporeans, and let juz say a million of us are unable to for whatever reasons, the rest of us can make this dream comes true...... if everyone put aside 10 cents a day for a year, then each of us will have $36 to give and multiply that with 3 millions, we will have $108 millions for the tidal waves victims!
Can we all help to make this dream comes true?

Erm...the calculation is too optimistic lah...you should factor in only working adults...so I guess the figure has to be divided by maybe 4 or more...still that is much more than those pledged by other developed country :thumbsup:

I don't think it's too far fetched. Many people lined up at Red Cross today, all wanting to donate. I have already gathered about 2k of donations from my relatives.

Also, local companies are doing their bits too (e.g. Singtel is donating 200K)

I am glad Singaporeans have proved once again they are compassionate bunch! And lead by example.

Yeah...I think that is the least we can offer.....有钱出钱,有力出力 :thumbsup:

It may be only me. I am willing to donate, but sometimes I keep wondering whether the money we donate actually do reach these victims, or be used to help them. Yes, I've made an allegation, but it's not without reasons. I would rather offer my cash to a handicapped Ah Pek selling expensive tissue paper than to put my coins into the aluminium tins carried around by uninterested youths.

You can also give items instead of cash. We had a small collection at the office today, and took the money collected to buy medicines, plasters, antiseptics and foodstuff to be deposited to the Red Cross for the Sri Lankan victims. Also asked the store manager at the Guardian pharmacy for a discount because it was for a good cause.. but only 5%, better than nothing, i guess

buy your medical supplies from singapore store and give to red cross.

can donate for good cause and also create or maintain job for our own singaporean.

went to send some stuff to the collection point near tekka mall this evening and had to queue for about 30 minutes in the car to get to the collection point!
was actually quite encouraged by the overwhelming response.
some aunties even became rd marshals to guide the traffic,alot of volunteers who took leave to go there help to pack and sort the stuff,pp are pushing pallets of biscuits,sardines and rice to help the victims.
1m donation should not be a problem from the public.

Yeah I agree, if you're worried about what you're donating not getting there b/c of admin charges or corruption, donate medical supplies instead.

I used to and sometimes still have doubts on how certain charity organizations would channel the funds they collect. A bit of research can often yield intersting results which can help you in your decision whether to donate to a certain organization.

For example, after looking into a certain body which looks into kidney related ailments, I decided to stop my donations to them after finding out the head of the organization flies nothing less than first class while travelling on official business. Their flyers and appeal letters come in such fancy packaging too. I feel that they were misusing or not using the donated funds in an effective manner. I promptly ceased my donations to them.

As many have mentioned, if you're in doubt, it's best to donate items rather than cash. But working with such organizations, I know that your $$ tends to go a much longer way if your cash were used to purchase items in a place like Indoneisia for example.

It's not a easy decision to make but go with what you think it's best. Oftentimes, common sense is all that is need with such decisions. If you're a Christian, pray about it and trust that God will direct your efforts to a worthy cause.

Terence said:
For example, after looking into a certain body which looks into kidney related ailments, I decided to stop my donations to them after finding out the head of the organization flies nothing less than first class while travelling on official business. Their flyers and appeal letters come in such fancy packaging too. I feel that they were misusing or not using the donated funds in an effective manner. I promptly ceased my donations to them.
This one we have heard times and times again, and i think there was a legal case on this and so i do think that you should delete this statement if you do not want to attract unwanted attention (you know how Sg CEOs are so sensitive and kaisu abt bad publicity). On the other hand, flying first class has its advantages ...... you get to meet the rich and famous and these ppl can really help the charities a lot if you can juz motivate them enough. Also in advertising term, fancy packaging will get a second or third look compared to a cheap photocopy appeal letter. .... that's business talk.
Mai tu liao, mai kai ... juz donate what you can and want to .... worry will not get you anywhere too ..... if in doubt, juz donate your physical self..... bless you...

Terence said:
I used to and sometimes still have doubts on how certain charity organizations would channel the funds they collect. A bit of research can often yield intersting results which can help you in your decision whether to donate to a certain organization.

As many have mentioned, if you're in doubt, it's best to donate items rather than cash. But working with such organizations, I know that your $$ tends to go a much longer way if your cash were used to purchase items in a place like Indoneisia for example.

It's not a easy decision to make but go with what you think it's best. Oftentimes, common sense is all that is need with such decisions. If you're a Christian, pray about it and trust that God will direct your efforts to a worthy cause.

after this episode, the rules governing charities has been changed. requiring them to disclose income or annual pay packages of top mgt in bands or something like that. so, we will in due course find out if the same person/s continue to remain in top position and subject themselves to such disclosure requirement or quit.

it kinda of just flashed by, but i think the owner of cathay photo was on channel i news update just now. he donated 20k to the tidal wave victims fund at SPH headquaters :thumbsup:
at least the money we spent buy buy buying went to a good cause :)

$100 might be a lot to most of you but sometime, at one outing, you spend and spend and then, you spend close to $100. Or maybe you gamble, for a week, you might gamble $100 or more.

So, for me, base on my own theory, donated $100 lor. $ are hard to earn but sometime when you spend it well, you don't feel it. Hope the rest could donate if can lor, dont think so much la. $10 also not bad, right? :) ;)

Red cross has alrdy collected more than 1m from the public,excluding coporate donors and government~ :thumbsup:

Not so worried about the organisations taking the $, but more the money being used for payoffs to officials etc. Sigh.

Singaporeans are actually quite a generous lot, and to be commended.

I think we are halfway to the target .....
Government (Temasek?) giving Cash $5m, Red Cross received more than $5m, SAF is giving in kind about $20m, PUB giving desalination machine, etc..., SimWH giving $0.5m, Creactive$0.25m, + other big shots,banks,SPH, all estimates so far another about $20m, .... Some big names still missing ....
This time, Singaporeans boleh!

I think in terms of sales, AP exceeds CP. Let's see those ABs at AP put some money in the kitty. Good on CP!

Army also put in effort, saw them loading up the boxes to containers @ SPH this afternoon on my way home. Almost wanted to alight and go help out. :thumbsup:

Saw on news Red Cross has $5M on hand, more won't hurt either, but I think now they need manpower.

saw the newspaper this morning that they'd prefer monetary donation rather then donation in kind. they already had too much stuffs they have difficulty sorting them out and sending them

tonite will see lots of donation, several companies will match the donation for certain events, eg ntuc downtown east

Status
Not open for further replies.