100% Crop

rocketatw

Jan 15, 2010
saw this word many times in this forum. What does it means?

How do people post a picture with 100% crop?

Using the cameram switch to preview mode, select a photo, then maxise it, is it consider as 100% crop?

100% crop means you crop a small section of a photo/picture which is viewed at 100% its resolution.

for example, you've got a 10MP photo, the dimensions are lets say 3888 x 2592 pixels.
if you want to link the image directly on the forums for ppl to view it at 100%, it would be far too huge to view it on an monitor, so what they do is that they crop a section off this 3888 x 2592, maybe a 500x500 area. that would be smaller.

purpose of this?
- to view the image quality at pixel level (100% zoom)
- to zoom in on a certain (small) detail in the image
instead of using the whole 10MP photo, for eg.

how to do it?
just use the crop tool in photoshop (or equiv image editing software) and crop a small section off your image. that's it. don't resize. and make sure ur image hosting website doesnt resize it too.

Last edited:
saw this word many times in this forum. What does it means?

How do people post a picture with 100% crop?

Using the cameram switch to preview mode, select a photo, then maxise it, is it consider as 100% crop?

Ok, when you open your photo in Photoshop(or any other PP program), zoom ur pic to 100% (which usually means you will not be able to see the entire shot, only a portion of it), then using the rectangle selection tool, select an area, then crop away every thing other than the selection.

The resulting image is a 100% crop. Because 1) it is at 100% zoom, and 2) it is a cropped portion of a larger shot.

The primary purpose is to show sharpness (or lack of sharpness), or to draw attention to a certain area of a shot.

Hoep that clarifies. :)

ok here's an example. My full image size (100%) is 1200 x 800 pixels.

25% zoom (full image) <-- resized
25.jpg

50% zoom (full image) <-- resized
50.jpg

100% zoom (full image) <-- actual full image @ 100%
100.jpg

100% crop (cropped image, as opposed to full image) <-- a crop of the actual image above.
100crop.jpg

i understand now, thanks so much to both of you.:)

so 100% crop is like cutting a small portion of the original image at 100% without resizing, correct me if i am wrong.

by the way how do we post an image here?

ok here's an example. My full image size (100%) is 1200 x 800 pixels.

25% zoom (full image) <-- resized
25.jpg

50% zoom (full image) <-- resized
50.jpg

100% zoom (full image) <-- actual full image @ 100%
100.jpg

100% crop (cropped image, as opposed to full image) <-- a crop of the actual image above.
100crop.jpg

sweeet picture by the way.

i understand now, thanks so much to both of you.:)

so 100% crop is like cutting a small portion of the original image at 100% without resizing, correct me if i am wrong.

by the way how do we post an image here?

correct.

host ur image in clubsnap's gallery,
Guide to posting images in ClubSNAP

or any other image hosting websites like photobucket, flickr, etc..

sweeet picture by the way.

100%crop ... eazy way , open ur picture in paint its always 100% view thn u crop

To crop means to cut. So your translation is the literal meaning.

nice shot fragnatic! i almost got wet.hehe.

care to share the details of the picture?

Last edited: