10 Realizations of a DSLR Newbie

Tucksoon

Dec 15, 2003
Source: http://www.digital-photography-school.com/10-realizations-of-a-dslr-newbie

1. What you see is not what you get.

2. To get what you see you need to understand light. That takes a lot time, effort and patience.

3. The best asset a photographer needs is anticipation and readiness to capture a moment.

4. There is time and place for all gear.

5. Some of the best photographs you see are not accidental. They are the end result of careful thinking and planning.

6. Overcoming the inertia of using a DSLR is not enough. Always remember to keep learning and try for improvement.

7. Possessing a DSLR doesn’t warrant you to be in manual mode always. Importance should be given to capturing the moment. Explore your creativity only if the situation permits.

8. Even if you don’t realize it, most of the photographs you see online are post processed. Take time to master some techniques. It will pay off in the long run.

9. Be gracious about your success rate. Only a few among the many photographs you have clicked will be useful.

10. Costly gear does not necessarily equate to better photographs. Know your existing gear like the back of your hand.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. Wow, carrying a DSLR around isn't as easy as those people wearing DSLRs around their neck!

there should be some more... like: ;p

11) the better you get at your skills, the smaller/lighter your camera/lens will be....
12) the best lens/camera/watever is the one at hand, not at home in the dry cabinet...
13) the number of pics you take at an outing is inversely proportional to your skills....

Last edited:
10 is very true.. like what always said..
its the subject, light and composition that matters.
:D

Tucksoon said:
Source: http://www.digital-photography-school.com/10-realizations-of-a-dslr-newbie

1. What you see is not what you get.

2. To get what you see you need to understand light. That takes a lot time, effort and patience.

3. The best asset a photographer needs is anticipation and readiness to capture a moment.

4. There is time and place for all gear.

5. Some of the best photographs you see are not accidental. They are the end result of careful thinking and planning.

6. Overcoming the inertia of using a DSLR is not enough. Always remember to keep learning and try for improvement.

7. Possessing a DSLR doesn’t warrant you to be in manual mode always. Importance should be given to capturing the moment. Explore your creativity only if the situation permits.

8. Even if you don’t realize it, most of the photographs you see online are post processed. Take time to master some techniques. It will pay off in the long run.

9. Be gracious about your success rate. Only a few among the many photographs you have clicked will be useful.

10. Costly gear does not necessarily equate to better photographs. Know your existing gear like the back of your hand.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the share. Can't agree more..

Useful pointers for newbies like myself.Thanks!:)

Use P&S 100% of the time= pro!!! Wakakakaka

One more .. You realised the differences when u shoot in RAW compared to JPEG ..

TWmilkteaTW said:
10 is very true.. like what always said..
its the subject, light and composition that matters.
:D

This point 10, also applies to many photographers, even those senior experienced ones.

Some of them looked down on other ppl's cheaper cam setups. I'm sure most of us kena this before

No one did a 10 realizations of a seasoned photographer?

1-10: all the rules that you've read before are all bollocks. No one actually cares.

:bsmilie:

This point 10, also applies to many photographers, even those senior experienced ones.

Some of them looked down on other ppl's cheaper cam setups. I'm sure most of us kena this before
No doubt about that..some people buy gear just to show off. Well. I guess 1 shouldnt look down on anyone..not just in the photography field but in many other sector/interest too. : )

yah and there are lots of ppl who take very good photos with kit lens, or even PnS :)

Those people are not 'seasoned photographers' but simple gear heads. A seasoned photographer would look at your results.

While I agree, I doubt 'newbies' would really get these points. Heck, even old birds sometimes don't ;)

there should be some more... like: ;p

11) the better you get at your skills, the smaller/lighter your camera/lens will be....
12) the best lens/camera/watever is the one at hand, not at home in the dry cabinet...
13) the number of pics you take at an outing is inversely proportional to your skills....

14) Post-processing ain't cheating. Use wisely. Start with a proper picture.

Thanks for sharing, every day still learning to shoot better :)
But most important you must hv your camera with you all the time :)

Yea some gear heads..are usually (fill in the blanks). Since they are carrying the more expansive stuff..and when you're carrying something not close or on his level..the look on their faces really... and these people usually keep staring at your gear then look at theirs. Oh come on~ But people..pls dont get mad and start buying..if not u will be like them.
it kinda annoying sometimes..

Whereas the seasoned photographer or humble ones..some are really nice people.. Everyone should be like them..but we know thats not gonna happen. All kind of people exists.