10 Jul need to pay $$ for SBG carpark...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teo

May 17, 2002
Visit site
No choice, seems that SBG lovers drivivng there need to pay for carpark, no more free parking from 10 Jul onwards.

Reasons given that drivers need to wait 15 mins for parking lot??
What logic??? But does it mean that if we pay there will be no waiting time??

Just worried one fine day, we need to pay $$ per head count for normal park entrance fee....

These highly paid executives and consultants always have to find the easy way out ..... :thumbsd:
Everywhere and everything they charge, even for $0-50 to enter Sungei Buloh wasteland! What is the use of multi billions budget surpluses and citizens are asked to pay for everything! If i am not wrong, senior citizens in HK travel free on public buses and also free entry to certain public places, such as Museums, etc...

i read abt it too..

the charges apply to the carpark near the visitors's center or all the carparks? like the one beside the smu/ old NIE?

Hi

I vaguely remembered the article mentioning a few hundred lots are affected as well (Correct me if i'm wrong). Which part of the garden has that many lots? Anyone any idea where they are? Of course, they might be refering to the old NIE carpark lots?

BTW, I was at the gardens when they are still erecting the gantry. The notice was so funny. It said that the actual date of activation was on 1 July.. but to encourage visitors to visit the gardens (or something like that).. they decide to give all a 10 day reprieve!! If they want more people to visit the park and to promote a healthy & active lifestyle, they shouldn't erect any gantry there!! Another scholarly thinking to generate revenue :cry:

Moreover, to counter-argue, would putting a gantry there solve the carpark problem! I think all u learned people out there already know the answer to this 'dumb' question! To solve carpark problems, the solution rather simple...

I think they just installed a ERP-style gantry at all the entrance to SBG.
But I agree that we should pay for the carpark, I even want to go extra to suggest to ban all carbon-monoxide emission vehicles in and around SBG. I go there to breathe fresh air, not to breathe the "free" carbon-monoxide".:sweat:

Hi Astin, I read your comments with some amusement. I see what u r trying to point at. However, there'll still be a need for coaches and cabs to ferry our dear tourists (Spore can't do without them, u know).
Anyway, Spore is too small to breathe in 'fresh' (depends how u define it) air. This I can say with certainty as I did a study once with actual field data. Thanks for the comments, they are funny!

no need to grumble
if one can afford a car, then 10 dollars is insignificant.
so, stop grumbling.
want to park, then pay. dont want to park, then dont pay.
no need to make a fuss out of it.:thumbsup:

Can afford a car complain for what? If think too expensive, then boycott, don't go lah...If everybody stop going, then no cars. If no cars, they sure give free parking again. ;p

as stated in the newspaper report, they are apparently doing this coz National Parks received alot of complaints about the scarcity of carpark lots, and there's a case when ppl fought over a carpark lot..

then doesnt it mean tat people are shooting themselves in the foot by complaining in the 1st place? ironic isnt it? haha.. :bsmilie:

maybe 1 day we need to...

went to this park in sabah, paid $5 ringgit to bring my camera inside.. in e end, din manage to shoot much coz was trekking uphill.. siong.. :embrass:

germ_boi said:
aiyah, buy car,

at least $60k for a nissan sunny.

whats 0.01k?

:D

that's how being squeeze dried... drip by drip......

Really befuddles me how folk who drive a car regularly and spending upwards of $100 or more a month in petrol can complain about a few bucks of parking charges to the SBG. How often do they go to the SBG? 4x a month? Will the parking charges come up to more than $10 for all those visits?

People forget that the government has shifted the balance towards taxing car usage as opposed to car ownership, the end result being that COEs are now the lowest they have have been for more than a decade, do the people complaining here remember that part? Naturally the upshot of that policy is that you would expect greater cost in using cars, such as parking charges, etc., right?

Please take the good with the bad.

dkw said:
Really befuddles me how folk who drive a car regularly and spending upwards of $100 or more a month in petrol can complain about a few bucks of parking charges to the SBG. How often do they go to the SBG? 4x a month? Will the parking charges come up to more than $10 for all those visits?

People forget that the government has shifted the balance towards taxing car usage as opposed to car ownership, the end result being that COEs are now the lowest they have have been for more than a decade, do the people complaining here remember that part? Naturally the upshot of that policy is that you would expect greater cost in using cars, such as parking charges, etc., right?

Please take the good with the bad.
COE planning/car ownership and parking charges are not related. They weren't factored and planned for by the same ppl.

AFAIK, places like thailand, some places in China(i haven't been to all) and Tibet allows locals to park and enter places of interests for FREE while they only charge the tourists. I've not seen any of this happening in sg.

Hmm... if u wanna complain abt paying parking fees going to SBG, there's another way out that costs 10 times cheaper.

Take a bus/cab. Sell ya car.

Here... read the history....
http://www.sbg.org.sg/aboutus/ourhistory.asp

It was founded by enthusiasts, run by enthusiasts until now, where the direction has changed to turning it into a tourist attraction. Along with the parking fees.;)

Reminds me of the song, Big Yellow Taxi... heh... tourism sells....money talks... ;)

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swingin' hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot

Ooooh, bop bop bop
Ooooh, bop bop bop

They took all the trees, and put em in a tree museum
And they charged the people a dollar and a half to see them
No, no, no
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot

anything for them to make a quick buck...:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd: I boycott SBG now.

My POV is..

People complain, they have 3 choices, implement paid parking or build more lots, or remove all lots. Since the $ to build more lots come from most of us, and 90% of us don't go there, least park there. So problem solved by implement paid $.

agree wif niki tt pple shooting themselves in the foot this time...

Its the principle of the thing. the explanation that it will ease parkings seems to imply that less cars will park there because of the fees. Does that go against the idea of getting people into the wetlands anyway? Public transport to that region sucks, itsa first come first serve system, you cant cater to everyone with cars if there are no lots, paid or not there are NO lots. damn middle management logic to make more money thats all it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.