10 degrees, what happens to the lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprintist

Nov 13, 2006
Singapore
www.oddinary.com.sg
Hi all, will be travelling to italy on 1st may. heard the weather there at this time will be ard 10++ degrees. Is it too cold for the lens? If yes, how should I go about taking care and keep my lens there? Hope to recieve some help soon here. Thanks all in advance. :bsmilie:

Wa, grats!

=D I also want to go to Italy, I'm sure you'd bring a lot of great street photos back. Beware of condensation, I guess, do not just whip out camera when you undergo sudden temperature changes, esp from cold to warm.

LCD might not operate so well, according to my camera manual, but it's not a permanent thing. The humidity in Europe is much lower than here, so don't need any dry box, I think, but I'm not sure about this line. =D

Hmm, i dont suppose there are that many hot places around there..unlike singapore from aircon to outdoors. haha

Anyway, its more of a trip to understudy how my uncle do business..so i dont think i got much chance to shoot..but will just try my best..havent been going overseas since the last one..which was army training haha..

Hmm, i dont suppose there are that many hot places around there..unlike singapore from aircon to outdoors. haha

Anyway, its more of a trip to understudy how my uncle do business..so i dont think i got much chance to shoot..but will just try my best..havent been going overseas since the last one..which was army training haha..
Bonk self. Yes, you told me, I just forgot it was Italy, heh.

Depends - if the temperature there is 10 degrees, there will be heat indoors. =D

10+ degrees is nothing for lenses. I have even used a P&S digital camera in 5 degrees weather. It worked just fine. LCD also functioned properly. Also have used SLRs in approximately -10 degrees weather (with about -20 degrees windchill). No problem either. But, as someone already mentioned, you have to be careful about condensation. Enjoy your trip.

hahaha...tts crappy. Anyway I will just leave the camera as it is thats all right? It wouldn't crack right? At least condensation part is more or less understoood =)

10+ degrees is nothing for lenses. I have even used a P&S digital camera in 5 degrees weather. It worked just fine. LCD also functioned properly. Also have used SLRs in approximately -10 degrees weather (with about -20 degrees windchill). No problem either. But, as someone already mentioned, you have to be careful about condensation. Enjoy your trip.

okay, I feel much more assured now. =) thanks alot!! Hope to get some pics back to share with all.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll enjoy to the best i can :D

Use a SLR backup. If you are using digital, make sure you keep your batteries warm and bring extra batteries.

10+°C is not cold. In fact, you'll love this temperature. But I think for this time of the year at Italy, you'll only meet a low 10's °C early in the morning or late at night, unless there is a cold front. Most probably you'll get as hot as 20+°C in the afternoon. Of course if you are up on a mountain, it'll be much colder though......

There no need to worry about your camera especially if the temperature is above 10°C.

Agree with most people here. 10 degrees C is NOT cold. My cold record for cameras is way below zero and they work perfectly fine, except a shorter battery life. The only thing you have to worry about are sudden temperature changes, like someone pointed out. If you take pictures in the cold outdoors, leave the camera inside the camera bag for a long time to minimize condensation.

And, SilentWave:
The windchill factor doesn't affect the camera. A camera "feels" the same temperature as a thermometer, regardless of wind.

You might find that your battery life is reduce in cold conditions. Watch out for condensation on the lens when you are moving from cold to warm areas. ie: outdoors to indoors.
Have fun n take lots of pics.

Use a SLR backup. If you are using digital, make sure you keep your batteries warm and bring extra batteries.

I dont think this is a good idea. I used a film SLR for my europe trip and my shutter "freezed" and i shot rolls of blanks. Whole trip only a few photos from my SLR (initial part) while my friend who uses a P&S have no problem. But temp was about -5 to 5 Deg then. When i came back to sg, the camera works fine. Funny thing is that i did hear the shutters clicks sound when i was shooting. Backing up with a P&S would be a better Idea as its easier to keep warm inside yr jacket.

I dont think this is a good idea. I used a film SLR for my europe trip and my shutter "freezed" and i shot rolls of blanks. Whole trip only a few photos from my SLR (initial part) while my friend who uses a P&S have no problem. But temp was about -5 to 5 Deg then. When i came back to sg, the camera works fine. Funny thing is that i did hear the shutters clicks sound when i was shooting. Backing up with a P&S would be a better Idea as its easier to keep warm inside yr jacket.

Probably you heard the mirror but the shutter was still frozen shut.

I known of people who uses DSLR at near freezing or freezing condition with no problem.

Well, at least, DSLR will tell you on the spot whether you have captured the image or not. I will bring a compact for backup usually.

BC

May in Italy will be late spring - unless you are going to the Italian Alpes, the weather around that time should be very nice, roughly 15-25 degrees - perfect weather. But even if it was 10 degrees, should be no problem, have used my cameras and lenses in 5 degree temperatures (below zero with the wind chill factor)

Yep, I had the same problem when I was in japan years back during late winter. My shutter froze for the very first picture I tried to take. So I brought my SLR indoors to warm it up :D after that, it works fine for the rest of the trip. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.