1 M43 Camera & 1 prime lens in Korea

heheapa

Mar 5, 2006
Pasir Ris, Singapore
It surprise me how a camera and a prime lens can do in my trip in Korea. I have brought my Canon 5D Mark II and several lenses, eg. EF 24-70L, 70-200L, 17-40L, 15mm Fisheye and my Panasonic G1X with 14mm & 25mm prime.
However, I ended up using the panny and 14mm prime most of the time. It was almost 95% with me and it's the only setup that I carried when I did hiking, street, family, .etc. My other gears were mostly inside the car or hotel.

Some comments on my m43 experience:
1. Light Weight - Good for travel light and I can now hike further and faster....
2. Single Dial. Not Friendly for Manual Mode. I have to use Aperture priority mode most of the shoots and I found I actually now focus more on the composition and photo than exposure setting.
3. Image quality not as good as my 5D Mark II but who care if not printing large. Low ISO on Panny is good enough for a A3 print as what I see.
4. The prime setup make me walk more if need zoom and concentrate on photo rather than trying different zoom range.
5. Shoot via LCD is good and I can easily show my cousin what composition that I want for the family photo.
6. AF is impressively fast. Just a little complaint on touch screen focusing which I always enable that accidentally with my finger....
7. The built-in flash does help for some filled-flash shoots but sadly it's not powerful enough.
8. Dynamic range isn't impressive in high contrast scenes.
9. No view-finder built. The EVF is expensive but I can see it's a must especially for shoot under bright sunlight....
10. No tilt LCD screen. It's an useful option for low/high angle shoots.
11. The handling is good. I can easily shoot with single hand.
12. Video is awesome but just the video button not very sensitive.

Here are some sharing from the trip:

#1 Horse and Seongsan Ilchulbong Peak, Jeju-Do
p628595202-4.jpg

#2 A long hiking path in Seopjikoji, Jeju-Do
p971868152-4.jpg

#3 Jusangjeolli Cliffs, Jeju-do
p900051920-4.jpg

#4 Tulip in Everland, Korea

p976563756-4.jpg

#5 Korean Girls, Gyeongbokgung Palace, Seoul

p721337986-4.jpg

#6 Gyeongbokgung Palace, Seoul

p721724201-4.jpg

Nice travel series, thank you for sharing. :)

For oversea travel most of my photo were using wide angle zoom about 80 to 90%, and when using zoom most of time I am using the wide end, interesting. Tele lens is very useful when you do not have the time or energy to walk. The remaining of the lens just leave it at home, is good to travel light. :)

more more!

great series!