1 lens for Macro and portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.

akagi07

Apr 6, 2006
Hi, as topic goes,

Currently owning a 50mm F1.8, but I really find it underutilized under my ownership.
I like to take macro, but ended up my kit len 18-105 looks better,
in term of bokeh, yes 50mm is good but i find still lack of something,

I found these in BnS section:
AIS 55mm F2.8 Macro

AIS Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8s

AI 105mm F2.5

manual lenses, checked up on web on AI and AIS, still bit confused. If my current D90, anything I might need to take note of if getting them?

also, all but AI 105mm F2.5 good for portrait.
I wondering if getting the macro, how it may affect when taking portrait, especially when the reproduction ratio is 1:2

noobie question :dunno:

All the lenses you stated are very good for portrait.Take not that these lenses are MF and may take some getting used to for AF users like you.AIS and AI are not very different in terms of optics but prices of AIS lenses are higher than AI.You may find that the 55 micro may be to short for portrait but that depends on ur shooting style.For portrait shooters,most use at lenses which are at least 85mm.

also take note that you will lose metering and auto exposure when used with your d90

i'd say save up and buy a current one
macro at 1:2 magnification is not as satisfying as 1:1
and you will end up buying another lens if you are seriously into macro

i'm not really sure abt serious macro-graphy as at most I'm into flowers or objects rather than insects.
I guess the reproduction ratio of 1:2 is enough :)

ok thanks for ortega bringing up this point on metering and exposure. I guess without them I might not be used to it yet in term of longer time require to take a perfect shot.
only thing is that i thinking of a longer focu length for portrait.
are there any any other ways to gauge the exposure on these MF lense?

*Addon,
I just went through some alternatives, Tamron 90mm macro. Can anyone advise?

Last edited:
AF-S Micro 60mm F2.8

The Tamron 90mm is a greeat tool on the cheap. Handles both macro and portraits.. but note that it might be a lil too sharp for portrait work.

I recently used the Tamron 90mm for some portrait work. I am familiar with the lens for macro, but that was the first time I shot portraiture with the lens. The lens handled well, and I was pleased with the shots. The variable max aperture may be a little unnerving, but that's all I have to rant about the lens.

Unfortunately I have not used the other 3rd party macro lenses to comment on them.

Your other choice will probably the Nikon AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED. You may wish to consider the older version of the lens too.

I recently used the Tamron 90mm for some portrait work. I am familiar with the lens for macro, but that was the first time I shot portraiture with the lens. The lens handled well, and I was pleased with the shots. The variable max aperture may be a little unnerving, but that's all I have to rant about the lens.

Unfortunately I have not used the other 3rd party macro lenses to comment on them.

Your other choice will probably the Nikon AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED. You may wish to consider the older version of the lens too.

The variable aperture only kicks in when you focus too close (i.e. macro distances) So it will not have any effect at portrait distances. Lock down the limiter and you won't have this problem.

an eye for '2 in 1', looking at 60mm 2.8 for macro, and the 90mm 2.8, both around the same price with Tamron slightly lower. Dilemma, looking at my current 50mm, and wish to have another for macro to replace it for macro n portrait.

The variable aperture only kicks in when you focus too close (i.e. macro distances) So it will not have any effect at portrait distances. Lock down the limiter and you won't have this problem.

Actually, you get minor changes in your aperture with every slight change in the focus. Aperture changes from f/2.8 to f/3 etc... Minor, but just somewhat irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.