$1 for WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
Will you insist on the auction $1 buy?
Will you sue the seller?
Looks like a foreigner living here wants to. He wants to impose his western style onto Asia.

I won't. I won't even try.

I know I am living in Asia, not USA.
The cultural rules are different here.
But Sing is quite law abiding.

quite.

If in other rougher countries, do not even think of this.
One may not live to drive the $1 car after forcing people to sell it at $1 by suing them.

Can provide the background to this? Not being in SG means that when I read this post I can only scratch my head and wonder what is this about...Thanks!

roygoh said:
Can provide the background to this? Not being in SG means that when I read this post I can only scratch my head and wonder what is this about...Thanks!
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/190376/1/.html

Said Mr Hoffman, "I just got the impression that Singaporeans don't take the Internet very seriously because it has not happened yet that somebody bought a car for S$1 and then sued the seller for the car. It happened in my country; it happened in the US; it happened in the UK and it always came out in a way that the seller had to give the car."

ricohflex said:
Will you sue the seller?
Looks like a foreigner living here wants to. He wants to impose his western style onto Asia.

If following legal commitments is "imposing western style", I'm all for it. For what I know, legal contracts and the rule of law are not a western invention, but something called "civilization".

One may not live to drive the $1 car after forcing people to sell it at $1 by suing them.

So the Asian style you seem to prefer is anarchy where people are free to cheat others and murder them?

Will you sue the seller?

No, I wouldn't insist on the seller to sell it at $1 or more. If it is an honest mistake.

Being a person of ethic. I doubt he/she would pursue the seller at all.

However, I dunno who taught me the phrase. "Double Standard" :bsmilie:

Could someone please enlighten me :devil:

if everything is according to the law, then i support the man to go ahead and sue the person.

It's about time we Singaporeans know that such auctions are not for masak masak.

Given that a car is so expensive here in Singapore, I would cut the seller some slack for an honest mistake. Some people forget that the guy could be selling the car because he could no longer afford it and by letting go of the car at $1, his financial troubles could be compounded. Not good to derive benefit out of someone's misfortune.

However, if it was a company selling stuff on their website and misquoting the price, that would be a different matter as they should have had some checks imposed.

ricohflex said:
Will you sue the seller?

I won't. I won't even try.

I know I am living in Asia, not USA.
The cultural rules are different here.
But Sing is quite law abiding.

quite.

Unfortunately this is the typical response from a lot of people I have had the "pleasure" to deal with here in Asia... When they realise they have lost out on a deal, they pull the pin regardless of what legally binding arrangement has been made... very sad.

You speak of "western style" as if its a bad thing but I suspect you would have loved the wild, wild west...

Gimp.

Unfortunately this is the typical response from a lot of people I have had the "pleasure" to deal with here in Asia... When they realise they have lost out on a deal, they pull the pin regardless of what legally binding arrangement has been made... very sad.

You speak of "western style" as if its a bad thing but I suspect you would have loved the wild, wild west...

Gimp.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience in Asia. But I am curious is the problem only confined in Asia?
The statistics and facts tell me otherwise. As we all know, It is the place for investments and business opportunities.

I wonder why :think: Are these investors and businessmen enjoyed banging the wall :bsmilie:

Cheers, it is the Chinese New Year.
May we all head for prosperity and happiness. :lovegrin:
Let have some festive spirit ......shall we?

Going home soon, family dinner :)

A contract is a contract. If there is no reserve price stated, It is the seller's fault.

weg said:
if everything is according to the law, then i support the man to go ahead and sue the person.

It's about time we Singaporeans know that such auctions are not for masak masak.

I fully agree with you.

somehow i think the poster do deserve something for the unethical cheap advertising, .. which might cause some misunderstanding... but did everyone read the last sentence of the article.. "A quick search on Yahoo! Singapore shows there are still hundreds of cars going for S$1..." ... go grab? hah...

Yea, i felt that the car shops ain't ethical in posting at such low prices in these auctions site. Comm'on they are "companies" auction site are more for consumers ><

Maybe this will stop them from doing so in the near future. And i got a feeling the buyer will get his car.... interesting case. :)

if sue...then still have to pay lawyer fees

so...might as well use the lawyer fees to buy a brand new car ;)

I hope he gets the car. That will teach Singaporeans the difference between an auction site and a classifieds site.

wether or not, the dealer lost their car, .. this approach might have cause some serious cold sweat..

hmm...

interesting..

there's obviously a lot of ways to get around this issue and even if the angmoh wins the lawsuit, he may not get the car... but i'm just gonna keep mum about this :)

I was trying to search for the word equivalent to "racist", but hates people from another country, couldn't find. Xenophobic is fear, not hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.