1/focal question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgbyte77

Mar 27, 2005
Singapore
I read that safe shutter speed is 1/60 and when using telephotos, the speed will depend on the focal length (i.e. approximately, 80mm = 1/80s, 200mm = 1/200s). So the question is, is it also okay to use 1/30s at 30mm, 1/20s at 20mm with no handshake? Does anyone practice this?

Actually that is just a guideline, dont need to be so precise. Your technique in camera holding and shutter pressing is more important, eg:
1. lean against a wall
2. hold yr breath when pressing shutter
3. press shutter in 1 slow and continue action no jerking

dawgbyte77 said:
I read that safe shutter speed is 1/60 and when using telephotos, the speed will depend on the focal length (i.e. approximately, 80mm = 1/80s, 200mm = 1/200s). So the question is, is it also okay to use 1/30s at 30mm, 1/20s at 20mm with no handshake? Does anyone practice this?

Astin's spot on.... It is just a guideline. If your camera holding is somewhat shaky shooting at 1/160 at 80mm will still yearn blurry pictures.

To add to Astin's advice about pressing the shutter. For me I have adapted to using abit of finger rolling action. It works well so far with all my previous SLRs and now DSLR. I position my "shutter' finger just off the shutter button and do a roll over onto the button. This was something I learnt a long time ago and it makes sense as I am not adding direct pressure to the button in a downwards action so it does not dip the camera down which is a motion in itself that cause blur. This is worst as Astin mentioned which is why using a smooth motion ( not jerky) to press the shutter button. Every bit helps especially if you are using slower speed like 1/30 to 1/10. You have to learn to practice this more till it takes place naturally. This is crucual because during those time you are in a rush to quickly shoot something or a quick scenario occurs and you try to shoot it in a panic state, you tend to press hard or jerk the button in your haste to capture the scene.

See my avatar on the left? Nice effect for a picture but if you actually shoot like that...you can be sure you will capture more blur shots heheheheh.....

when i got my dslr i experimented and i'd say if you have the right situation just try slower speeds. at smaller enlargements you might be able to get away with very slow speeds.

on my website see the 'school' section. 'school-5' was 1/2s and 'school-8' was 1s. obviously not that sharp, but just an example.

Bursting a few shots also helps 'cos the initial shot with the shutter button being pressed and the last shot with the shutter button being released will *usually* be slightly less stable than the middle ones.

The term commonly used "handshake" actually refer to a few things:
1. your body shake
2. your hand shake
3. your camera shake
4. your mirror shake
5. your model shake

Pls take note also. Learning to shoot with minimum "handshake" is important.

Thanks for the feedback guys...d7t3 .. saw your webpage.. seems like you got fast lens...but captured the mood .. I'll try experimenting indoors in my room without flash and see.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.