1 day old in photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

nautiboy

Feb 10, 2009
G'dday All Shutterbugs:),

I've just embarked on this new hobby yesterday. It all started with the frustration in compact camera as the final straw;(

List of purchased camera:

1990 - Can't remember the model but it looks space age at that time $750, film based.
1995 - Sony P1, $1355, 1st digital camera
2006/7 - Olympus U 800, $600.
2008 - Casion SX 10, $420.

Having suffered from lousy indoor/night/pixelated shots, having good memory photos ruined. It is time to get serious.....

It didn't take long to decide though, researched for:confused: 2 days which usually being influence by effective marketing and Kia-su technology syndrome - I've bought the 450D Kit at $1120.:sweat:

Read up on the net, mag, books and manual believing i can master the basic in 1 day as i'll be leaving singapore for a long holiday with the family, i'm sadly mistaken but not beaten.

I'm determine to master the basic functions to the best of my abilities in the next 8 days.

But this is where i need help:

Portrait and landscape are probably my current interests, and i would like to buy the following lens for this trip.

1. EF - S 55-250mm (being offered at 320)
2. EF-S 60mm Macro or 100mm(boa 190)
3. EF-s 10-22mm usm (dun know how much)
4. Later on, maybe the fish eye.
5. Extended eye piece
6. Remote cable

Question is - are the above a good combination, or have i overlook something or is plain useless? I welcome any comments, including price, location for best deals and anything.

Well, as we all know, being new always entails kana cut throat deep deep:nono: So, i wish you guys can give me a hand or some advices pls.

Thank you very much.

Hopefully, this hobby and enthusiasm does not end in 8 days.

Cheers

dont rush into buyin those lens
learn with wat u have first
play around with the camera
until u tink u are ready for them den buy wat u tink u will be using most or else u will fill with equipment u not using :)

dun rush into buying stuff... go ard and shoot more, read more and post more.

if u wanna see which lens suits u, go rent them to experience it. ^-^

if you are rich, go ahead and buy all the lens. if you want to take portraits and landscapes at amateur level, most prob you will need EF-S17-55 f/2.8 IS USM.

it's wider enough, plus the f/2.8 will give you good enough bokeh for potraits. if you think that it's not enough, buy another 50mm prime lor...

Dun forget to lug a tripod along.
It is the best friend for landscape photography, dun leave home without it.

U gotto set some priorties right.

Before u get another lense, please consider having a good tripod & an external flash. Remote trigger u can put it last as without tripod, it is very difficult to steady ur camera on parapets/support/dustdin(whichever u can find). Extended eye piece i got mine & seldom use it. Why? coz it drops off easily when walkabout as the camera brushes on my body so often. Get a cheap 50mm 1.8 II for your portrait & the rest can use the IS kit lense for now. As for fish eyes, I think its a novelty once it dies down... be prepare to sell at a lost. Another affordable landscape lense is 17-40L though it is a slow lense but it will force you to improve your technique without the help of IS.

Last but not least... welcome to the BBB Virus!!!

ahem...

my old MANTRA is coming out again.

READ MORE
SHOOT more
Post more

READ first.. 2 days to research is too SHORT. Have you tried out the camera, felt it in your hands? Found out about the pros and cons in all aspects?

Dun forget the other costs involved. Dry cabinets, tripods, remote releases, etc....

ahem...

my old MANTRA is coming out again.

READ MORE
SHOOT more
Post more

READ first.. 2 days to research is too SHORT. Have you tried out the camera, felt it in your hands? Found out about the pros and cons in all aspects?

Dun forget the other costs involved. Dry cabinets, tripods, remote releases, etc....

:bsmilie:
btw TS, welcome!
if you're seriously interested in landscape, i think a few filters are needed... GND, CPL?
maybe a 50mm 1.8 will be enough to get you going for now.
and a tripod.

Your trip will be much more memorable and exciting if you focus more on learning the basics of your cam and shooting pictures rather than buying all you "want" and still don't know how to use them. Except for the most important item you need for your trip - TRIPOD.. Unless you intend not to be in the pictures of the places you've been to..

The 450D w/ kit lens is all you need for your coming trip.. When you get back, you'll know what to buy based on your trip.
Enjoy and Good luck..

Last edited:
Dear All, thanks for the advice and indeed i see that financial prudence is the underlying message here. Reading and research are my forte, while photography is not - thus the request of opinion. Thanks anyway.

Yes, forgot to mention i've a tripod too.

OK, i just bought the following 2 hrs ago:

1. Dry Cabinet
2. EF75-300mm USM
3. Cleaning kit
4. Some reading material

And yes, this will be where the "investment" will stop, for the moment.

Happy shooting to all...:D:D

Last edited:
oh yah..remember to get a decent cam bag with it hor..

I believe ur Canon bag might be too small to fit other stuff...

I think for your trip, your kit lens will be just perfect for everything. BUT extra battery is a MUST! and if you are feeling rich, battery grip and a external flash. External flash is good for shooting people.

I'll think it'll be good to get a 50mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.8 prime lens for portraits & high shutter speed.

Go holiday with family ?

You need a basic tripod to take those night shots and to get yourself in the picture as well!! :bsmilie:

Other than that, maybe a very basic flash, the pictures will look better if you are a quick learner. ( its an art unto itself in the field of photography,..... )

Dear All, thanks for the advice and indeed i see that financial prudence is the underlying message here. Reading and research are my forte, while photography is not - thus the request of opinion. Thanks anyway.

Yes, forgot to mention i've a tripod too.

1. Dry Cabinet
2. EF75-300mm USM
3. Cleaning kit
4. Some reading material

Happy shooting to all...:D:D

That lens is not worth buying. For the money spent on that lens, I hoped you had not been chop carrot head, you are well better off with the 55-250mm IS instead. USM is fast and silent but with a pair of not-so-steady hands, IS is what you need. I hoped you got a pair of steady hands.

That lens is not worth buying. For the money spent on that lens, I hoped you had not been chop carrot head, you are well better off with the 55-250mm IS instead. USM is fast and silent but with a pair of not-so-steady hands, IS is what you need. I hoped you got a pair of steady hands.

agree tat lens is a CMI (cannot make it) len
just 1 more flash and u can start out

1. Dry Cabinet
2. EF75-300mm USM
3. Cleaning kit
4. Some reading material

I suggest stopping for long moment. Never buy things just because you see them in shops or see other people using them. Buy equipment because you have a purpose for it and your current equipment is limiting you. Make sure the equipment is the limiting factor and not your knowledge and skills. I second the opinion that the 50-250 would have been a better option - a good example that your knowledge about equipment is still not there. And 8 days for the basics of photography :think: I have my doubts. It's not about knowing "sunny 16" or "higher f number is smaller opening" but applying the rather technical knowledge purposely in your shoots to achieve the outcome that you have in mind. Outcome starts with composition ... a topic far away from equipment :)

i suggest if u free go to the equipment discussion under canon see the comment bout the thing u plan buy for eg u can see cser comparing 55-250 to 75-300
frm there read wat they have to say bout both len and make a choice frm there
not juz becoz it can reach a 300mm mean it gd
i learn alot frm readin the comment

Yeah man.. try not to get too expensive equipment at the start or you'll never really learn the foundations properlly. If you must get a lens.. try getting the 50mm f1.8 prime lens.. it's cheap.. and a significant upgrade to your kit lens. plus you can get silky smooth bokeh shots!

Don't be discouraged and shoot alot of stuff.. Most of the techniques i learn't at home shooting random crap like my dogs toys, clothes pegs, flowers and the sky. Oh yeah.. Don't ever shoot at the sun without proper eye protection! It hurts like fuack... Speaking from experience.

Ask if you're not sure bout anything and keep the passion alive! Start a picture a day if you want so you can see your progress!

And good luck!

Thanks All. I'll update once i'm back, and post some pics if only i can make it : )

Many Thanks & Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.