02 vs Blackberry... just needing advice.. tks

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright before anyone flames me, i am very new to this PDA world.
its like asking Nikon or Canon... which is better...

but anyways, if you want to you could just let me know the main differences.
if you have used both, please comment too. good and bad.
(i wonder how palm is doing in this field too)

i notice that 02 is sold only in UK. Its not even sold in here..

thanks for any advice ahead of time. :cool:

O2 is sold here in abundance.... believe M1, Starhub and Singtel all have O2 products.

Do you need push mail? If not stick to O2. You get better PDA features in O2 as its based on PPC. BB is only good for its push mail feature. If email is your life line and you are constantly on the move, then BB would be useful to you.

Both have their own purpose. First ask yourself why do you need it for. What do you want to do with it.

oh i didnt mean 02 was sold ONLY in the UK.
I should have wrote... O2 is Not sold in the USA.

i am thinking of using it to plan my work and do email stuff...
i believe i might be neediing some sort of planner in the future.
i had a Palm V long ago.. .but it didnt seem too useful when i was a student then..
I had my stuff well planned out on paper and pen...

what is the push mail feature about?

Hi,

Why not get the best of both worlds and go with a Symbian OS BlackBerry Connect-capable Sony Ericsson P910i?

1) BB=

no camera(prob for corporate security), nice QWERTY thumbboard, Push Mail, NO expandable memory, ugly- subjective, REQUIRES BB service to optimise all it's functions eg. internet clippings. Good PIM mgmt system but not exactly a smartphone in all respects.

2) O2 XDA IIi/ mini/ IIs=

(megapixel, for some) camera, expandable memory to 2GB SD, PPC, NO Push Mail, IIs and IIi is BIG, no keypad - feels wierd tapping the delicate screen for dailing, reasonable MP3 playback.

3) SE P910i=

VGA :( Camera, expandable to 1GB memory MS Pro Duo, BlackBerry Connect capable, QWERTY + handwriting + keypad, Symbian UIQ OS, wonderful speaker and MP3 playback (hey.... it's a Sony MP3 player :p)

I guess I'm biased but I was also stuck in your situation when i finally decided to go with the SE P910i recently.

:p P10i user

litefoot said:
Do you need push mail? If not stick to O2. You get better PDA features in O2 as its based on PPC. BB is only good for its push mail feature. If email is your life line and you are constantly on the move, then BB would be useful to you.
Bingo! litefoot just pointed out the main difference here. Push mail is a kind service that will "push" your corporate email to your BB, be it MS Exchange or Lotus Notes. You also can utilize your corporate's address book on your BB. But you need a BlackBerry Enterprise Server(BES) set up in your organization. Besides, BB also has all the essential PDA and phone functions.

If you can wait ... motorola should be releasing their razr berry ... would be seriously looking forward to this phone

haagen_dazs said:
oh i didnt mean 02 was sold ONLY in the UK.
I should have wrote... O2 is Not sold in the USA.

i am thinking of using it to plan my work and do email stuff...
i believe i might be neediing some sort of planner in the future.
i had a Palm V long ago.. .but it didnt seem too useful when i was a student then..
I had my stuff well planned out on paper and pen...

what is the push mail feature about?

Most PDA "pull" the email from the mail server. Simply put, you initiate by retrieving new mails by establishing a connection with your mail server. Just like your MS Outlook dialing into your ISP synchronizing email from your POP3 server.

Push mail feature an "always on" function. That is, you are constantly connected to your mail server. You will be notified when an email arrives in your mailbox. Its online and real time.

Someone has pointed out that BB needs a BES. Depending on your service provider, there is also a feature which allow your BB handset to be connected to any POP3 mailbox to enjoy the push mail feature.

BB handsets from RIM are designed for the main purpose of the push mail feature, therefore its not as feature rich as PPC based PDAs which allow you to do a wide range of applications.

Yep.If you check your mail regularly, perhaps you might not need a RIM.

O2 not sold widely in USA..hmm.I wonder why..Perhaps too much competition from Treo and Blackberry?

go get the Treo 650, rated as the BEST PDA phone of 2005 in many publications.

LazerLordz said:
Yep.If you check your mail regularly, perhaps you might not need a RIM.

O2 not sold widely in USA..hmm.I wonder why..Perhaps too much competition from Treo and Blackberry?

you are right.
Treo and BB are flooding the market.
i cannot find 02. Even on ebay, all the 02 sets are shipped direct from the UK

haagen_dazs said:
tis out here already..
jsut saw it.. going for 200 USD (320 SD)
looks actually more like a flip phone than those box shape PDA

alright
i just went to check for some deals
this razr phone is now free with a 2 year plan.
man i love USA's deals =)

Singapore should really catch up with the USA in such great deals..

///
Amazon.com has the new Motorola RAZR V3 Phone Special Edition Black (Cingular) for $150 - $150 rebate [Exp 8/10] with activation = Free with free shipping
///

my dad has both the BlackBerry and O2.

Blackberry:
non-stop GPRS connection.
secure phone, able to restore all data should you lose your phone, as data is not only stored in your phone, but in a main server.

O2 xDa II:
expandable memory (SD card)
camera
more functions (WIN platform)

It's all up to your needs and preference..

Status
Not open for further replies.