$0.20 service charge for topping up Easilink card at atms and axs stations

Zenten

Deregistered
Jun 13, 2004
Driving the economy.......$$$

well, not very nice to not inform before whacking. (or have I been living under a stone all this while?)

They say originally they were to waive it for a year, but they already generously extended it to four years liow. We should be grateful. Anyway, it goes to the banks.

Looks like it's new: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/ez-link-top-up-surcharge/1238836.html

Had no idea too. Back to ticketing machines then, which isn't a huge hassle since most will pass thru either an interchange or train station at some point. Technically a good thing for ATM users as it means less people will be doing card topups. Haha.

Last edited:
Looks like it's new: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/ez-link-top-up-surcharge/1238836.html

Had no idea too. Back to ticketing machines then, which isn't a huge hassle since most will pass thru either an interchange or train station at some point. Technically a good thing for ATM users as it means less people will be doing card topups. Haha.
The problem with the machines at the MRT stations/bus interchanges is that if you own those kind of debit card that has ez-link function, you can't top it up, because your ez-link card is also your NETS card (so you need to remove the card from the reader to pay, which ends the transaction). If you're one of those people, you either suck it up, or you go to the ATM to draw money and go back to the general ticketing machine to top up.

$hat.. need to top up $100 at a time to minimize cost then

All along I assumed there is a charge, didnt knw it was waived..lol

They say originally they were to waive it for a year, but they already generously extended it to four years liow. We should be grateful. Anyway, it goes to the banks.
Grateful? If they can live and prosper for 4 years already without this fee then there is no reason for being thankful. They just show their ugly greedy face right now. Like a drug dealer: create dependency, then suck dry.
There are alternative ways :)

True. I once waited in line at an ATM while a PRC topped up 4 cards for her friends and relatives, ignoring the people behind her.

Last edited:
Grateful? If they can live and prosper for 4 years already without this fee then there is no reason for being thankful. They just show their ugly greedy face right now. Like a drug dealer: create dependency, then suck dry. There are alternative ways :)

It is a business, not a charity.

Cash cards and easilink cards are big biz. Imagine the amount of $ banked in with interest free! Every month, you have millions to invest or simply put in a bank, you already earn a bomb.

Don't forget the card also cost $ and those people who lost or don't even use them. I would expect the easilink card operator to install free top up machines just like bank ATM. If this is a bad biz, why not allow all debit and card cards to operate like easilink cards? I am sure technology is capable to perform that function.

Grateful? If they can live and prosper for 4 years already without this fee then there is no reason for being thankful. They just show their ugly greedy face right now. Like a drug dealer: create dependency, then suck dry.
There are alternative ways :)

Indeed. Actually I have never topped up my cards at ATMs and AXS machines. Just use the purple top up machines at the interchanges and MRT stations. Normally no queue.

Indeed. Actually I have never topped up my cards at ATMs and AXS machines. Just use the purple top up machines at the interchanges and MRT stations. Normally no queue.

Yeah. I myself never even knew that we can top up in atms and AXS.

Always do it at the station machines

Yeah, keep that in mind for your next posting :bsmilie:

Well, you do need to consider their business cost. EZlink don't own the ATMs and AXS machines - why should the owners let EZlink users use it free? In many countries, if you withdraw money from a ATM not belonging to your bank, you will need to pay the "convenience" fee.

Well, you do need to consider their business cost. EZlink don't own the ATMs and AXS machines - why should the owners let EZlink users use it free? In many countries, if you withdraw money from a ATM not belonging to your bank, you will need to pay the "convenience" fee.
That's not disputed.
But what is irritating (to put it mildly) is that for several years EZlink as well as the participating banks have made a good profit without charging any additional fees. Legally, there is the term of 'implicit acceptance' of something that is not clearly described contractually but both parties have agreed to the way it is handled and charged after some time. So as customers we should clearly say "No, we have accepted it this way." - Let's not feed these people and just use those top up facilities that are foc.

We're so much behind China that they (China) are using handphone SIM card to pay for public transport.
Just tap your handphone at the MRT gantry reader just like using your cash card.
Just top up your SIM card value via internet banking or pay thru your regular handphone bill.
So convenient.

When will it happen for Singapore ?

Last edited:
We're so much behind China that they (China) are using handphone SIM card to pay for public transport.
Just tap your handphone at the MRT gantry reader just like using your cash card.
Just top up your SIM card value via internet banking or pay thru your regular handphone bill.
So convenient.

when you pay enough :bsmilie:

There's NFC ez-link, which allows you to set up an e-wallet on NFC enabled phones under the various telcos, but the implementation seems pretty crap for now. Plus they are delaying the rollout for buses/trains for some reason... Maybe haven't figured out how to charge yet. Wanna see how people respond to the $0.20 fee first :bsmilie:

*However, the ez-link purse for NFC cannot be accepted for payments on public transportation such as buses and trains, ERP and EPS until a later date.

http://www.ezlinknfc.com/faqs-2/

There's NFC ez-link, which allows you to set up an e-wallet on NFC enabled phones under the various telcos, but the implementation seems pretty crap for now. Plus they are delaying the rollout for buses/trains for some reason... Maybe haven't figured out how to charge yet. Wanna see how people respond to the $0.20 fee first :bsmilie:
Maybe it's too complex to coordinate two transport operators and a payment system? Or the operators are not familiar with the topic, after all they only run trains and buses from A to B as per standard procedure. There's no mentioning about "make the ride convenient and pleasant for the commuters" :bsmilie: