‘Good Places / ’ - a medium and large format photography exhibition 10-18 Aug 2013

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
helping this group (some of them are CSers too!) to promote their exhibition - we should support!
-oOo-​

‘Good Places / 好地方’ is a medium and large format photography exhibition held in Singapore. As the name implies, this year’s theme revolves around the ‘Good Places’, or ‘好地方’ found in Singapore. The images on display are the heartfelt works of an ardent group of Singaporean film photography enthusiasts. The aim of this exhibitionis to promote the virtues of film photography, as well as to showcase the best of Singapore’s landmarks.

This exhibition is unique as all the images are shot on film, instead of the ubiquitous digital camera. Specifically, medium and large format film are used as opposed to the conventional 35mm film. The benefits of larger format film is an image with greater dynamic range, tonal nuances and finer details. There is also that alluring ‘film-like’ look that is almost impossible to replicate digitally. Most importantly, film is tangible. Your images and your memories are eternally etched into the negatives. They are yours to hold, to caress and to physically safe keep in your drawer. While your digital image lives at the mercy of the next hard-disk failure, your precious moments captured on film is physical, permanent and enduring.

Our little group of friends and film enthusiasts gather for weekly outings to seek out and capture Singapore’s ‘好地方’ (good places) through our lens. As Singapore rapidly modernises, shiny high-rises are erected while the historical landmarks are getting lost and forgotten. Sterile glass and steel are fast replacing these heritage-laden sites that are a crucial part of our cultural identity. As such, there is a need to preserve the memories of these significant sites for the benefit of our generation and the next. Additionally, the exhibition also aims to educate the public about the lost and beautiful art of film photography. Through our images, we hope to share our joy and passion for film photography with you.

Where: Millenia Walk, Level 1,
9 Raffles Boulevard Singapore 039596
(Nearest MRT: Promenade, Circle line)

When: 10 – 18 August 2013

http://www.facebook.com/goodplacesphotos?fref=ts

Last edited:
Thank you nightwolf75 for helping to list this event. Here is one of the exhibition publicity poster

Last edited:
Someone asked so i thought I post here too. Admission is free. The exhibition will be at the open area in front of TCC and MEDZ at Level 1 of Millenia Walk.

Thank you for my paper (我报)for writing about this exhibition today.

and also to LianheZaobao (联合早报) for featuring it as a cover story for the Lifestyle section today.

The exhibition started today. We have a steady stream of visitors and some of them are from Clubsnap.
Thank you everyone for taking your time to visit the exhibition today. We value your help, support and comments.

Hi Guys,

Job well done. I happened to chance on it yesterday during lunch.
All shots were indeed splendid and had a good time talking to the owner.
Sorry I didn't get his name but he was certainly in the spirit of sharing knowledge.
All the best and keep it up. I would visit again today.

Cheers...

thanks Ed for visiting. Hope you had the chance to talk to the few photographers "on duty" there.

Thanks Ben for yr kind words. Hope you will visit the exhibition again!

We have a touching moment there yesterday. Below is a description by Jonathan (Nikkornos) on what happened yesterday while projecting 6x6 slides.

"Just before the presentation of 6X6 slides today in Milleniawalk, a gentleman Mr. Ang came early and asked me if his slides are OK to view. I checked his very old 135mm slides on the light box and told him the slides are very well kept indeed. These were from Singapore 1960s in Ulu Sambawang. He asked me is there a way to view the slides, as his family pictures were mostly ruined by moisture over the years. I spent some time to convert to the 135mm slide adapter on the vintage EIKI slide projector. I chose his Ah Mah (grand mother's photo) and projected a 2ft by 1 ft image on the white screen. It was awesome.

Mr. Ang's reaction was magical. He murmured "Ah Mah!!!" and went forth to the screen and touch the image. It was so real to him (never seen a slide projection before) , and so was us on the old image. Desmond Leong was a witness. Mr. Ang was close to tears.

i was stunned. I looked at the photo and Ah Mah, and it must be a leap of SPACE/Time for Mr. Ang for over 50 years. It also reminds of my grand mother in the 60s.

Mr. Ang gave me his slides. 1960s , his old house, his father, and his dog. It was like a time machine. I will scan them so that he can view them on TV, print photos or view from his HP. Forever and ever.

I feel good today. Like never before for many years."

Reactions: sfoto100
Hi there

I was there yesterday evening and I enjoyed the wonderful exhibition and sharing from David and Billy.
Keep up the good work guys!!

David, thanks for all your LF tips....
I am not shooting LF now but will probably jump ship sooner than later!

Cheers,
Paul

would not want to miss such a rare event. hoping to drop by this saturday, and hopefully have a chat with the masters.:)

Hi there

I was there yesterday evening and I enjoyed the wonderful exhibition and sharing from David and Billy.
Keep up the good work guys!!

David, thanks for all your LF tips....
I am not shooting LF now but will probably jump ship sooner than later!

Cheers,
Paul

Paul !

Thanks for popping by! See you with your new LF gears very sooooooon! :p

Regards,
David

Last 2 days to catch this exhibition. Since it is the weekend, the photographers will be on site to chat and to show some 35mm/ 6x6 slides and even 8mm motion film.