IPOS Links on Copyright - Essential for Photographers to understand their rights

Therefore, something called the Creative Commons have been established as an alternative to Copyright. Work created using Creative Commons go straight to the public domain.

Incorrect. From the Creative Commons website itself:
"Creative Commons licenses are not an alternative to copyright. They work alongside copyright, so you can modify your copyright terms to best suit your needs."

While the standard copyright symbol is a 'c' in a circle, the Creative Commons symbol is two 'c's in a circle. Under the Creative Commons, artists still maintain the right to their work, however, other artists are free to use/manipulate/interpret the work as they wish.

No, others are free to use only to the extent that the copyright owner allows.

This helps creativity and innovation to progress. Imagine a world in which you can be sued creating a work, just because it's too alike another, even if you have never seen the other piece before. Would that be a world you want to live in? Not me.

Nobody lives in such a world. You have not infringed copyright if it cannot be proven that you copied. Say you lived on a deserted island for the past 5 years without any contact with the rest of the world, and one day you come back and try to promote this new song that you wrote, and everyone tells you, "Hey, that's Michael Jackson's This Is It!", you have not infringed his copyright simply because you did not copy.

In conclusion, copyright has its own purpose and use but personally, it's the Creative Commons for me, even when it comes to my own work :)

There would be no Creative Commons without copyright.

Like one wise guy said 'If you copy from one author that's plaigarism but if you copy from many authors - that's Creativity'
I don't take a stand for or against copyrights. I told all my clients that my photos & videos I did for them are not copyrighted & they are free to use them in any way they feel like it. I even gave them some of my special creations but not how I did them. Recently I took 10 photos of the Marina Bay skyline at night & stitched them together & print to a super panoramic photo measuring 10" X 76" I mount it on foam board & gave them to my friends & customers. Sorry I still don't know how to insert the image. Can someone guide me in that.
Thanks

i definitely wouldnt want any1 to use my photo without me agreeing to it:sweat:

For those who are still unsure about copyright laws in Singapore, IPOS (Intellectual Property Office of Singapore) has in-depth information about copyrights.

IPOS pages on Copyright

Click on the dropdown (marked About IP) and select the relevant Copyright pages (links reproduced here for ease of reference)

1. About Copyright
2. Ownership and Rights
3. Infringement and Enforcement
4. Specific Copyright Issues
(Covering "Copyright and the Internet", "Exceptions", "Copyright and the Internet" etc.)

There are a couple other links which may be relevant to others.

bro all the links shows error page not found....

With the recent PDPA (Personal Data Protection Act) coming into play next year, it makes photographer's job no less easier. I heard from some fellow photographers that we could be infringing the law when we post up photos of a client's event/wedding if the guests at the event decline to be featured in it afterwards.

I actually called in the Personal Data Protection Commission SG hotline to clarify on it, the call personnel told me that as long it is a public space and the photos are taken using reasonably means, it is fine.

Nowadays I added a clause - a model release and also requires my client to gently inform them of the presence of a photographer and they may be featured online.

Two-three years ago someone took photos of me without my express permission. I looked very ugly and don't wish to have my photos taken. Angry, I went down to the neighbourhood police post. The police cannot help me because my photos are taken in a public place. I learned that I do not have the right to demand that the photographer delete my photos. I requested the police officer to contact the photographer. He said he can't because it's against the regulations. The police cannot help me in this matter and said that if i want, i can engage a lawyer and start a civil suit.

You need to go through the proper channel to get things done.

I think copyright is a selfish way of doing things. But it's essential for making money.

In my opinion, I'll allow people to use my some of my photographs and even sell them, but give me credit for the photo. If they place it on their website, then they have to allow others to copy my photo like what they had done.

On contrary, if I took some photos for business use, I would not even think of making it free. Think in the shoes of those who have to live on their photo earnings. If you did not protect your photos, they would be freely avaliable and worth nothing.

That's why I like the Open-initiative - allows people to share stuff fairly, but I don't apply it to all my works.

With you!! why to limit others when they are ready to give credit to you.