Thread: Making $ by taking photographs

Default Making $ by taking photographs

Not sure is this an appropriate place to post this.

Any pro here care to offer advises on earning extra income from taking photographs ? Like what are the essential requirement, where to go about, etc.

Thanks.

Raymond

skills, portfolio, and the correct equipment too..... and the necessary contacts which will help u as u go along... what line u are going to be in ? Studio ? Landscape ? or what ?

If you are serious about getting assignments for photo jobs, you need to possess at least some minimal level of skill. Please do not make learning-as-you-go a main objective. When you take an assignment, you owe a responsibility to your client that you will deliver acceptable quality of work. The client is paying you to take pictures for him/her, not paying you so that you can learn while on the assignment. If you are not confident of doing an assignment well, be responsible enough and dun take the job. This way, the client can find someone else that can. Because most photography jobs don't allow a second chance at it. This is partly about being service-orientated and being responsible.

How about being into landscape? What contacts are there?
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondb

Any pro here care to offer advises on earning extra income from taking photographs ? Like what are the essential requirement, where to go about, etc.

Thanks.

Raymond
    Before you even attempt to sell shots you will need a solid portfolio of your work with prints of at least 10x8" in size. Next you will need suitable equipment for your endeavours, this can range from simple gear to tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear depending on what you are shooting.

Next you'll need to know and I mean really know your local market and the general market for the anticipated area of sales you intend to break in to, a good solid understanding of local business law, practices, copyright laws, tax law and so on helps (in otherwords a good understanding of running a business)

Finally you'll need luck, talent and the ability to sell yourself and your work.

It's not easy, don't expect much renumeration for a few years and do not expect to become famous or even well known.

Cheers,
    Ian
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Thanks.

Raymond
    Earning extra income from taking photographs? Like doing it partime?

Go to the newstands and get yourself a bunch of magazines. The answer might be in them.

Default For Ian

Hi Ian,

Hmm..... I would appreciate if you could tell us how u started off being a professional. WHat kind of photography do you do as a business here in Perth ? Just Curious.

Whoa, he's still alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Whoa, he's still alive!
    Young Jed,

No matter where we are,
    in heaven or hell,
    in sickness and health,
    YOU ARE ALWAYS ON OUR MINDS!

ask glennyong how he makes money out of photography. I heard he takes and sells pics to earn money.

Right glennyong? care to share how you got into this line? And what kind of pics do you take?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

So much for general answers (luck, PR, gear blah blah). Why not give the guy some real contacts for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by LimCB
    So much for general answers (luck, PR, gear blah blah). Why not give the guy some real contacts for a change?
    Contacts are a sensitive topic. It's like asking shops to tell you their cost price. Well I don't have any contacts for sure.

Anyway I din't see anyone offering general answers like luck, PR and gear.
    I only saw useful tips, guidance and insights.
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 7th November 2004 at 12:14 PM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

hmmm....

starting off : get a portfolio...print name cards.... depend on the type of photog u goin into look for the appropriate people... eg goin into portraits....attach to a guru or something...sooner or later the contacts will start poring in if u do a good job and keep ya clients satisfied....

people will approach u...no need so busy in the long run....

cheer...

Quote Originally Posted by marcwang
    Hi Ian,

Hmm..... I would appreciate if you could tell us how u started off being a professional. WHat kind of photography do you do as a business here in Perth ? Just Curious.
    I started shooting professionally in my mid teens when I landed a job working for a suburban newspaper in Sydney in the mid-late 1970s.

Most of my work these days centers around commercial product, machinery, architectural and site photography along with a heavy dose of sports and stock work as well as comissioned work with wildlife. Of late I've rediscovered the joys of shooting the performance arts, something I've not done much of since the mid 80s.

Things I don't do: hatchings and dispatchings, weddings and street.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    Contacts are a sensitive topic. It's like asking shops to tell you their cost price. Well I don't have any contacts for sure.

Anyway I din't see anyone offering general answers like luck, PR and gear.
    I only saw useful tips, guidance and insights.
    The irony don't you see? Some people can criticise what others comments, but ownself fail to give any sights on the question/purpose of this thread heehee ignore Cashes, PolarBears and Minoxmans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Whoa, he's still alive!
    Nah, more like half dead!!! Have a filthy deep seated cold/bronchitis at present that's making life somewhat miserable.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Hey Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

Anytime you need an assistant to carry your tripod ,camera equipment, I'll be first inline to volunteer. I'll be priviledged to see you work.

Really appreciate all your helpful replies.

Agree that its always tough to get into something that is new to one, but there must be a start somewhere.

Is a job of taking wedding photos a good starting point for getting into this photographing circle?

If one were to sell his photos, where can he go about?

What would be the minimum start-up cost? What equipments to purchase for the minimum need?

I am not totally new to photographing, my first photo was taken twenty years ago, but all along, was doing it as an hobby.

Thanks.
    Raymond
    Last edited by Raymondb; 8th November 2004 at 08:38 AM.

Really appreciate all your helpful replies.

Agree that its always tough to get into something that is new to one, but there must be a start somewhere.

Is a job of taking wedding photos a good starting point for getting into this photographing circle?

If one were to sell his photos, where can he go about?

What would be the minimum start-up cost? What equipments to purchase for the minimum need?

I am not totally new to photographing, my first photo was taken twenty years ago, but all along, was doing it as an hobby.

Thanks.
    Raymond
    think for wedding photos, must not screw up bcos cannot re-take one

also, if screw up own reputation , then jia lat liao...... i know couple who posted on forums , telling the world of how lousy the photographers they engaged and make a big fuss out of it (well, it is wedding, once in a lifetime)

maybe can try playing around and brush up skills.... as u get along...u will know what kind of equipment to buy

lastly, think weddings photography very fun to take......so far, i have been enjoying it a lot........