Thread: v1

Default v1

Hello (: is it recommendable to get a v1 ?

What's your intent for getting this camera? what. Will you use it for?

Hmm. Is it suitable for portrait ?(:

Default Re: v1

Pinkdots, if you want useable answers, you need to learn to ask the RIGHT QUESTIONS. Put in at least some modicum of effort and don't just expect everyone to read your mind.

Some info about your photography experience (new / experienced / returning enthusiast etc), what level are you aiming for (snapshots, family pix, great works of art?), what gear you have now (other that the 18-200).

Sorry about my vague introduction. Okay here's a clearer one (:
    I'm having a D5000 with 18-55 mm lens and 18-200 mm lens. I'm thinking of getting another body until I saw this v1 featuring on the newspaper. I'm only a beginner actually ... And recently into wedding photography as two of my cousins are getting married soon.
    So I'm wondering if it's suitable for portrait as well as other events like landscape or something.

in what way is d5000 limiting u? why not just stick with d5000 n save the money on better glass instead of getting a v1? d5000 is also pretty beginner-friendly

to add on, d5000 has a larger sensor as compared to the v1. u will need to get in closer to the subject using the same focal length on the d5000 as compared to a camera with a smaller sensor like the v1 at the same focal length due to a wider field of view on the d5000. thus making it easier to isolate subjects from the background for portraits since the depth of field is shallower when using the d5000. u can get either a 35mm f/1.8G or a 50mm f/1.8G to go with ur current setup, cheaper and easier on ur pockets since u wanna do portraits.

with the money u could haf spent on v1, u can still get urself another decent flash like the sb-700 or sb-900 with money to spare
    Last edited by Irvine; 10th November 2011 at 02:19 AM.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

TS... first thing first... why do you need a second body? Is it because you do not like changing lenses often, is it because D5000 is too heavy or what? But from your description, you only have 2 lenses - 18-55 and 18-200mm.

You must have a clear idea of why you would want the second body before knowing if V1 is suitable for you. And to answer your question directly... yes, V1 can be used to take portrait shots too, and had a very good noise control. But it would just be a waste of money if you didn't make full use of it and letting it or your D5000 sit idly in your dry cabinet after whatever purchases made.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkdots View Post
    I'm having a D5000 with 18-55 mm lens and 18-200 mm lens. I'm thinking of getting another body until I saw this v1 featuring on the newspaper. I'm only a beginner actually ... And recently into wedding photography as two of my cousins are getting married soon.
    So I'm wondering if it's suitable for portrait as well as other events like landscape or something.
    I think it would be more appropriate for you to get a faster lens than getting a new camera like the V1. Unless you find the D5000 with kits is too heavy and big for you.

For more V1 details and discussion..you might want to visit our Nikon forums.
    Nikon

Stick to your D5K.
    Its a better camera overall over the V1 except for ease of video, size and taking better photos for the layman (yes, thats a feature in V1 via the multi-shot recommend best few option).

Like others mentioned, the significant money saved can go for a better lens or two or a flash, which will do much more for your photography than a new small sensor camera body.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkdots View Post
    Stick to your D5000
    With the $ set aside for Nikon 1 V1 and the standard lens 10-30mm, you could probably squeeze in enough for 35/1.8DX, 50/1.8G, and an external flash like SB600.
    Exploring! :)