Thread: advice needed on my kit lens

Talking advice needed on my kit lens

Hey,
    just wondering, i am currently having the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Kit lens).
    May i ask, is this lens be good for indoor shoot? Such as for orchestra or symphony?

Is there anything i need to take note of when i am using this lens for such indoor shoot?

Default Re: advice needed on my kit lens

Depends on the lighting..You might need to increase your ISO to get decent shutter speed.

Agreed, unless the indoor lighting is good a usual kit lens will suffer. Usually you'll see yourself shooting at 800+ ISO, or very blurred images.
    better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied -J.S. Mill
    1000D. My works

indoor if you dont like to use high ISO get an external flash and bounce it or using your pop up flash get those diffusers will soften your flash =)
    <<<<<Hobo in Singapore >>>> View My 500px

Base on the experience of using my kit 18-55mm, it is not enough but yet, it depend on the over lighting and if you are close to the stage which is usually well lit. Use a flash. Hope that help

It sounds to me that the ts is trying to shoot concert like event. Usually I wouldn't encourage flash as it may bother other pple. What I suggest is to use make do with the noise and go close up and even use manual focus( if the lens have trouble hunting)

Thanks people! I dun think flash is a good idea, since it's a performance. It will affect the musician. =D

Just step up the ISO. Sure, there are some noise, but depending on how you process it later, the result can be quite pleasing.

Note: All those shots taken with ISO 5000 - no flash used.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

nice. you were there at the concert? so was i

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    nice. you were there at the concert? so was i
    Thanks... I am there wondering around aimlessly... lol
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by geneywj View Post
    Hey,
    just wondering, i am currently having the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Kit lens).
    May i ask, is this lens be good for indoor shoot? Such as for orchestra or symphony?

Is there anything i need to take note of when i am using this lens for such indoor shoot?
    It is hard to say as different performances will have different lighting conditions.

I'd say you'd probably want a slightly faster lens, as there is movement when playing.

Something to take note of - most lenses are not at their sharpest wide open. I'd wager the kit lens is no different.

Quote Originally Posted by geneywj View Post
    Hey,

If used at the long end where largest aperture is f5.6, its going to be a bit tough.
    Don't forget that shutter speed would need to be 1/90 - 1/180 to stop most of the movement from the performers.
    ISO will need to go up quite a bit.