Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Groupon deal : $38 for 1 Day Travel Photography Workshop at Knowledge Bowl School

Blog Entries

Default Re: Groupon deal : $38 for 1 Day Travel Photography Workshop at Knowledge Bowl School

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    There is no right and wrong way in taking a photo.

You shoot it your way.
    bad phrasing i guess. shld be whether the way it was shot brings out what you want to say better

Default Re: Groupon deal : $38 for 1 Day Travel Photography Workshop at Knowledge Bowl School

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    If you write things pretty fast, it's no time at all. And not everyone works on money, money, money, sometimes it's the principle - if a person didn't do his job right, then it should be highlighted, for example.
    ok.. let's put it in a simple math equation:

i) getting the money back = 10x
    ii) writing to complain to the relevant authorities and slamming him online: 1x

put 1x and 10x together and you get?

which one would require less time and effort?

IMO the $38 is as good as gone

I think it only shows the TS got what he paid for... Was curious how were other Groupon related photography offers.... how was the experience by others?

Quote Originally Posted by synergic View Post

Firstly, it was conducted in a room on the roof of Forture Centre with 50 -70 participants. It should be called
    a seminar not a workshop with so many participants. A workshop should be around 10-20 people to
    maximize learning experience.

The Groupon deal stated 1 hour theory, 3 hours outdoor practical and 1 hour indoor review. The main reason for
    signing up is because of the 1 hour photo review after the outdoor shoot. That is where we learn the most from photo critic.
    But instead Steven just show off his photo enhancement skills using ACDSee software in that hour.
    You expect him 1 hour to critique the photos taken by 50 -70 participants?

So what's the lesson learnt from this experience?

Don't waste money on classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    I think it only shows the TS got what he paid for... Was curious how were other Groupon related photography offers.... how was the experience by others?
    Not Groupon offer but my friend went for Knowledge Bowl's full priced basic photography course, she wasn't satisfied either.

What she told me was that the course conductor will give the participants a sheet of paper listing down the settings for different situations (eg. fireworks, outdoors, sports, indoors) and said that those are the "sure win" settings for each situation. I disagree with this "magic setting" way of teaching and I feel they should teach the participants how to adapt to each situation instead. She regretted spending the money for the course in the end.

Thank you for sharing. Whether the 'training' was professionally conducted or not, I think readers can make their own judgement. At least they know what took place during such workshop and will decide if similar workshop is offered, they still want to participate.

$38 is not a lot of $ but if you multiply with 70, not may people are paid that much for the 4 hours effort or some may say 2 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Thank you for sharing. Whether the 'training' was professionally conducted or not, I think readers can make their own judgement. At least they know what took place during such workshop and will decide if similar workshop is offered, they still want to participate.

$38 is not a lot of $ but if you multiply with 70, not may people are paid that much for the 4 hours effort or some may say 2 hrs.
    for what we know is Groupon will take 50% of the sale, so the school actually received $19 from Groupon for each students.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Not Groupon offer but my friend went for Knowledge Bowl's full priced basic photography course, she wasn't satisfied either.

What she told me was that the course conductor will give the participants a sheet of paper listing down the settings for different situations (eg. fireworks, outdoors, sports, indoors) and said that those are the "sure win" settings for each situation. I disagree with this "magic setting" way of teaching and I feel they should teach the participants how to adapt to each situation instead. She regretted spending the money for the course in the end.
    same with my school. lets have a good laugh at my "coach's" magic equation,

iso 400, f4, 1/60, on flash.

the problem is i never managed to use the equation. one of my lenses is a 4.5-5.6

to my experience at least, the optimal class size seems to range around 10-15, each session around 2 hours. anything more than that it will be quite unwieldy
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 18th November 2011 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post

Thanks for sharing the experience. I think at the end of the day it boil down to what was communicate to the "students" and their expectation of the photography course. If I am not wrong Knowledge Bowl-> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/membe...edge-bowl.html had an account in CS since 2007. And from their threads post, they do list down the topic that would be covered in their course.

This thread remembered me on a post by Benjamin (Catchlights) earlier in the "The Photo Biz" section -> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/photo...ml#post7542100 Could it be they are catering for different market segment (both in price & content)? Personally I would think it would be good for them to join in the discussion in addressing the Groupon deal experience from the feedback of their customers, to avoiding putting their reputation at potential risk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12