Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Friends borrowing your expensive lens

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants
    This will depends on your relationship with that friend. But I would think it is strange that people go around borrowing expensive(relative) items. If they need it for a job, they should buy one. If they want to test it, there are rentals or can test at shop/showroom. If they want to play, lenses are not toys (though they may be to some). The exceptions are probably when a pro's lens is damaged and need to loan one to tide over. But then pros would have CPS to help them?

Usually when you lend, then you have to be prepared to write off the item. Even when you lend friends money nowadays, you cannot be sure that they will return it.
    True.. But for my these two friends, it's a little tricky and difficult to say no. On top of that, I see them almost everyday. That's why I am scratching my head about how to reject them in a tactful way.

Default Re: Friends borrowing your expensive lens

Quote Originally Posted by biglittlebean View Post
    True.. But for my these two friends, it's a little tricky and difficult to say no. On top of that, I see them almost everyday. That's why I am scratching my head about how to reject them in a tactful way.
    It is a test of friendship. Ask them to lend you something of value to them and see if they will oblige.

Rent them say $80 per day, there is wear an tear cost u have to factor in

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    Rent them say $80 per day, there is wear an tear cost u have to factor in
    It is better to reject them than to rent them.. Later they call me a 'moneyface'.

Just wondering... Have anyone here had their friends wanting to borrow your lens... Especially the expensive ones? I have a friend and a colleague always asking me if they can borrow certain lens. Just today, the colleague, upon hearing that I just purchased a certain lens, immediately asked if he can borrow to shoot for our company's function next week. I will not be shooting as I am put in charge of other things that day. How do you reject them without making them feel offended? I can't say that I need it since I am going to be there as well.
    Reject them?? My idea is " Sorry , i have a family outing next week and i wish to take photograph of them as a memories."
    This is what i normally say. Hope it help you if you don't want to lend.
    If not you can do so like what adamadam say on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    Ill NEVER lend anyone. Sometimes..even im physically there..im worried too. Most cases, Ill just say No. Sorry.. Those whom are more understanding..they will get the idea. Those who dont..i dont really care too. Just NO.
    I concur this goes with me too.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Just wondering... Have anyone here had their friends wanting to borrow your lens... Especially the expensive ones? I have a friend and a colleague always asking me if they can borrow certain lens. Just today, the colleague, upon hearing that I just purchased a certain lens, immediately asked if he can borrow to shoot for our company's function next week. I will not be shooting as I am put in charge of other things that day. How do you reject them without making them feel offended? I can't say that I need it since I am going to be there as well.
    Just say no la!

Say there is fungus in the lens and you already send it for repair.

Give him the link to the this discussion, he might get the idea
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Pass him your lens mug..............................
    Take the shot!

Simple just tell them, "No"
    Chris
    5D2 / 5D3 / 16-35 2.8L II USM / 24-70 2.8L / 100 2.8L IS Macro/ 70-200 2.8L IS

if you know the person well, u should be able to decide to lend the lens anot.

if the person is the not willing to pay for a 3k lens even if he can afford, the answer is no then. Less trouble to handle if really something happen later.
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

1) lick your lens focusing ring. no one will want to borrow it anymore, let alone touch it
    2) pee on your lens. no one will want to borrow it anymore, let alone touch it
    3) fart on the lens. no one will want to borrow it anymore, let alone touch it

It is better to reject them than to rent them.. Later they call me a 'moneyface'.
    if he is just a casual friend or colleague, I feel nothing wrong.

If they come and ask me, I will charge them 30% above the market rate. Take it or leave it.

There is no free lunch in SG.

Of cos, if your closed friend, as long as you know he can handle with care, I see nothing wrong to lend to him.

But if he is closed to you and cannot handle thing well, just let him know the price and make him feel obligation to return you a brand new pc if anything happen.

Usually people close to you will understand one.

Blog Entries

Just say your lens with another friend (but don't have to tell them his name is dry cab). Done.

After a few times failing to borrow from you, he will stop asking.

Seriously speaking, by lending expensive fragile equipment to friends, is just putting the friendship at risk. That is why I do not lend my expensive lenses out, neither do I borrow. Been there done that. Some thing breaks and friendship also gone.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 9th November 2011 at 04:13 AM.

Had bad experience with friends who borrowed stuff from me before, not Camera related stuff. But, it came back in a working condition but the exterior seems to have aged 10 years, with scratches and dent. Of course not happy with it and try to hint the person to repair or replace it.

Since its a friend, usually when accident happens, its very hard to open your mouth to ask them to pay. Especially your close friends, worst if the person is not financially strong enough.

To me, to prevent such things from happening, i will never loan my stuff, any, to my friends ever again.

I've lent my 70-200 to strangers before (just from online)
    Maybe it wasn't wise, what if they ran away? :O
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    I've lent my 70-200 to strangers before (just from online)
    Maybe it wasn't wise, what if they ran away? :O
    your story reminded me of a helpful local trying to help a couple take photos..... keep asking them to stand further away to frame the picture and then run road with the cam

Blog Entries

TS try borrowing THEIR lens or body sometime .......

ANYONE who lends .... does it at their own risk

ALWAYS make sure you let the borrower know that anything wrong (even ONE scratch) , you will expect it to be replaced ..... NOT repaired .... BUT REPLACED....

p/s I recently borrowed a Leica 28mm f2.0 Summicron from Cactusjack and in my carelessness my cigarette butt burnt a tiny little dent on the side of his rectangular lenscap ........ cost me $50 (for a lenscap no more) ...... manned up and replaced it for him with a brand new one
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    p/s I recently borrowed a Leica 28mm f2.0 Summicron from Cactusjack and in my carelessness my cigarette butt burnt a tiny little dent on the side of his rectangular lenscap ........ cost me $50 (for a lenscap no more) ...... manned up and replaced it for him with a brand new one
    Now you have an expensive plastic ashtray with Leica on it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast