Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Friends borrowing your expensive lens

Default Friends borrowing your expensive lens

Just wondering... Have anyone here had their friends wanting to borrow your lens... Especially the expensive ones? I have a friend and a colleague always asking me if they can borrow certain lens. Just today, the colleague, upon hearing that I just purchased a certain lens, immediately asked if he can borrow to shoot for our company's function next week. I will not be shooting as I am put in charge of other things that day. How do you reject them without making them feel offended? I can't say that I need it since I am going to be there as well.

Default Re: Friends borrowing your expensive lens

if u can trust your colleague using them, by all means loan to them, reminding them to take TLC of the glasses. if not, just tell them str8 and offer them alternative places to rent one, no need paisay one.
    Last edited by user12343; 8th November 2011 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by biglittlebean View Post
    Just wondering... Have anyone here had their friends wanting to borrow your lens... Especially the expensive ones? I have a friend and a colleague always asking me if they can borrow certain lens. Just today, the colleague, upon hearing that I just purchased a certain lens, immediately asked if he can borrow to shoot for our company's function next week. I will not be shooting as I am put in charge of other things that day. How do you reject them without making them feel offended? I can't say that I need it since I am going to be there as well.
    You got all the right to say "NO". You have no obligation to lent them your lens.

I've lent out 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 35L, 85L II, 135L before, currently my TSE 24L II is with a friend for the past few months.
    As long as I'm not needing it at the time, and they agree that if anything happens to it, they pay the repair/replace, then I'm alright to lend it to them.

It's yours, you can say no.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

I'll ask them to borrow from adamadam.

just tell them the price of the lens, at least they know how much is the lens before borrowing from you.
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I'll ask them to borrow from adamadam.
    Sure! haha.
    After a while I realised that friends were using it more than me, so I sold everything except the TSE which is currently with my friend
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    Sure! haha.
    After a while I realised that friends were using it more than me, so I sold everything except the TSE which is currently with my friend
    Same here, I realised my 400mm was sitting in my cabinet 1/2 the time and the other half at someone else bag or cabinet so i sold it off. I do lent my more expensive lense to close friends and like wise I do borrow from them. If you can trust your friends it should not be a problem.

For me, I'll lend it (the more expensive stuff) only if I know that person will repair/replace it should something bad happen to it. Otherwise, I'll say no.

You never can tell whether anything might happen to your stuff. Once I lent a new PnS to someone who went on a holiday. The Pns was not of the more expensive range but still I didn't feel good when it came back with a dent. The person told me that it fell when she slipped (on what I don't remember) and showed me the dent. That was it. No offer to repair or replace.

Some people are like that, so it would be wise to know what kind of person you're lending it to.

I once lent my nikon 70-200 VR to one friend. Later, he loved it so much and I did not have time to shoot often so in the end I sold him the lens. I know my friend will take care of my lens just like his own. If you know your friend is also a photo enthusiast and will take care of the lens like his own, why not lend it to him. Lens are bought to be used and not store in the dry box half of the time, period.

My two cents worth.

Ok.. so who has the 70-200 VRII? I want to be your friend

I do have friends who asked to borrow my lens. I don't mind lending them, but I have some lens that aren't that expensive but hard to find. Most of those are my favourite few like my EF 80-200mm F2.8L (Magic Drainpipe) which I still prefer over the newer white version released now.

So I oftenly tell them that if something bad happens, they don't need to pay me back cash, just return it back in the same or better operating condition as I lend it to them. (In short, you either find ways to fix it till it is the same or rob another guy who has it and unwilling to let it go)

Still, you have the right to say no if you find that they can afford but unwilling to or doesn't bothers and started leeching off you.

I will only loan to those who have equally expensive equipment and know how to handle them, and have the ability to bear the responsibility and pay up should anything go wrong. For instance, I loaned my Nikon 24-70 to my friend who has an equvilent (Canon 24-70), he's willing to pass me his lens should he accidentally drop mine. I'm assured enough with that.

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    Ok.. so who has the 70-200 VRII? I want to be your friend
    Thats one of the most expensive lenses I have ...I barely trust myself with it.

biglittlebean you been had the friends who do that ie ask to borrow a just bought lens are....... well not really your real friend right ? If say on an outing and they wanana try it out - fine. Constant loans ??? 'ulllo there are outfits renting equipment and if really motive is to to field testing surely they could afford a few bucks to test drive. Maybe I am cautious but after an experience with a class mate I have learnt not to loan equipment out - lent a flash and a cheap long zoom lens (was the best could afford then) bugger goes up Mt Opia, bangs up the flash so bad the mount foot broke got that repaired but never returned the flash or the cost of the flash to be, lens was returned interior was soaked fungus has started growing. Asked few times for the flash never got it back seem to think that the cost of repairs made it his. Never paid for the cleaning of the lens seemed to think that it should have been water resistant. Frag it life's too short to waste on things like this. Equipment if you shoot seriously never lend the good stuff out unless you are dam sure about the user - better yet make it clear you borrow you return in same or better state no matter what. Cannot abide well "friend" there's Camera Rental go talk to them. Actually now I prefer to rent from camera rental if I have a need rather than borrow off people... you take more care that way.

I think it's your own call and also the level of comfort.

it's really hard.. but if you really feel uncomfortable, then say "no" politely but firmly. if your friend fall out with you over this, then he/she is not worth your friendship

I personally never want to borrow anything expensive. There was once I joined a group shoot, there was this guy who loaned a Canon 85L. As we were in the same group, we got along quite well and he offered to let me try the lens (i think it's about $3000plus). I didn't want to be responsible for anything so i didn't even want to touch it

Thanks everyone.. Your replies have given me a lot of insight about this. My colleague is quite a camera enthusiast.. I would say that he should be one who take cares of his equipment well. He owns a few expensive lens as well, and even his camera is better than mine! I guess I will lend him the lens for that day.

On the other hand, I have another friend who stays near me, and he too, likes to borrow certain lens from me. He is quite new in photography, and he has a tendency to forget to return the lens. On a few occasions, I have to give him 'gentle reminders' to return. He is also the reason why I kept quiet about the new lens that I purchased last week(one of the trinity lens). Knowing him; he will want to borrow to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by kietgnoel
    For me, I'll lend it (the more expensive stuff) only if I know that person will repair/replace it should something bad happen to it. Otherwise, I'll say no.

You never can tell whether anything might happen to your stuff. Once I lent a new PnS to someone who went on a holiday. The Pns was not of the more expensive range but still I didn't feel good when it came back with a dent. The person told me that it fell when she slipped (on what I don't remember) and showed me the dent. That was it. No offer to repair or replace.

Some people are like that, so it would be wise to know what kind of person you're lending it to.
    But sometimes, you will never know how careless a person is until the mishap happens. That is why when I loan things out, I try to make sure that I am prepared for it to be damaged/spoilt.

This will depends on your relationship with that friend. But I would think it is strange that people go around borrowing expensive(relative) items. If they need it for a job, they should buy one. If they want to test it, there are rentals or can test at shop/showroom. If they want to play, lenses are not toys (though they may be to some). The exceptions are probably when a pro's lens is damaged and need to loan one to tide over. But then pros would have CPS to help them?

I once lent a camera underwater housing to a friend. It is in a new condition. But when I got it back, I cannot believe that it is in such bad shape that I did not use it anymore. He kept quiet as if nothing happened. I want to ask him to pay also paisei. Luckily it is for my older PnS that I do not use anymore. So write off. So you have to be prepared to write off the item if the loan turns bad. Even when you lend friends money nowadays, you cannot be sure that they will return it. It is a case of the value of lens vs friendship, when such things happen.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 8th November 2011 at 07:32 PM.

Ill NEVER lend anyone. Sometimes..even im physically there..im worried too. Most cases, Ill just say No. Sorry.. Those whom are more understanding..they will get the idea. Those who dont..i dont really care too. Just NO.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast