Thread: Samyang 8mm

Default Samyang 8mm

Hi guys,

I just got this new baby today and here's a quick test shot. I was having fun but was a bit disappointed when I zoomed in to take a peak at 100%. It would seem like my 18-55 kit lens could've done better. I focused to infinity and I'm using f8 and I'm using a 550D. The other pictures I took were 'soft' too. Should I return the lens? The reviews so far is that this lens has superb optics and is super sharp from f8-11. Kindly advise.

100%

P.S. I understand the photos are a bit under exposed.

Heres another test shot:

100%

Last edited by jreamer; 7th November 2011 at 05:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Samyang 8mm

Please note that on Samyang lenses, focusing to infinity is not turning it all the way until it stops. You have to turn back slightly.

thanks for the tip. i'll give it another go.

Great lens - samyang 8mm , - i own one

To check if your focus ring is correct you should use full aperture.
    You should have full sharpness from 0.5meter to infinity by focusing at 1 meter.

maybe it your first time to manual Lens -

here a comparsion of 8mm by tomcat : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/revie...x-fisheye.html
    Last edited by dis28; 7th November 2011 at 08:57 PM.

Yes. it is my first time using a manual lens. but apart from focusing at infinity and using f8 what else can I do to get a sharp image at 100%?

Are ur images sharp when u zoom in at 100%?

Could you perhaps elaborate what you think was wrong with my settings because I dont see what other settings I can meddle with apart from adjusting the focusing ring and setting the aperture?

Many thanks

I would suggest TS to read up on this topic called Hyperfocus distance and scale.

If this 8mm manual focus is TS's first MF lens, I would suggest him / her to get a AF confirmation chip installed. But of course, that would not be 100% accurate at times.

Under exposed or Over exposed, it is not the lens that is faulty or the camera body that malfunction. This is because it is strictly a manual lens. Using AV mode or auto exposure may not be 100% accurate compared to your 18-55. I would suggest you to use bracketing.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

thanks for your reply.

I understand the concept of hyperfocal length and that is why i'm even more frustrated because I understand that with 8mm and f/8, there is a very short near focus limit and sharpness that extends to infinity. my pictures though, yield less than desirable sharpness when I crop at 100%.
    Last edited by jreamer; 7th November 2011 at 09:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jreamer
    thanks for your reply.

I understand the concept of hyperfocal length and that is why i'm even more frustrated because I understand that with 8mm and f/8, there is a very short near focus limit and sharpness that extends to infinity. my pictures though, yield less than desirable sharpness when I crop at 100%.
    If you are using hyperfocal distance, you shouldn't be using infinity focus.

Btw I don't have the 8mm but I do have the 14mm. And it is tack sharp even at 100%.

Haven't checked .. but if the 550D has LiefeView you could use this option to verify your focus. Works perfect for me with all manual lenses.
    EOS

Well i realised focusing at infinity was sharper than at the hyperfocal distance of 0.43m (8mm, f8, 550d apc sensor). Could be a manufacturing defect. should be returning the lens.

I have this lens but Sony mount my copy is sharp at hyperfocal or infinity... but normally i shoot around .45-.7m I find this is the sweet spot.
    <<<<<Hobo in Singapore >>>> View My 500px