Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Preview: Panasonic GX-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hibeam2
    Hi ortega,
    Sorry, can't help but noticed that the title for your previous post is somewhat very different from the original.
    Lol! That was from a spam post that was deleted

Default Re: review: panasonic GX1

hey Ortega, try and see if you can replicate the double image shots for the X lenses, apparently the new firmware doesn't fix it =\

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=39873516

still no ETA?
    Last edited by eventidephoenix; 19th November 2011 at 02:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Initial feeling from a dslr user: wow this camera is a great size and weight for travel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eventidephoenix
    hey Ortega, try and see if you can replicate the double image shots for the X lenses, apparently the new firmware doesn't fix it =\

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=39873516

still no ETA?
    Hmmmm... I'll try

Default Re: Preview: Panasonic GX-1

All fine and good, except for that the sensor has been "upgraded" to 16MP. This effectively is tantamount to a "downgrade" as the pixel size gets reduced by some 33%. Unless the sensor technology has received a mega quantum jump of 33% improvement over the last one, this spells disaster.

Panasonic jolly well knows this fact -- their LX-3, LX-5 deliberately deploy a bigger size sensor with reduced pixel-count to get stunning results and then now back tracks on their m43 by squeezing more pixels into the same sensor area. It seems that it has either run out of tricks or else has succumbed to the megapixel pandemic, which has merciless infected all the camera manufacturers without exception. WHY????? Because the masses clamour for more and more megapixels ?

It is sickening to see the likes of Nikon, Sony, Canon all going the way of senselessly pursuing the headlong plunge into the more-megapixel abysss. D3000 gets upgraded to D3100 by increasing the MP to 14. D5000 gets to D5100 by going from 12MP to 16MP. Did the photos turn out any better on the grounds of increased MP count ?

It will serve Panasonic well to retro fit the GF line with a 10MP sensor, and lo I tell you, the low-light capability will be astounding . Panny will also do well to improve its Dynamic Range as well as skin tones (both of which trail quite a distance behind Nikon).

I owned a GF1 before I got my GF2 some months ago. Maybe I will get the pancake 14-42 zoom (well, this thing resembles a real technology upgrade that makes sense). After that, no more GF series, unless the MP count drops back to 12 or less.

Honestly, and with my utmost due respect, BUT i am very puzzled with all these never-die archaic argument of high pixel equal low IQ

I vaguely remember during the 2MP days, people start teaching that higher no good, then 6/8 MP, higher no good, then 10-12 higher no good...... Will you buy a new GX2 with 2MP???????

I agree that before proceeding to make the numbers look larger, they should deal with DR/noise first. Unfortunately, marketing doesn't work out that way - consumers still fall prey to megapixels. I mean not asking for 2MP, but asking them before moving to perhaps 20MP, improve on the current sensor?

And why can't they just fix up their JPEG too... I agree with snappy in some ways...

Quote Originally Posted by swhyge View Post
    Honestly, and with my utmost due respect, BUT i am very puzzled with all these never-die archaic argument of high pixel equal low IQ

I vaguely remember during the 2MP days, people start teaching that higher no good, then 6/8 MP, higher no good, then 10-12 higher no good...... Will you buy a new GX2 with 2MP???????
    It is not about the absolute number of pixels. More exactly, the pixel density, ie how many pixels per sq mm of sensor real estate. Putting 16MP on an APS-C sensor may not be a big issue, but when a miniscule 1/2.3" sensor has 14 or 16MP, that becomes a problem. Picture quality simply goes down the drain.

I did not write here for the sake of starting digging out "an archaic" argument -- the truth is that I have the misfortune of falling down this slippery slope, first hand, a couple of times, before realizing that simply increasing MP count without other improvements to the sensor performance was BAD.

For a P&S with a 1/2.5" or 1/2.3" my take is that the maximum number of pixels should not exceed 6MP. It is true that if this sensor has only 2MP compared to one with say 5MP, the latter wins. But increasing the MP count beyond that simply undoes all the other improvements made to the sensor.

The statement that people are "puzzled with all these never-die archaic argument of high pixel equal low IQ.." simply reflects the marketing prowess and cunning indoctrination by the camera manufacturers who need to look over their shoulders all the time to see who is the next guy coming out with another couple of extra MP, and then try to con the folks by their constant upgrading ploy.

In this time and age, many good things are touted as bad, and bad things as good,.....as long as this practice or malpractice increases sales $, who cares really.........if the mantra is chanted day in and day out,... it will eventually be accepted as the good truth for masses.

Quote Originally Posted by snappy55 View Post
    It is not about the absolute number of pixels. More exactly, the pixel density, ie how many pixels per sq mm of sensor real estate. Putting 16MP on an APS-C sensor may not be a big issue, but when a miniscule 1/2.3" sensor has 14 or 16MP, that becomes a problem. Picture quality simply goes down the drain.

I did not write here for the sake of starting digging out "an archaic" argument -- the truth is that I have the misfortune of falling down this slippery slope, first hand, a couple of times, before realizing that simply increasing MP count without other improvements to the sensor performance was BAD.

For a P&S with a 1/2.5" or 1/2.3" my take is that the maximum number of pixels should not exceed 6MP. It is true that if this sensor has only 2MP compared to one with say 5MP, the latter wins. But increasing the MP count beyond that simply undoes all the other improvements made to the sensor.

The statement that people are "puzzled with all these never-die archaic argument of high pixel equal low IQ.." simply reflects the marketing prowess and cunning indoctrination by the camera manufacturers who need to look over their shoulders all the time to see who is the next guy coming out with another couple of extra MP, and then try to con the folks by their constant upgrading ploy.

In this time and age, many good things are touted as bad, and bad things as good,.....as long as this practice or malpractice increases sales $, who cares really.........if the mantra is chanted day in and day out,... it will eventually be accepted as the good truth for masses.

I am an old engineer though not in sensor technology, and I do understand superficially, maybe a tiny bit above median, the technical relationships and their compromises....And many here do also.

But the simplistic logic of marketing forces up MP (or density if you want to be precise) at the expense on DR/noise etc, so as to lure 'not informed' consumers' is ... too simplistic and is an old record.

How fast is this technology advancing? Who are we to know that the critical density has been blatantly surpassed? I do not know. And who are we to know that keeping the pixel density stagnant and the DR/noise will improve significantly - at this current stage of sensor technology. I do not know. ...blah blah...

Camera, in this context, is consumer technology. Anyone of the big companies who try to chant the wrong mantra will be out of biz in double quick time - this is internet era, remember...

Please assess such new releases as a whole.... In general, this is the best 'state-of-art' - for a given target segment - that they are releasing - compromises have to be made so that the product can be made!!!! They have to made money!

Lastly, as in many other technologies, consumers' wants and needs are important...Manufacturers have to know......but that is NOT THE SAME as the consumers understand the technology knowhow better than those who R&D and made the product! Yes, once in awhile, there will one or two, but not everyone/everyday!

Sorry to TS, We should not be debating this here.

Blog Entries

I will only judge on the resulting images, after all this is a camera to be used for taking pictures, so only the images matter.

Can the camera be used to take nice pictures? So far do good, but I have yet to see the images on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    I will only judge on the resulting images, after all this is a camera to be used for taking pictures, so only the images matter.

Can the camera be used to take nice pictures? So far so good, but I have yet to see the images on my computer.
    The right bottomline

Yes manufacturers do what they do to get the job done (profit)

We buy what we need to get the job done (something that takes good pictures!)
    Last edited by ortega; 17th February 2012 at 10:46 AM.

Any Eta in Singapore? Especially for the 14-42 PZ X lens combo..
    Panny G85+GH3|EPL5|14|20|45|14-42|12-35|14-140|35-100|Metz 50 AF-1

Anyone excited by the prospect of pairing this with the Oly F2.0 12mm? I might just take the plunge on this combo.

Quote Originally Posted by pluginbaby View Post
    Anyone excited by the prospect of pairing this with the Oly F2.0 12mm? I might just take the plunge on this combo.
    *raises hand

also waiting for the ETA... Since it's officially announced here I guess it should be coming quite soon I hope

Quote Originally Posted by eventidephoenix View Post
    *raises hand

also waiting for the ETA... Since it's officially announced here I guess it should be coming quite soon I hope
    N i do hope they'll sell the GX-1 body only. Not really interested in the 1442 combos.

It's retailing at USD$699 for the body only, that roughly translate to about SGD$910, i'll be happy for a body only price of SGD$950.

Have been doing lots of research on this GX-1 before it's impending arrival in Singapore but have some questions.

Does the GX-1 have optical image stabilizer built in or is that lens dependent?

Would it mean that i wouldn't have image stabilizing if i were to pair the GX-1 with say the Olympus 12mm F2.0 since as far as i understand, this lens does not come with O.I.S.

Quote Originally Posted by pluginbaby View Post
    Have been doing lots of research on this GX-1 before it's impending arrival in Singapore but have some questions.

Does the GX-1 have optical image stabilizer built in or is that lens dependent?

Would it mean that i wouldn't have image stabilizing if i were to pair the GX-1 with say the Olympus 12mm F2.0 since as far as i understand, this lens does not come with O.I.S.
    Panny does not come with optical IS. It is lens dependent.

iS not so important for wide angle lens like Oly 12mm.

Quote Originally Posted by arsene View Post
    Panny does not come with optical IS. It is lens dependent.

iS not so important for wide angle lens like Oly 12mm.
    Thanks for that! Exactly the reply i was hoping for.

Anyways, i'll probably go ahead with this body/lens combination.

Can't wait for the GX-1 to hit our shores!

Blog Entries

I've left the mp density comments alone but deleted the comments alluding to N and C ..... thank you all
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

To the post somewhere above regarding pixel density.
    I have had the GF1, and now the G3.
    G3 is definitely better noise wise as well as resolution.

The 16mp is an improvement. Its not a downgrade.
    It also allows lots of chance to crop to the required framing format w/o loosing too much mp (esp for printing)

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post

Can the camera be used to take nice pictures? So far do good, but I have yet to see the images on my computer.
    +1 to this.
    don't even think there is a camera that cannot take good enough pictures nowadays.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast