Thread: Macro lens new or used?

Default Macro lens new or used?

Hi, I wanting to get a Macro lens maybe 105VR. Maybe 30% macro rest can use for Portraits. Tried Raynox 250 and the focusing distance is too near. For $300 differences between used and new, is it worth? As do not know how to inspect lens, how could go wrong with a used lens. For that difference, it is worth to get one forgo- ing the warranty. Thanks!

Default Re: Macro lens new or used?

this is quite personal coz different people have different preferences.

to more well-to-do people, $300 may not seem like alot of money so they'd rather save the hassle and go for a brand new.

to some less wealthy people, even $100 might be a lot of difference so they'd take the "risk"

I have seen people getting a used Canon EF50mm f1.8 at $110 when the RRP is $149 and street price for that lens is only about $120+ to $130+. To some people, even a $20 is worth it

Thank You bro for your valuable comment. Thinking of the hazzle of meeting the buyer and later regretting not worth the amount. For a piece of mind, I'm thinking go for new will be a better option. Cheers

I'm also looking out for budget macro lenses and I think I found my dream lens already. I'm looking forward in getting the Tamron 90mm macro which cost $515 (if I remember correctly) you can check it out at SLR revolution at funan.

Another good macro lens is Nikkor 60mm f2.8D. Iirc new ones costs around $600. Comfortable portrait FOV.

If you have more more $$$ go for Tge excellent Nikkor AFS 105mm prime macro.
    Everything is good except it is heavy an FOV could be too tight at times for portrait.
    Need to step back further from object.

Thanks for all your comments. To Tamron is a bit noisy when focusing, that is why I'm not considering it. I already hv 50mm 1.8d prime and thinking of adding a 105 prime double up for portrait and macro. For now, seems getting new is a better choice. Better save up for this trinity lens. Cheers~

Quote Originally Posted by gnesgnoy
    Thanks for all your comments. To Tamron is a bit noisy when focusing, that is why I'm not considering it. I already hv 50mm 1.8d prime and thinking of adding a 105 prime double up for portrait and macro. For now, seems getting new is a better choice. Better save up for this trinity lens. Cheers~
    If u really wanna save up for trinity, get the tamron lens. The savings is significant while u dun lose out much from the 105mm VR.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

I heard that Tamron isn't good for insects shots as the front lens will rotate unlike the Nikon. Also the creamy bokeh compare Tamron & Nikon? Went upon John at Funan & encourage to get Nikon instead. Shall I just get Tamron instead?

Quote Originally Posted by gnesgnoy View Post
    I heard that Tamron isn't good for insects shots as the front lens will rotate unlike the Nikon. Also the creamy bokeh compare Tamron & Nikon? Went upon John at Funan & encourage to get Nikon instead. Shall I just get Tamron instead?
    The front element of the Tamron extends, not rotate. Just take a look at the macro section, so many people are producing amazing photos with the Tamron 90, can you still say its not good for insects shots? As for bokeh, whether you like it or not, it will be creamy at that working distance