Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should i go DSLR?

Thanks!

So from what I've read, m43 cams are somewhat "glorified" PnS, with interchangeable lens capabilities?

How about 4/3 cams? are they also considered "glorified" PnS? such as GX1, GF3, G3,...
    Last edited by Denniswong; 10th November 2011 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413

All in all that is why I label these as "glorified PnS".
    I wouldn't go that far to call them glorified pns.

Not to start a 4/3 and mirrorless debate, but I think you need to take a closer look at what's on the market.

That said, most use their dslr as pns anyway. A street poll will likely show majority of users never using modes outside of Auto or P.

Quote Originally Posted by Denniswong
    Thanks!

So from what I've read, m43 cams are somewhat "glorified" PnS, with interchangeable lens capabilities?

How about 4/3 cams? are they also considered "glorified" PnS? such as GX1, GF3, G3,...
    Here is something I posted a few months ago, I have since added the A55 to the EPL3 which is still with me. I have been mucking around with photos and printing since my primary school days. I said photos as my cam was a toy cam costing around $5, but that was all I can afford and it's B&W but I got my pics.

Having gone through an entry SLR to compact superzoom to 4/3 over 12 months, I think I can give this a go.

As for type of photography, the lens is the bigger driver than the body unless you are into pro-photography.

Firstly, must keep in mind that my objective was 'better travel pics' than my minature compact. What I wanted was better IQ and a longer zoom to catch those situations compared to my minature compact.

It was a toss between the entry D3000 and the NX10. Took the D3000. Preferred the OVF as I can see lighting situations better than EVF which is always bright.

The first trip worked out quite well. I was in a group and transport was provided, made it easy to bring that n tripod n stuff.

The second trip was free and easy, my travels are mostly this type. Suddenly the cam weighed a ton hanging round my neck the entire day while walking. Pics were great but it was finding it's way into the backpack, not a good way to be always ready and I wanted a bit more zoom.

A soul, i mean cam, searching followed. The compact superzoom looked like the answer to my woes. Yes the IQ isn't fantastic, but a bit of IQ for my neck sounds reasonable. So P100 it is.

Third trip followed. Cam worked great as thought. No neckaches, long zoom, small n easy to keep. At return, on a 24 inch monitor.........it's back to the shops.....after enjoying D3000 quality, kinda hard to step back. Don't get me wrong, it's still a big step up from the compact in terms what you can do and better quality pics. From prints, you can't really tell.

So what's left. 4/3, perhaps the NX10 was the better choice. Settled on the Oly EPL2 for reasons of larger lens choice.

Fourth trip followed. So far so good. Great pics, reasonable weight. Sold the 2 kit lenses n got the 14-150. I've seen places so dusty you'll be reluctant to bring out the cam let alone swap lens and for travel, swapping is also an iffy option.

So what's next? Eyeing the 5100, but the weight question hangs heavy.

Default Re: Should i go DSLR?

And of course..some people just get 1 because everyone seems to have 1..

Quote Originally Posted by Denniswong View Post
    Thanks!

4/3 system is dead, Olympus have no intentions to revive it or to introduce new 4/3 body/ lens. GX1, GF3 etc are m4/3.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    4/3 system is dead, Olympus have no intentions to revive it or to introduce new 4/3 body/ lens. GX1, GF3 etc are m4/3.
    Yes, they're m43. Thanks for the correction. My mistake.

Hi qystan,

Hmm... looks like you've not found that ONE camera that has everything... But your EPL2's serving you well so far, except for the lens swapping, which I believe is also a problem for DSLRs as well.

Hi qystan,

Hmm... looks like you've not found that ONE camera that has everything... But your EPL2's serving you well so far, except for the lens swapping, which I believe is also a problem for DSLRs as well.
    With the 14-150 on the Epl2, I won't need another lens. 150 on a 4/3 is quite challenging without a tripod, practical limit would be 100.

Just gotten a 16-105 for my A55, became heavy....sigh.... Will be bringing it along for my trip to southern Italy next week......we'll see how I suffer with it.

Quote Originally Posted by qystan

With the 14-150 on the Epl2, I won't need another lens. 150 on a 4/3 is quite challenging without a tripod, practical limit would be 100.

Just gotten a 16-105 for my A55, became heavy....sigh.... Will be bringing it along for my trip to southern Italy next week......we'll see how I suffer with it.
    DSLR will be heavy with lenses. Something we can't escape from.

Some ppl can be so adverse of this that they refuse to have DSLRs

Having said this, Sony has already make their models as compact as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    DSLR will be heavy with lenses. Something we can't escape from.

Some ppl can be so adverse of this that they refuse to have DSLRs

Having said this, Sony has already make their models as compact as possible.
    agreed on the weight!! But that the pain for getting good quality pic.
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Hi qystan, so to you, the EPL2 is more than a glorified PnS. Instead, it somewhat easily replaced your heavy DSLR and is able to give you the shots that you want.

And I'm also concerned about the weight.

Pentax DSLRs are perhaps the smallest ones around.
    Smaller lenses too that are specifically designed for APS-C.
    Usually better featured than their counterparts of about the same price.
    You might want to take a look at them as well.

I don't think there is any wrong going m4/3 as well.
    Very small and nice native lenses.
    The Panasonic G3 and GH2 for example have very good 16mp sensors that preform well enough up to ISO1600, 3200.

Here is a sample on the picture quality from the G3.

G3 with Oly 45/1.8 at f3

100% crop
    Last edited by pinholecam; 11th November 2011 at 10:26 AM.

Hi qystan, so to you, the EPL2 is more than a glorified PnS. Instead, it somewhat easily replaced your heavy DSLR and is able to give you the shots that you want.

And I'm also concerned about the weight.
    I won't go as far as saying its equal to dslr. But if the final product is 4R 5R or photo book prints, it's very adequate.

Also note that I am not endorsing EPL2 as the choice. There is some bias im my choice, it is a bit on the heavy side. Check out the rest

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123