Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: new camera and lens

  1. #1

    Default new camera and lens

    Hello everyone, im a newcomer to the forums and world of photography, i was thinking of buying a Nikon D5100, is this a good starter camera? Also, im looking for a good macro lense, can anyone recommend me? Thanks .

  2. #2
    Member GReddyZC76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    singapore, northeast
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Yes... Good choice...

    Maybe a 'Good-er' choice... Maybe D7K /D300S

    A good-er-er choice... Maybe D700...

    A good-est choice... Maybe D3x... :lol:

    Macro... Depends on ur pocket... Depends on what u wanna shoot....

    Some says, serious macro, 105mm f/2.8 vr...

    Cheap macro, 40mm f/2.8 dx ....

    Lol:
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

  3. #3

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    thanks for the reply! Iwas initiallu thinking D7K, but price wise, more steep than D5100, my budget for lens + camera is around 2.6k.
    Im going to focus my photographing mainly on insects and everything small. Does anyone have any other opinions? I would love to hear more, thanks .

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Jurong / PG
    Posts
    167

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    I would suggest you go for at least D7000. U'll tend to itch for a better body as time goes by. When it comes to shooting insects, 105mm f/2.8 is appropriate, as u can shoot w/o scaring them from a distance.

  5. #5
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    the new nikkor AF-S 40mm F2.8 macro which will cost less then $400, best value for $$ macro lens.

  6. #6

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    thanks for the input guys . I will decide between the 105mm f/2.8 and the 40mm f/2.8 lense as well as D7K and D5.1K .

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Jurong / PG
    Posts
    167

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    Quote Originally Posted by heliam View Post
    thanks for the input guys . I will decide between the 105mm f/2.8 and the 40mm f/2.8 lense as well as D7K and D5.1K .
    Wish u all the best

  8. #8

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    Quote Originally Posted by heliam View Post
    thanks for the reply! Iwas initiallu thinking D7K, but price wise, more steep than D5100, my budget for lens + camera is around 2.6k.
    Im going to focus my photographing mainly on insects and everything small. Does anyone have any other opinions? I would love to hear more, thanks .
    As a macro shooter myself, my suggestion is the tamron 90mm f2.8. Its value for money and had a focal length which is suitable for shooting insects. If you had done a search in this forum, you would have known what i meant.
    Last edited by snowc; 7th November 2011 at 03:21 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    Go for D7k body only bro! I got D5k n now the itch to upgrade camera body is killing me. Wishing for more year end bonus.

  10. #10

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    hello where can i find photography full time course? thanks

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Jurong / PG
    Posts
    167

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    Quote Originally Posted by xiulan86 View Post
    hello where can i find photography full time course? thanks
    There's quite a few to name. But try Knowledge Bowl Training and Consultancy

  12. #12

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    Quote Originally Posted by snowc View Post
    As a macro shooter myself, my suggestion is the tamron 90mm f2.8. Its value for money and had a focal length which is suitable for shooting insects. If you had done a search in this forum, you would have known what i meant.
    Thanks, im currently looking at sample pics, reviews and prices on this lense, thanks for the suggestion . Btw i saw ur flickr, great photos!
    I am thinkning i should go with D7K, i come to a final decision when i decide the lense, than i can see how much i have set aside left for the body . Thanks all!

    Btw, which are the best places that sells camera?
    Last edited by heliam; 7th November 2011 at 03:42 PM.

  13. #13
    Member GReddyZC76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    singapore, northeast
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xiulan86
    hello where can i find photography full time course? Thanks
    'ojt' aka learn as u shot
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

  14. #14

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    You can try the reputable camera shops at Funan. My personal fav is "TK Foto" and "SLR Revolution" as I have received good servives from them. Doing a basic search in the forum will be most useful as this had been discussed numerous times.

  15. #15

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    oh thanks, ill do a search on the forum now .

  16. #16

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    For macro photography, the lens will be more important than the body in my opinion. I would suggest macro lens with at least a reach of 90 mm (tamron) or 105 mm (nikon), but it all depends on what you want to shoot. It will be difficult to use a 40 to 60 mm macro lens for shooting moving subjects like insects. Macro lens are usually quite sharp, even for lens from tamron or tokina. Check the forum for a second-hand lens that is well kept.

    Welcome to the world of macro photography!

  17. #17

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    Quote Originally Posted by heliam View Post
    Hello everyone, im a newcomer to the forums and world of photography, i was thinking of buying a Nikon D5100, is this a good starter camera? Also, im looking for a good macro lense, can anyone recommend me? Thanks .
    D5100 is a very capable entry level cam; couple with AF-S 18-55 & 55-300mm. A great cam to start with and later upgrade to a better cam

    It would make memories & travel photography a breeze and almost capable for Motor Sports due to slower focussing

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/repor...40-sepang.html

  18. #18

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Adios View Post
    For macro photography, the lens will be more important than the body in my opinion. I would suggest macro lens with at least a reach of 90 mm (tamron) or 105 mm (nikon), but it all depends on what you want to shoot. It will be difficult to use a 40 to 60 mm macro lens for shooting moving subjects like insects. Macro lens are usually quite sharp, even for lens from tamron or tokina. Check the forum for a second-hand lens that is well kept.

    Welcome to the world of macro photography!
    Thanks! Im going to get my camera next saturday, so i got enough time to research, plus i already did some of my research in the past. Im thinking of going for the nikon, but im still comparing specs!
    Quote Originally Posted by vincecarlo View Post
    D5100 is a very capable entry level cam; couple with AF-S 18-55 & 55-300mm. A great cam to start with and later upgrade to a better cam

    It would make memories & travel photography a breeze and almost capable for Motor Sports due to slower focussing
    Thanks for the tip! Ill check prices, if budget allows, i may get the D7K, if not ill stick with the 5100 . Great pics!

  19. #19

    Default

    Nikon lenses hold their resale value much better than third party lenses. Do consider that.

    Or shop used and you can't really go wrong, just make sure you know how to check for condition of lens.

  20. #20

    Default Re: new camera and lens

    thanks, i will try to find good condition second hand lenses, if not than ill check out the shops .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •