Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

  1. #1

    Default Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    Hey people.

    I will be going for an overseas exercise next January in NZ with my camera. I'm appointed as the photographer there. What I need to know is what steps do I have to take to protect the camera in these kind of condition.

    The exercise ground is on those kind of hilly terrains with grasslands and barren land. I'll be attached to a vehicle and there will be lots of movement, which will mean alot of dust and sand flying around from the loose sand. Plus as it's my first time bringing my camera equipment overseas, I don't really know about how I should carry it through the flight.

    Hope you guys can help me.

    Thanks in advanced.
    Sony a7R | Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4
    http://www.shadefotoworks.com - Automotive Photography

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    No photographs allowed in operational military exercises.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    No photographs allowed in operational military exercises.
    He already said he's been appointed as photographer. So obviously there is an approval coming from somewhere.

  4. #4
    Member JohnJon82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lavender
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    Ask them for a 1Ds body with L lens. Why need to use your own camera?
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

  5. #5

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    Ziploc bag and black tape. Place the camera in the bag and tape it up, works pretty well for very little money. Unless you're planning on doing river crossings and such that set up should be fairly sufficient.

    Back in my unit the photographers had Nikon D40s to D90s and a Sony A850. As far as I remembered, they didn't really do much in terms of protection, and the cameras all survived.

    When I was the designated photographer all I used was a 3-4 year old Casio compact camera. Worked pretty well for the job at hand, plus it being small and compact was a huge bonus when you've got other things to carry.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    Ask them for a 1Ds body with L lens. Why need to use your own camera?
    I'm using my 60D for convenience. Usually the camera they provide are not in great condition. And I'm used to my camera.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor937 View Post
    Ziploc bag and black tape. Place the camera in the bag and tape it up, works pretty well for very little money. Unless you're planning on doing river crossings and such that set up should be fairly sufficient.

    Back in my unit the photographers had Nikon D40s to D90s and a Sony A850. As far as I remembered, they didn't really do much in terms of protection, and the cameras all survived.

    When I was the designated photographer all I used was a 3-4 year old Casio compact camera. Worked pretty well for the job at hand, plus it being small and compact was a huge bonus when you've got other things to carry.
    Hmm I should try that.

    What do you guys think of gaffer taping the whole camera? or, i have seen a silicon case that cover the whole camera.
    Sony a7R | Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4
    http://www.shadefotoworks.com - Automotive Photography

  7. #7

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    I presume you are going Waiouru camp. The place is not as dusty as you think. Just keep your batteries warm when you are in the field. Hand carry your camera gear for the flight there and don't check it in. You can consider bringing a tripod for shooting landscape/sunset/sunrise.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    Quote Originally Posted by cutecdo View Post
    I presume you are going Waiouru camp. The place is not as dusty as you think. Just keep your batteries warm when you are in the field. Hand carry your camera gear for the flight there and don't check it in. You can consider bringing a tripod for shooting landscape/sunset/sunrise.
    Yes I am going there. Not as dusty? Even out in the field?
    Sony a7R | Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4
    http://www.shadefotoworks.com - Automotive Photography

  9. #9

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmad0420 View Post
    Yes I am going there. Not as dusty? Even out in the field?
    Nope. I shoot out of moving vehicle and in the field when I was there for TW. I changed lens in the vehicle though, the wind is strong there and change directions all the time. Ask to go along when the drivers go for orientation drive, plenty of shooting opportunity and they go places where you might not be going during the exercise itself.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    as long u dont dropped, it will do fine.
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

  11. #11

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    just curious... why do you want to use your own camera? Will they compensate you if something bad happen to your camera?
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  12. #12

    Default

    Don't worry about the sand, it won't get into your sensor. Worry about the little tiny rocks flying at you 30mph.

    Get a couple of cheap UV filters to protect your lens. Get a comfortable combat glove and you're good to go.

    Bring cleaning kits as well because after your road trip, your camera will be quite dirty so you gotta maintain everyday.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    just curious... why do you want to use your own camera? Will they compensate you if something bad happen to your camera?
    Actually I volunteered to do the shooting, and also want to get the experience using my camera in these type of environment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Don't worry about the sand, it won't get into your sensor. Worry about the little tiny rocks flying at you 30mph.

    Get a couple of cheap UV filters to protect your lens. Get a comfortable combat glove and you're good to go.

    Bring cleaning kits as well because after your road trip, your camera will be quite dirty so you gotta maintain everyday.
    It won't? That's my main concern. Cus I've things like "dust can go in your censor through the built-in flash". Rocks should not be a worry since I'll be driving an aircon vehicle, so can shoot from inside.

    And good advice, almost forgot regarding cleaning kit. Will be out in the field for a week straight!

    Quote Originally Posted by cutecdo View Post
    Nope. I shoot out of moving vehicle and in the field when I was there for TW. I changed lens in the vehicle though, the wind is strong there and change directions all the time. Ask to go along when the drivers go for orientation drive, plenty of shooting opportunity and they go places where you might not be going during the exercise itself.
    Ahh, wouldn't have to worry about that since I'm the driver myself and going for the orientation.
    Sony a7R | Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4
    http://www.shadefotoworks.com - Automotive Photography

  14. #14

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    Still trying to find the silicon body wrap, which I saw previously. Much the silicon case for handphones.
    Sony a7R | Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4
    http://www.shadefotoworks.com - Automotive Photography

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmad0420

    It won't? That's my main concern. Cus I've things like "dust can go in your censor through the built-in flash". Rocks should not be a worry since I'llI'll be driving an aircon vehicle, so can shoot from inside.
    As long as you don't open your lens, dust won't get inside. Gaffering it or seal your camera with plastic or silicon won't help as there will be gaps no matter the design

  16. #16

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    60D is weather sealed right? So generally no issue with the dust and rain.
    At most wash camera under tap once in camp (for WS camera+lens).
    That saying, I'd try not to use the camera during maneuvers to avoid too much dust on the camera in the first place.
    I presume you are familiar with Area-D type conditions when an armor column moves out, that coats the whole vehicle and everywhere with dust.
    Since its a "SAF exploitation" thing, no point risking own equipment over it.
    Just use the camera when at halt, or when you really think its not at too much risk of being dirtied.


    Other than using it cautiously;
    1. Use a filter (you will get dust on lens and with a cheap filter, you can just wipe away with a worry and continue shooting)
    2. Bring a cleaning kit
    3. Bring a few ZipLoc bags that can hold your camera. (will always come in handy).
    4. If your camera is not WS; then improvise with clear plastic bag with hole cut for your lens and seal up the openings with tape or rubber band. (remember not to put it at great risk of getting very dirty if its not a WS camera; no point to do so for SAF).
    5. More spare batteries. They deplete faster in the cold.
    6. Bring a couple of trash bags as well. Can be for anything. (cover camera bag from elements; cover camera; etc).


    Gd luck and enjoy
    Last edited by pinholecam; 9th November 2011 at 11:23 AM.

  17. #17
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmad0420 View Post
    Still trying to find the silicon body wrap, which I saw previously. Much the silicon case for handphones.
    The silicone case do not protect against dust or water well. The vulnerable areas are all open.

  18. #18
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    Your mid-range camera is sufficiently well sealed enough to handle dusty conditions.

    I doubt you will see much dust and sand on your camera, but I don't think it will malfunction. If you're worried about marks from the sand, etc, then you can gaffer it up temporarily during the exercise.

    One point to take note is that you should try to avoid changing lens in such conditions. If you must, then suggest to bring a trash bag to change the lens in, or something similar to minimize the chances of sand entering the cavity of the body.

    How you should carry it through the flight? You just bring a camera bag that is compatible with any carry-on baggage guidelines (if they apply). That's about it.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Protecting Camera in Harsh Condition

    buy a waterproof case .... it does protect your camera from sand, rocks or grits
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

  20. #20
    Member tikiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Back home in Singapore
    Posts
    941

    Default

    My 2 cents worth
    Carry a soft brush to dust off the fine sand and dirt.

    Paste a piece of double sided tape on front n rear cover to attract fine dust n sand.

    A few ntuc typed plastic bags comes in handy.

    Use lens hood. They are great against flying stuff coming in from the side.

    Dun waste $ on the silicon camera armor. I had one. Dun really protect the camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •