Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Unfriendly Approach of Esplanade Security Guards

Default Re: Unfriendly Approach of Esplanade Security Guards

Quote Originally Posted by photoart View Post
    I have had my share of enounters with buildings' security guards.

it's all about people relations management. You take the soft approach, the opposition will soften. You go hard, they will retaliate.

it's not only with security guards, but with everyone.

There was once I was shooting with a couple of models at the cathay building. When the guards approach me. I just smiled and told them i'm shooting for personal reasons. They kindly explain to me that they can't let me do it unless I have a permit.

So I just kindly request that I do a few simple shots and will be out in no time. however they also explained that they have to answer to the management too.

They even gave me the telephone number of the management to request for a "permit". after talking to the management, I just have to email to them to inform them the date and time that I want to shoot.

Subsequently whenever I want to shoot at buildings, I just send an email to them. If they don't allow, I just don't shoot there. If they allow, I print out the email and bring with me on the shoot

Fullerton Hotel was so nice they they even gave me a "approval letter", just in case anyone asked.

so, in future during any people-to-people interaction, just go for the soft approach.

Dealing with a sales-staff or customer service staff or anybody is the same:
    if you smile, and smile... and smile....and smile.... the other party will soften
    if you go hard and scold... the other party will start to defend
    agrees, if we don't go start hard and cold, the other parties have no option but to follow or else they will look bad on themselves.

photoart: may be is it possible you could share your template, this will be helpful for other shooters as well.

Default Re: Unfriendly Approach of Esplanade Security Guards

Quote Originally Posted by slmka View Post
    agrees, if we don't go start hard and cold, the other parties have no option but to follow or else they will look bad on themselves.

photoart: may be is it possible you could share your template, this will be helpful for other shooters as well.
    yes, so true. In any people interaction situation, the other party will not continue to behave like a "red bull" if you don't agitate him/her. If they continue being hostile, it'' look bad on them

just do this experiment:
    walk up to anybody and smile... the other person will mostly smile back
    walk up to anybody in a hostile manner ... the other person start being defensive

I don't have a official template. But in my emails, I just address it to "person-in-charge".

Then i identify myself. Sometimes I say I am a freelance photographer building up my portfilio. Sometime I say I am a wedding photographer and have a "bridal couple" coming from overseas for their pre-wedding shoot. Sometimes I say it's for a personal project.

Then i state the date and time of my intended shoot, the number of people involved and the equipment involved. Then i will promise we'll not cause any disruption to their building operations.

Then thank them in advance for their kind time and attention

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234