Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unfriendly Approach of Esplanade Security Guards

Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee
    of cuz we all know that security guards are doing their job...fine we understand that. But the problem is how they carried out their job? Trying to act agressive and abusive on the harmless public?
    If you are so unhappy then avoid tat place, the guards are there doin their job as security officer and not customer relation officer. They receive different training, and ppl like us will never know Wat esplanade management impose rules to their guards. If I am the guard, I will rather chase you out rather than smashing my rice bowl.
    Yes, guards have no right to demand for yr ic but they can detain you Till police arrival.
    For police, you can also choose not to give them yr ic however you must provide your particular to them at least verbally.
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Default Re: Unfriendly Approach of Esplanade Security Guards

There have been studies showing people in jobs with power but with little status (like security guards, low level prison wardens, etc) tend to become abusive.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    There have been studies showing people in jobs with power but with little status (like security guards, low level prison wardens, etc) tend to become abusive.
    Stanford prison experiment, even ordinary people in an experimental psychological role-play brings out the worst in them.

Recent BBC article dated 2011-08-17 T 20:16 +00:00.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 6th November 2011 at 12:24 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    Singapore everything must have permit one...

lol, sibei funny.

for those who never watched Matt video before :

Last edited by ninelives; 6th November 2011 at 12:41 PM.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Stanford prison experiment, even ordinary people in an experimental psychological role-play brings out the worst in them.

Recent BBC article dated 2011-08-17 T 20:16 +00:00.
    I was referring to this more recent study: http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~nathanaf/pow...out_status.pdf

It is the type of approach that counts a great deal in any situation - friendly or not.

Blog Entries

I was referring to this more recent study: http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~nathanaf/pow...out_status.pdf
    interesting study... may shed some light to forum behavior too (scratches chin)

but can we generally agree that to shoot at esplanade we do need a location release? if so, then putting the behavior aside, we have to admit that perhaps TS might had forgotten about it/took it for granted.

as for the behavior, just write a letter to feedback. dun think need to complain, because people are doing their job. it might had been just a bad day for them, and at 2am too...

if i'm the guard, i see someone at 2am at esplanade... i'll surely suspect something fishy
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 6th November 2011 at 01:18 PM.

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

The article did made several primary references to the 1971 Stanford prison experiment.

YouTube Video ID No. KMQZJZSSK4.

YouTube Video ID No. BCVSNG0HZWK. Milgram Experiment.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 6th November 2011 at 02:22 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Can't blame them. If u got strobes, lightings. It's a commercial shoot. And it required permits.

But u can write to the management and complain about their abusive behaviors. Best is next time a similar situation, u video record every thing and show it to the management as evidence of such behavior by the security guards.

I got once chased away from the sydney opera house ( around 10 years ago) . Many people taking photos there , but I guess I was the only one with a huge gitzo tripod and a Rolly 6008. So, the security guards told me , it was not allowed to do " commercial photography" there. Well, I am not and never was a professional photographer, I work in printing. No one wanted to listen. Later I wrote a letter to some tourist office in sydney , I got a written apology , and a written permit to photograph everywhere in sydney if I ever come back.

Blog Entries

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

The article did made several primary references to the 1971 Stanford prison experiment.

YouTube Video ID No. KMQZJZSSK4.

YouTube Video ID No. BCVSNG0HZWK. Milgram Experiment.
    but milgram is more of a... overly compliant syndrome, rather than an abuse of power

TS, do a search for a thread that was probably names 'No photography' or no photography allowed. It was a few years ago, and the thread was very, very long. IIRC the TS of that thread made it into the Chinese newspapers. Chinatown, Tourist Promotion Board and the Esplanade was mentioned, with some giving answers.

Look at the public reply from the Esplanade. You might find that very interesting.

If you like, you could share that thread with us. Unfortunately, I have no time to search.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    TS, do a search for a thread that was probably names 'No photography' or no photography allowed. It was a few years ago, and the thread was very, very long. IIRC the TS of that thread made it into the Chinese newspapers. Chinatown, Tourist Promotion Board and the Esplanade was mentioned, with some giving answers.

Look at the public reply from the Esplanade. You might find that very interesting.

If you like, you could share that thread with us. Unfortunately, I have no time to search.

Cheers!
    Here.

Esplanade comment.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 7th November 2011 at 12:28 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Why can't we have security guard like this in Esplanade so that we can shoot her?

http://www.alamy.com/thumbs/3/%7BE76...%7D/AWG0J8.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Why can't we have security guard like this in Esplanade so that we can shoot her?

http://www.alamy.com/thumbs/3/%7BE76...%7D/AWG0J8.jpg
    Waaaa you wanna "shoot" her har. Kekeke
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

If security "see people", then they are fairly consistent in picking on me.

@ asian civilisation museum, one rude security guards shouted at me and a few other visitors not to flash. This is on 2nd floor which it puts a 'stage set' of an old chinese restaurant, so all things there are fake. So why no flash? The second security guard put his hand in my face and told me "You cannot enter this area!" , never clarified if I need a ticket or a special pass (there is no sign).

@ wan qing yuen (Dr Sun), while just using a digicam , asked me to put in quiet mode (!). there were plenty of people using DSLR. Actually the another security guard did wonder why the 1st one ask for quiet mode but I cannot hear their conversation, probably the answer was "I just wanna bully this guy".

Thanks 9V. :-)

maybe someone should invite Bruce Gilden to do street photography near parliament. especially on the guards

better still, istana!

Security guards are usually the down and out of society. They are frequently foreigners on work permit. (Remember the Bangla security guard who pulled a stunt on a local lady doctor breastfeeding her child? He got hell for that. He picked the wrong person to bully)

In a TV documentary on the World War 2 Thai-Burma death railway, an ex-prisoner-of-war remarked that the Japanese engineers in charge were not as brutal and cruel as their underlings, who were Koreans drafted by the Japanese.

The same psychology at work here.

Security guards who know they are losers in society, try to be more ngiau and unreasonable and in so doing, hope to win approval of their superiors.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Security guards are usually the down and out of society. They are frequently foreigners on work permit. (Remember the Bangla security guard who pulled a stunt on a local lady doctor breastfeeding her child? He got hell for that. He picked the wrong person to bully)

In a TV documentary on the World War 2 Thai-Burma death railway, an ex-prisoner-of-war remarked that the Japanese engineers in charge were not as brutal and cruel as their underlings, who were Koreans drafted by the Japanese.

The same psychology at work here.

Security guards who know they are losers in society, try to be more ngiau and unreasonable and in so doing, hope to win approval of their superiors.
    or abuse their authority to bully those that are above them in society.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast