Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unfriendly Approach of Esplanade Security Guards

Default Unfriendly Approach of Esplanade Security Guards

It's was late at night around 2am, there were still quite alot of people around esp. couples. My friends and i were doing a night photoshoot with a model (there were 4 photographers and 1 model) at the Esplanade open space facing the CBD area, merlion and the MBS.These 2 security came to us in quite an aggressive manner and demand IC from one of my friends. WE ARE NOT MAKING ANY SCENES OR TROUBLES AND WE ARE SHOOTING IN AN ORDERLY AND QUIET MANNER but they are treating us like criminals. I'm not happy so i went up to them and ask why and i asked them is taking photo not allowed? Then all sorts of funny answers came out like this is a private place....BUT People from all around the world, locals have been taking photos here since Esplanade opened to public. Out of sudden, it can't? weren't security guards' job is to safe keep not only the property of the owners but also the safety of the people there? Why are they treating the innocence like criminals? In the end i gave my IC and contact no. to them even though i dunno since when a security guard has this right to do so.

Anyway, i believe exployers should train their security guards/officers on how to handle people in an appropriate manner. I'm not sure if any of the bros here have been facing simialr issues?

Default Re: Unfriendly Approach of Esplanade Security Guards

you are not alone. My friend also kena.

Best is you either call or write to the management of Esplanade Co. Ltd about your complaint.
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

i kicked the security guard in the balls, run away as fast as i can. true story.

and if it's a female security guard... well, i'll just distract her with the latest fashion trends and she'll forget what she stopped me for. once again, true story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee View Post
    It's was late at night around 2am, there were still quite alot of people around esp. couples. My friends and i were doing a night photoshoot with a model (there were 4 photographers and 1 model) at the Esplanade open space facing the CBD area, merlion and the MBS.These 2 security came to us in quite an aggressive manner and demand IC from one of my friends. WE ARE NOT MAKING ANY SCENES OR TROUBLES AND WE ARE SHOOTING IN AN ORDERLY AND QUIET MANNER but they are treating us like criminals. I'm not happy so i went up to them and ask why and i asked them is taking photo not allowed? Then all sorts of funny answers came out like this is a private place....BUT People from all around the world, locals have been taking photos here since Esplanade opened to public. Out of sudden, it can't? weren't security guards' job is to safe keep not only the property of the owners but also the safety of the people there? Why are they treating the innocence like criminals? In the end i gave my IC and contact no. to them even though i dunno since when a security guard has this right to do so.

Anyway, i believe exployers should train their security guards/officers on how to handle people in an appropriate manner. I'm not sure if any of the bros here have been facing simialr issues?
    actually, esplanade IS a private entity. u need a location release to shoot there technically. at day time, perhaps u can get pass, because the owners recognise that it is a tourist area and hence they dun say much. but once u start hauling lightings and strobes and shooting 2am? sorry u need a location release.

if u dun believe me, ask any experience full time working photographer here. same ans.

doesnt matter if u are doing it quietly or not. so long as it is private property, owner is the boss. we had our fair share at ganbatte japan, for shooting only at public locations. shopping malls didnt even allow us to stand in their building shelters, apart from the few that the mods have managed to get access to.

so there u have it.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 5th November 2011 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i kicked the security guard in the balls, run away as fast as i can. true story.

and if it's a female security guard... well, i'll just distract her with the latest fashion trends and she'll forget what she stopped me for. once again, true story
    ... you are a scary girl...

i better wear a martial art groin protector if i meet you... LOL
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

technically, you are shooting in their premisses,
    to them, you are doing a commercial shoot,

if you guys behave like tourists and using a compact digi cam, nobody will bother you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Singapore everything must have permit one...

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post

Yeah sure! In your dreams at 2am only, or rather your nightmares If you are not careful, your **** may be squeezed in reality :O
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 5th November 2011 at 08:15 PM.

If you are on their turf, then that's how it is.. Security guards do have the right to deny you entry on the private places they are in charge of.

My view is that just take it as they are doing their job... They did not chase you off, did they? They just asked for identification, if you have done nothing wrong, I don't see why there is any trouble giving it to them. If you are unhappy with the way they have handled the matter, my suggestion is to ask for their names in return, and then give feedback to Esplanade management.

Esplanade - Contact Us

Cheers.

Security guard has NO RIGHT to demand for someone's IC. Call Police if encounters the same again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LFC25 View Post
    Security guard has NO RIGHT to demand for someone's IC.
    who said so? show me the law that says that.

Even police officer are not allowed to ask for IC unless Sergeant or above. The police man can ask you to follow him to the station to present the IC to the Sergeant though.
    Chris
    5D2 / 5D3 / 16-35 2.8L II USM / 24-70 2.8L / 100 2.8L IS Macro/ 70-200 2.8L IS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chris0804 View Post
    Even police officer are not allowed to ask for IC unless Sergeant or above. The police man can ask you to follow him to the station to present the IC to the Sergeant though.
    i'm not so sure about that. i got hauled up by a patrolling officer before for squatting beside the road. take down ic on a notepad, drives off in a patrol car.
    i cant find any information with regards to this online though. so its still at a "hearsay" level. try not to give information on legal procedures, unless we can back it up ok? better be safe than to mislead people.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    who said so? show me the law that says that.
    If I'm not wrong, the security guard can ask for your identification, but you are not compelled to provide it.

However, he does have the right to ask you to leave the grounds in most cases. This should generally depend on property owner's policy, and whether the property owner has empowered the security personnel to do so.

So if you're talking about rights to demand for identification, it depends on what you mean by rights. Anyone has the right to ask anyone else for identification, but whether they are compelled to produce the identification or are in violation of the law upon refusal, that's another matter altogether.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    If I'm not wrong, the security guard can ask for your identification, but you are not compelled to provide it.

However, he does have the right to ask you to leave the grounds in most cases. This should generally depend on property owner's policy, and whether the property owner has empowered the security personnel to do so.

So if you're talking about rights to demand for identification, it depends on what you mean by rights. Anyone has the right to ask anyone else for identification, but whether they are compelled to produce the identification or are in violation of the law upon refusal, that's another matter altogether.
    the closest i could find is from the National Registration Act

section 13,
    (e) unlawfully deprives any person of an identity card;
    shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $5,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to both.

but if he only requests to view, and does not confiscate... he isn't depriving anyone of any card. and the important thing is unlawfully...
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 5th November 2011 at 09:57 PM.

It is a game. Play along with it. The security guards want to show they are doing their duty. But of course they also "see people". They observe and size you up before they make their move. If you looked like important, rich and powerful people, they won't dare to impose on you or ask for your identification. That is reality.

Quote Originally Posted by LFC25 View Post
    Security guard has NO RIGHT to demand for someone's IC. Call Police if encounters the same again.
    "You have the right to remain silent.
    Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
    You have the right to speak to an attorney,
    and to have an attorney present during any questioning.
    If you cannot afford a lawyer,
    one will be provided for you at government expense."

Last edited by Sion; 5th November 2011 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    Singapore everything must have permit one...

n u mean other countries dun need permit ?
    technically.. most countries will have this issue.. not just in singapore..
    dun be so critical of your homeland..

of cuz we all know that security guards are doing their job...fine we understand that. But the problem is how they carried out their job? Trying to act agressive and abusive on the harmless public?

of cuz we all know that security guards are doing their job...fine we understand that. But the problem is how they carried out their job? Trying to act agressive and abusive on the harmless public?
    Give a man a uniform and a wooden rifle. See how he is changed.
    Last edited by Sion; 6th November 2011 at 01:26 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast