Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Run in with security

  1. #1
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Run in with security

    I was snapping photos of my new place's surrounding off my own balcony. Then heard some shouting. Turns out to be the security of a neighbouring condo. He starting snapping photos of me. When I went to talk to him, he claims he was protecting his residents and that I was pointing my camera at his condo (which I was not). Then he says he will make a police report. I guess I have to do so too to clear my name.

    Taking photos from one's balcony also cannot meh? :S

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Run in with security

    let the police come, than show the police what you took from your balcony,
    and you do this three time a day, till the police tell security guard to mind his own business.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #3

    Default Re: Run in with security

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I was snapping photos of my new place's surrounding off my own balcony. Then heard some shouting. Turns out to be the security of a neighbouring condo. He starting snapping photos of me. When I went to talk to him, he claims he was protecting his residents and that I was pointing my camera at his condo (which I was not). Then he says he will make a police report. I guess I have to do so too to clear my name.

    Taking photos from one's balcony also cannot meh? :S
    Don't worry about him
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Run in with security

    You don't need to do anything. The guard don't know what he's doing, protacting his residents? from what?

    Security guard will need to inform their head office and the condo's management before making police report, both will likely stop him.

    Police will not take any action as no crime was committed.

    Police will usually ask the security guard to inform the conco'd management to handle as this is a private matter.

    No worries
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Run in with security

    Can't blame the security as everyone and everywhere are getting jittery about people with cameras after 9/11.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

  6. #6
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Run in with security

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I was snapping photos of my new place's surrounding off my own balcony. Then heard some shouting. Turns out to be the security of a neighbouring condo. He starting snapping photos of me. When I went to talk to him, he claims he was protecting his residents and that I was pointing my camera at his condo (which I was not). Then he says he will make a police report. I guess I have to do so too to clear my name.

    Taking photos from one's balcony also cannot meh? :S
    overzealous security personnel
    Exploring! :)

  7. #7

    Default Re: Run in with security

    the guard is just doing his job. If I am a resident of the condo, I will thank the guard for doing his job.

    Just imagine your condo's guard just sitting there and doing nothing when there's a stranger pointing a camera in the direction of your home. I'll feel uncomfortable if my wife/girlfriend/daughter(or mother) dressed skimply at home and I'll be thinking the opposite photographer is trying something funny (taking photos of unsuspecting women and loading onto scanky websites)

    even if you are a male, the photogaper may be taking photos of you and loading them onto homo websitesv

    so always put yourself in the shoes of the other party, then consider your own actions. then you will be happier

    cheers everyone

  8. #8

    Default Re: Run in with security

    Remember:

    Secuirty gaurd has NO AUTHORITY to stop you from taking pics
    Secuirty gaurd has NO RIGHT to view your pics in your camera
    Secuirty gaurd has NO POWER to demand your pics to be deleted

  9. #9

    Default Re: Run in with security

    Quote Originally Posted by LFC25 View Post
    Remember:

    Secuirty gaurd has NO AUTHORITY to stop you from taking pics
    Secuirty gaurd has NO RIGHT to view your pics in your camera
    Secuirty gaurd has NO POWER to demand your pics to be deleted




    i have taken pictures of parliament house before. created funny shots out of them. posted them online. yet i'm still here.

    condo? just another over-zealous security guard

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: Run in with security

    Being over-zealous doesn't mean that the guard is doing his job. If he doesn't know his responsibilities and scope of his authority, he is negligent in his duties.
    Last edited by Prismatic; 5th November 2011 at 04:16 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nedy77
    the guard is just doing his job. If I am a resident of the condo, I will thank the guard for doing his job.

    Just imagine your condo's guard just sitting there and doing nothing when there's a stranger pointing a camera in the direction of your home. I'll feel uncomfortable if my wife/girlfriend/daughter(or mother) dressed skimply at home and I'll be thinking the opposite photographer is trying something funny (taking photos of unsuspecting women and loading onto scanky websites)

    even if you are a male, the photogaper may be taking photos of you and loading them onto homo websitesv

    so always put yourself in the shoes of the other party, then consider your own actions. then you will be happier

    cheers everyone
    Oh my goodness.
    I can't believe someone can actually condone the security guard's actions.
    It's one thing to be concerned that your residents' rights may be violated, but it's another thing altogether to over-step the limits of your authority.
    Exploring! :)

  12. #12
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Run in with security

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I was snapping photos of my new place's surrounding off my own balcony. Then heard some shouting. Turns out to be the security of a neighbouring condo. He starting snapping photos of me. When I went to talk to him, he claims he was protecting his residents and that I was pointing my camera at his condo (which I was not). Then he says he will make a police report. I guess I have to do so too to clear my name.

    Taking photos from one's balcony also cannot meh? :S
    Of course you can take photos from your balcony.

    But don't forget, he also can take photos of you.. As to whether he is right or wrong, it's not important, everyone has the right to take photos in your account here. He also can make police report if he thinks there is cause, and if you have done nothing wrong, there is nothing to fear.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Run in with security

    Quote Originally Posted by nedy77 View Post
    the guard is just doing his job. If I am a resident of the condo, I will thank the guard for doing his job.

    Just imagine your condo's guard just sitting there and doing nothing when there's a stranger pointing a camera in the direction of your home. I'll feel uncomfortable if my wife/girlfriend/daughter(or mother) dressed skimply at home and I'll be thinking the opposite photographer is trying something funny (taking photos of unsuspecting women and loading onto scanky websites)

    even if you are a male, the photogaper may be taking photos of you and loading them onto homo websitesv

    so always put yourself in the shoes of the other party, then consider your own actions. then you will be happier

    cheers everyone
    Reminds me of women who sunbathe topless & yet get "offended" if their pictures are taken. If we are not embarassed about our dressing, why should we feel embarassed if others take our photos? Better close the windows or pull the blinds. If one is not careful, photos may be taken & published in newspapers or even reported to the police as offensive to the eyes, obscene especially if viewed by children as has happened before. If nothing embarssing or offensive who wants to post something "funny", there are enough "funny" pics already on the net. Perfectly normal pics of person can also be doctored to appear "funny". Condo so what, only Condos entitled to privacy? Such residents or guards must be really paranoid if thats the case...
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 5th November 2011 at 08:19 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Run in with security

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Of course you can take photos from your balcony.

    But don't forget, he also can take photos of you.. As to whether he is right or wrong, it's not important, everyone has the right to take photos in your account here. He also can make police report if he thinks there is cause, and if you have done nothing wrong, there is nothing to fear.
    Thank you for everyone's advice and support.

    I have done nothing wrong. So I decided to let his horse come. Meanwhile, will continue with my balcony photography. Of coz will now bear in mind sensitivities.

  15. #15
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Run in with security

    This incident brought up an interesting question: in Singapore, what can and cannot be photographed?

    When I was young many many many moons ago, friends and I in NCC were snapping happily in an army camp. Then kena stopped by a MP who ripped the negative out. We were young then so we blur blur don't know how to react. Anyway, till today, I think we were in the wrong. So nothing to say.

    But if I am in my own home (or in a friend's house) or a public place, then are there some rules to forbid me from snapping at a distance object/person? I accept that if it is seedy stuff like upskirt etc, then of course it is a violation of someone's modesty. And, I always felt that if someone tells me "don't shoot me" - it is a matter of courtesy that I should not. But what does the law say? Any legal expert out there?

  16. #16

    Default

    http://www.***********.com.sg/forums...s-in-Singapore
    I have actually done a slight research on this.however, what I am about to say is not a legal advice but mere reflection of what I can infer from information from net.
    Firstly, in the case of photography in military camps or secure areas are strictly prohibited. There are sufficient signs in the designated area that indicate no photography is allowed.
    Secondly, for where is allowed for photography please refer to the link above.
    Thirdly, if I am not wrong, as long as you can in a public space any thing in sight are allowed to be photographed.
    In the case of photographing authorised security personal, there is ambiguity in the law. As there is nothing in the law that says you are not allowed( provided you are in public property). How it works in places elsewhere is that they are allowed to delete your photos without a court order. However, like I said" elsewhere".
    Last bug not least, anything in public view is fair game as long as you do not harass I.e. Go up to the persons face and spam or result in outrage of modesty.
    Perhaps any legal advisors care to clarify or affirm my statements?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Run in with security

    Question - let's say the balcony is facing the opp condo pool And got bikini babes enjoying and sunbath - is that ok to take out the telephoto and snap ?

  18. #18

    Default

    Technically yes... But you may be labelled as tiko...once again this jus my opinion

  19. #19

    Default Re: Run in with security

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post
    Can't blame the security as everyone and everywhere are getting jittery about people with cameras after 9/11.
    As an American I take issue with your comment. That excuse has been used by politicians in the US and the rest of the world for a DECADE to take people's rights away and suppress a religion! How are people with cameras tied to 9/11 anyway? Cameras didn't bring the towers down, 2 fully loaded airliners piloted by freaks did.
    The Taliban even banned kite flying. Yes, let's become just like them because that way they won't hurt us.
    Tyrov
    Flickr

  20. #20
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrov

    As an American I take issue with your comment. That excuse has been used by politicians in the US and the rest of the world for a DECADE to take people's rights away and suppress a religion! How are people with cameras tied to 9/11 anyway? Cameras didn't bring the towers down, 2 fully loaded airliners piloted by freaks did.
    The Taliban even banned kite flying. Yes, let's become just like them because that way they won't hurt us.
    Thumbs up. I was living there when it happened and I still do not believe in the patriot act and other BS the politicians come up with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •