Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricoh GR Digital IV

Default Re: Ricoh GR Digital IV

Anyone has lastest price info for GRD 4 (white)? My wife is interested in getting one

Quote Originally Posted by KennyYip View Post
    Anyone has lastest price info for GRD 4 (white)? My wife is interested in getting one
    I bought it in last year was selling about $900 after it launched not too long. But this price is no longer true. It will be a great gift for your wife.

Recommended chinese books on GRDs:

GRD: 極致的浪漫
    իȨӮy]>GRDGP

光影的書寫: GRD極致的浪漫
    誠“網路›— - …‰影š„›寫: GRD極‡š„浪漫

16 Hours Difference: a year of Mom(2) x GRD(2)
    16 Hours Difference :: —ž客‚ PIXNET ::

Ricoh GR Digital IV Work Shop
    誠“網路›— - Ricoh GR Digital IV Work Shop
    Last edited by sanfong; 2nd October 2012 at 04:48 PM.

Ricoh GRD IV review. For those powerful in reading chinese.

ذʽ F1.9GRD4_Ƶ_

Quote Originally Posted by sanfong View Post

իȨӮy]>GRDG­P

品網路書店 - 光影的書寫: GRD極致的浪漫
    The blog of the author mookio.

mookio 阿默 | 單純的美好: GRD 浪漫隨手拍

Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    mookio blog has a lot of good photographs playing on light, camera characteristics and the different genre like street, still life, cats, landscape etc. not technically perfect in term of focus and sharpness but her emphasis is more on feel, texture and colour. make me feel immediately want to trade in my GXR for a GRD hahaha...
    shoot to remember. flickr

Quote Originally Posted by seefei View Post
    mookio blog has a lot of good photographs playing on light, camera characteristics and the different genre like street, still life, cats, landscape etc. not technically perfect in term of focus and sharpness but her emphasis is more on feel, texture and colour. make me feel immediately want to trade in my GXR for a GRD hahaha...
    But why? The GXR should be better than the GRDIV!

Different animal. GRD is quite a bit smaller. The smaller sensor almost meant that even at f1.9, a lot of things are in focus due to the shallow DOF. I don't quite need to focus sometimes, by setting it to snap focus 2.5m for example. Streets are really simple with this camera. Much more so than the GXR.

Don't forget the LCD screen too ... it's much better than the GXR one. Go figure.

One can say that a lot of compact cameras are capable of that. The LX series, the recent Fuji and Sony offerings. But nothing beats the GRD in operation in my humble opinion. It almost felt like an iPhone (fix lens), something you'll carry with you always, that's got a possible better sensor, lens, better handling and a much better photographic tool. I still need the iPhone to make calls (not just to take pictures).

All it needs now for GRD 5, would be to include wireless capabilities to upload pictures (to devices or cloud), and an even better sensor (those 1-inch sensors will be nice to have, while keeping the dimensions similar).
    Last edited by hjbyeo; 3rd October 2012 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hjbyeo View Post
    Different animal. GRD is quite a bit smaller. The smaller sensor almost meant that even at f1.9, a lot of things are in focus due to the shallow DOF. I don't quite need to focus sometimes, by setting it to snap focus 2.5m for example. Streets are really simple with this camera. Must more so than the GXR.

One can say that a lot of compact cameras are capable of that. The LX series, the recent Fuji and Sony offerings. But nothing beats the GRD in operation in my humble opinion.
    U still have the GRD?, want to try it out. judging from that blog, post processing also play a part. as most of the photos are not dead sharp but a play on the angle, light flare and colour (lomo & xpro), a small cam like the GRD is really good for street photography. the flexibility to shoot low, stealth, odd angle really contribute to the success of those photographs.
    shoot to remember. flickr

Seefei, a lot of what the GRD IV can do, it can be replicated with the GXR, except that the cost of the GXR module and overall size can be a factor. GXR can also do snap focus. But the GRD did have my fancy too... but bo pian, bought the GXR liao.

Quote Originally Posted by seefei View Post
    U still have the GRD?, want to try it out. judging from that blog, post processing also play a part. as most of the photos are not dead sharp but a play on the angle, light flare and colour (lomo & xpro), a small cam like the GRD is really good for street photography. the flexibility to shoot low, stealth, odd angle really contribute to the success of those photographs.
    By mistake, I sold mine. Plan to get it back again. Who wants my S10 (I'll sell cheap)?

By mistake, I sold mine. Plan to get it back again. Who wants my S10 (I'll sell cheap)?
    No, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hjbyeo

U will hav lotsa fun if u get it back. GRD III will be my last camera in the list to trade off. Somehow GRD IV white cant give the same experience as GRD III. GXR not even close. Probably I'm not used to grossy finishing and its 'quite loud' in street (cos its white ). I'm considering to get a black GRD IV and keep the white for family heirloom (LOL).

Btw I'm in Orchard now. Going to Kino to grab the chinese book "16 hours difference". Hope it is available.

Quote Originally Posted by sanfong View Post

իȨӮy]>GRDGP

誠“網路›— - …‰影š„›寫: GRD極‡š„浪漫

16 Hours Difference: a year of Mom(2) x GRD(2)
    16 Hours Difference :: —ž客‚ PIXNET ::

Ricoh GR Digital IV Work Shop
    誠“網路›— - Ricoh GR Digital IV Work Shop
    Highly recommend both titles by mookio. The first book was meant for GRD 1-3, the second book was updated to include GRD 4 and also replaced interviews of GRD users with new ones. I still keep both books even though I no longer own a GRD and reading through them certainly makes me feel like picking up one again. As for the GRD VI Workshop, it is a waste of money.

For those who are really powerful in Chinese, you may also wanna look at euyoung's blog. He was featured in mookio's first GRD book and is the founder of GR Fan Club.
    Last edited by Randius; 3rd October 2012 at 02:06 PM.

1 recent review from Stevehuff website - Simple Review of the Ricoh GRDIV for Travel Photography by William Jusuf | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

And something that someone shared with me about the pictures taken with GRD 4 -

Ricoh GRD IV - a set on Flickr

Go figure if it suits your taste for a compact / travel camera.

just got the mookie's 2nd GRD book..

lots of interesting stuff for newbie like me..recommending it too.

Volkswagen Beetle by b1ackmag1c, on Flickr
    Last edited by b1ackmag1c; 5th October 2012 at 08:51 PM.

Different animal. GRD is quite a bit smaller. The smaller sensor almost meant that even at f1.9, a lot of things are in focus due to the shallow DOF. I don't quite need to focus sometimes, by setting it to snap focus 2.5m for example. Streets are really simple with this camera. Much more so than the GXR.

Don't forget the LCD screen too ... it's much better than the GXR one. Go figure.

One can say that a lot of compact cameras are capable of that. The LX series, the recent Fuji and Sony offerings. But nothing beats the GRD in operation in my humble opinion. It almost felt like an iPhone (fix lens), something you'll carry with you always, that's got a possible better sensor, lens, better handling and a much better photographic tool. I still need the iPhone to make calls (not just to take pictures).

All it needs now for GRD 5, would be to include wireless capabilities to upload pictures (to devices or cloud), and an even better sensor (those 1-inch sensors will be nice to have, while keeping the dimensions similar).

Interesting you should mention depth of field and 1 inch sensor, as I was just looking at pics on flickr taken by sony rx100 and GRDIV. Bokeh from GRD IV seems very creamy and better than rx100, while both have very sharp images, even without post processing.

As the resident expert on GRD, have you had a chance to compare the Sony rx100 with GRD IV?
    Samsung Galaxay S4 Zoom, Pentax MX-1,Olympus OM-D EM-5 (wet weather camera), Pentax X-5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTaylor View Post
    Interesting you should mention depth of field and 1 inch sensor, as I was just looking at pics on flickr taken by sony rx100 and GRDIV. Bokeh from GRD IV seems very creamy and better than rx100, while both have very sharp images, even without post processing.

As the resident expert on GRD, have you had a chance to compare the Sony rx100 with GRD IV?
    Now that u asked, I'd happened to pass by the Sony shops and surprisingly, no one testing the rx100. Since the product was launched, I hardly had the chance, or patience to wait for my turn to play with it. Its surprisingly small and compact, and it seems to have a wonderful screen as well, but lack the handling of the GRD.

I cant test the grd side by side, so can't comment on the bokeh. But if you ask me, these compacts won't give u great bokeh. And if you buy either, that should be the last few criteria (maybe not even 1).

Ok Ricoh GRD IV White version has reached its limited number of sets (10,000 sets only) and no longer in production.

Black version still in production.

http://photorumors.com/2012/10/21/is...a-coming-soon/
    Last edited by sanfong; 22nd October 2012 at 04:48 PM.

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722 ... LastLast