Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: tripod in hand luggage?

  1. #1

    Default tripod in hand luggage?

    is it ok to bring tripod in hand luggage?

    or will they ask you to take out and check in separately?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    have brought along tripods several times. no question asked. but mine's a light (<1kg) one.

  3. #3

    Default

    haha...normally no prob one la...juz tt maybe its my face lo.... young punk cannot be photog hahaa.....

  4. #4

    Default

    thanks bros..

    coz i just bought the SLIK sprint mini today and was wondering if they will make a fuss over the sharp ends of the tripod legs..hehe

    since no problem by you guys here...then should be ok...

    thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member wormz777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    I was stopped carrying my sprint pro n was forced to check in the tripod. Just this June.

    My friend was carrying a full length umbrella was asked to check in the umbrella too.

    My guess is that it also depends on your luck. You need to be lucky to meet an easy going guard.
    Last edited by wormz777; 4th November 2004 at 09:06 PM.

  6. #6

    Default

    a small tripod shld snug neatly into a hand lagguage,
    else get a tripod bag for the bigger ones.
    but some airport might have some item length restrictions.
    like Japan. handcarry cannot exceed a certain lenght

    the 190D fits in the limit when ya break up the centre column.

    enjoy.

  7. #7

    Lightbulb

    i do not see a problem even if they want to inspect it and/or want it checked in together with your luggage.

  8. #8

    Default

    i managed to squeeze the sprint mini into the lowepro mini trekker....
    this should be my only hand luggage lor....so i wonder if i put my bag through the Xray machine at the boarding gate, will they rip my tripod out and demand it to be checked in

    very ley chey....because once reaching destination tokyo i will have to wait for the transit flight to fukuoka. the earlier checked in luggage will be transferred automatically...but i scared this last minute tripod (if insisted at the boarding gate to be checked in) will be lost in transit
    Last edited by roidan; 4th November 2004 at 09:21 PM.

  9. #9

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by roidan
    i managed to squeeze the sprint mini into the lowepro mini trekker....
    this should be my only hand luggage lor....so i wonder if i put my bag through the Xray machine at the boarding gate, will they rip my tripod out and demand it to be checked in

    very ley chey....because once reaching destination tokyo i will have to wait for the transit flight to fukuoka. the earlier checked in luggage will be transferred automatically...but i scared this last minute tripod (if insisted at the boarding gate to be checked in) will be lost in transit
    leave it in your checked-in luggage/s.

  10. #10

    Default

    was thinking of using the tripod for group shots will in tokyo waiting 3hrs for the connecting flight to fukuoka....sigh

    seems that can only use the tripod when i get back the checked in luggage at fukuoka then.....

    thanks

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Try handcarry first, if htey don't allow, then check it in. I carry my bigger tripod handcarry all the time, and sometimes in the check in if there is space. No problems sofar, it was the airline staff that asked me what it was, not the security, they just scan it, thats it. Also went to Japan a few times with tripod as handluggage, no questions asked, here and in Japan. Once I had bought several Large Format lenses in Japan and at the okyo airport I had to unpack and let them scan twice as they couldn't tell what it was from the scans :-)

    Hong Sien

  12. #12

    Default

    why would anyone need a tripod during the flight?

  13. #13

    Default

    i think use tripod strap n carry ext should be ok rite?

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popeye
    why would anyone need a tripod during the flight?
    For self-potrait with the air-stewardess? just kidding..hee

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    i wonder if anybody brought a 055 around the world b4...

    just thinking, will they require you to unmount your tripod head as well?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  16. #16

    Default

    it's to take group photos in tokyo airport while waiting 3 hours for the connecting flight to fukuoka...

    reason is if i check in the tripod with the luggage..i will only get to use the tripod in fukuoka and cannot use it while waiting 3hrs in tokyo aiport.

    3hrs in tokyo airport.....that's alot of time to take pictures

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Better check in, get someone to snap for you

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roidan
    it's to take group photos in tokyo airport while waiting 3 hours for the connecting flight to fukuoka...

    reason is if i check in the tripod with the luggage..i will only get to use the tripod in fukuoka and cannot use it while waiting 3hrs in tokyo aiport.

    3hrs in tokyo airport.....that's alot of time to take pictures
    You should be taking photos in Fukuoka airport. XD
    Heard from the air stewardesses on my Japan flights talking about this really pretty girl at the JAL check-in counter at the Fukuoka domestic terminal.
    They say go already sure know which one they referring to one. XD

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    i suggest bringing a ultrapod, den can fix onto the railings or something for group shot.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    You should be taking photos in Fukuoka airport. XD
    Heard from the air stewardesses on my Japan flights talking about this really pretty girl at the JAL check-in counter at the Fukuoka domestic terminal.
    They say go already sure know which one they referring to one. XD
    Girls talking about another girl?........sure they are girls? :-)

    HS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •