Thread: 5 Days Tokyo in late November - What lenses to bring and what to do?

Default 5 Days Tokyo in late November - What lenses to bring and what to do?

I have the following lenses but will probably bring 3 or 4 only (??). Body is Canon FF.

50mm f1.4
    TS-E 24 f3.5
    70-200 f4 IS
    24-105 f4 IS
    100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS
    85 f1.4 HSM
    135 f2
    100 f2.8 Macro IS
    35mm f2 MF ZE

Will be hanging out in Tokyo only. So which is the most useful lens to bring without breaking my back carrying them around?

Default Re: 5 Days Tokyo in late November - What lenses to bring and what to do?

Again.. you gotta ask yourself this question. What do you wish to shoot? After you have answer that question. You will know what to bring.

Default Re: 5 Days Tokyo in late November - What lenses to bring and what to do?

Cityscape. So definitely the TS-E 24.

Is the 70-200 f4 fast enough for people photography?
    Last edited by spike386; 3rd November 2011 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spike386 View Post
    Cityscape. So definitely the TS-E 24.

Is the 70-200 f4 fast enough for people photography?
    There is no real magic answer that fits all situations.

If it's a blazing sun, and it's an old man sleeping on a bench, even a 70-200 F/8 will do.

If it's at night, and you're trying to shoot people performing say, skateboarding tricks. No, 70-200 F/4 will not do.

nobody knows what u like to shoot. so ask yourself and bring the necessary lens will do. if u dun mind the weight, u can bring all your lens just to be safe.

Was wondering that when I am at Harajuku on Sunday, if the 70-200 f4 will allow me to capture the people there from a discreet distance.

Can anyone share what is the best and reasonable mode for mobile communication when in Tokyo?

I'd bring
    24-105/4
    50/1.4

24-105 not too slow, and covers wide to short tele.
    50/1.4 if 24-105 gets too heavy, low light or shallow DOF shots.

I brought only the 18-55mm & 55-200mm kits lens with me when I visited Japan end last year.

Brought tripod along but used only less than 3 times, after that I left it in the hotel room for the rest of my trip. Brought flash but did not use.................

Here are the shots I took. Not sure if its your kind of shoot. Have a look if you have the time > http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-...artian%5D.html

Hope you have a good & enjoyable holiday
    Take the shot!

same timing as me...weather pretty cold i heard...

i only bring my rangefinder there and a few lens with lotsa films....hopefully can find some nice old vintage lens along the way to add on to my load..haha

by e way, its going to be super crowded anywhere u go...so don really need to be too discreet shooting someone..since the places will be flooded w human traffic
    My Blog

Was wondering that when I am at Harajuku on Sunday, if the 70-200 f4 will allow me to capture the people there from a discreet distance.
    Actually.. i think its really hard to answer.. every photographer have their own style and method..way to achieve their shots..instead of wondering.. why not just bring it? Then you will know if you need to bring again next time.. in any case if its too heavy... Keep in the hotel? (if not..just carry along if u are afraid of the safety of hotel).

Blog Entries

I only brought a 16-85mm

I think you can get away with the 24-105mm.

I was just in Tokyo last week. Somewhat sunny but there is a chance of rain. Many days is was overcast. So L lenses makes sense. Also, the fall foliage will be out in full force, so a wide angle would be nice to capture the landscapes in the parks.

Some places were surprisingly dim, like in shady parks, and I had some blurred shots with my 17-40 L, even shooting at ISO400/800. So your 35mm f2 or your 50mm f1.4 would be very handy for street photography or in shady areas. If I had to choose, for a FF, go with the 35mm f2. That can be used for landscapes and street shots very easily.

So, 24-105mm to carry around, 35mm for shady areas and dim days.

I was at Harajuku last Sunday. No. I think you would not easily be able to pick out individuals from a distance. It was crowded. You will more likely need a very fast lens, shooting from less than 3m. It is also quite dim, so a fast lens opened wide, at high shutter speed is recommended. btw. I think a lot of those who dress up really do not mind posing if you ask nicely. It make a better photo as well. So go ahead and ask for a shot if there is one that you really are interested in.

Oh yes.. Just a little gem of advice.. Narita City near the airport, is a gem in itself.

The temple there is majestic and photo-worthy. The park behind the temple is beautiful, with a creek/pond through it. It is especially great when the fall colors arrive. Look online for photos of the park to understand what I am talking about. The street leading to the temple is really nice too.

By train, Narita is the last stop (or so) before the airport.

Also, there is a free bus/coach from the Mercure Hotel at the city center to the Narita airport. It runs about hourly and they do allow non-guests to take it (ask nicely!). Lunch buffet at the hotel is about 1200yen and I think it is pretty popular with the locals. I thought it was very good.

So.. on the way there, you can take the free coach to the hotel, then shoot around Narita, then continue on with a train to Tokyo. It is a bit cheaper than taking the train from the airport. There is both the JR line terminal and the Keisei Line terminal. I recommend taking the limited express from the Keisei Line, it is about 200yen cheaper and just as fast into the city as the JR line.

Or.. on the way back, simple take the train to Narita city, shoot till you are contented, then take the free coach to the airport.

There will be a lot of walking....dont forget you will need to manage your winter jacket, reading material and bottle drink.....so my advice is.....pack the lightest possible you can afford to and enjoy the scenary and chiobus.....I often find my self too intimidated to whip out my camera....it was partly due to crowd and partly due to my laziness

Bring the widest angle lens and a fast lens and you should be able to cover most areas.. If you want to shoot candid or people, use the 135mm.

Last trip to Japan, i only brought the 17-40 and the 135. You can view the photos here --- click here

will choose these 2:

70-200 f4 IS (good if heading to fish market to see Blue Fin Tuna auction)
    24-105 f4 IS (for street).

ur came shouldn't have any problem with ISO.

I have the following lenses but will probably bring 3 or 4 only (??). Body is Canon FF.

50mm f1.4
    TS-E 24 f3.5
    70-200 f4 IS
    24-105 f4 IS
    100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS
    85 f1.4 HSM
    135 f2
    100 f2.8 Macro IS
    35mm f2 MF ZE

Will be hanging out in Tokyo only. So which is the most useful lens to bring without breaking my back carrying them around?