Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

This is the free public viewing platform I've mentioned.

I think it's along the path to the left as you come out of the tram. I went there early and parked my tripods and waited for the light.
    Last edited by Sion; 2nd November 2011 at 09:51 PM.

It really depends on your luck. Most times the place is crowded particularly in the evening before the sunset (morning & noon is ok). Moreover can be quite windy up there. Its hard if not impossible to get an unobstructed view with a tripod. A tripod can really be precarious, more so if its windy & is not advisable as your setup may be sent flying (saw it happened to some guy). Even a gorillapod may be difficult to set up on the glass ledge. Secure the best vantage point on the outer edge, best at the outermost corner, rest the camera on the ledge, brace yourself, supported on your elbows & you should get not only the best view but some fine shots. On the lion pavilion, a public platform further down the slope, you stand a better chance of setting a tripod. Good luck!
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 5th November 2011 at 12:38 PM.

wah, thanks for all the advices guys!

appreciate it and i decided to leave the tripod at home.

just see what i can get huh.. back to packing!

get yourself a carbon fibre tripod (which is light and sturdy) for long term investment - it will only cost u $200-$300+ but u can use it for quite long, i bet your current tripod is too heavy and u seldom use it anyway.

i wun recommend u to put your camera on the ledge (u cannot tilt downwards), the excitement of those tourists or heavy wind might just cause your camera tumbling down the peak.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    get yourself a carbon fibre tripod (which is light and sturdy) for long term investment - it will only cost u $200-$300+ but u can use it for quite long, i bet your current tripod is too heavy and u seldom use it anyway.

i wun recommend u to put your camera on the ledge (u cannot tilt downwards), the excitement of those tourists or heavy wind might just cause your camera tumbling down the peak.
    my sirui r1204 is a carbon fibre one and i use it frequently, only weights a lil' over 1kg with the k10x ballhead.

but the thing is there is not much chances for landscaping as the itinerary is planned more for streets. although the tripod is light but it physically still takes up some space plus i am gonna go with my 8MDH which in turn will translate to carrying another tripod bag(usually i strap the tripod to my fastpack). i find backpack a bit troublesome for travelling because i cannot access my stuffs easily like using a sling bag, hence i decided to leave the fastpack at home too.

yeah, i will take note about the ledge, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000 View Post

might be difficult to clamp a gorilla pod there
    if it's very crowded, there's going to be lots of people jostling around--whenever someone leans against the supporting metal ledge in this picture, your gorilla pod (clamped onto it) is going to shake. on the other hand, the glass here won't be jostled by people though, but it might shake in the wind. you might still get a few shots, though, but probably not at the very slow shutter speeds (e.g. 1-2 seconds).

Yup, the ledges there are no good to put Cam on it. It's not flat.

If u still want to bring tripod, I can suggest take the shots inside the PEAK building. I rem u r able to see the outside view from the building inside. All u need is a CPL filter to take out the glass reflections.

If this is true, then it's the best spot for u, without wind or ppl bumping into yr tripod.

Blog Entries

It's thrusday!!! Enjoy your trip there! Have fun. =)

Am going there too in dec haha..'

Btw mind if I ask? What lens are you bringing there??
    Last edited by luckyorange; 3rd November 2011 at 09:45 AM.
    Lousy de My Flickr

I'm going to HK on the 10th Nov also. and I'm also considering not bringing my tripod. probably going to get a gorrilapod there also.

Hi bros, i am based in HK now.. Can tell u bout the peak. Like one bro mentioned, u can go to the Madam Tussuad Museum level, find the toilet, and there is an exit there. Outside the exit is a ledge where u can rest your cam to shoot a great view. Very little people there as it is very secluded. however, must use a mid zoom to get the view. good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12