Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

  1. #1

    Default Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    hi all, just a quick qn for those who went to victoria peak before.

    i gonna fly off to HK on thurs for holidays and will be visiting the peak for the first time.

    till now, i am still wondering whether should i bring my tripod along as i don't foresee myself doing long exposure all night long because this is not a photography trip, just a regular family vacation.

    so, i just wanna know if there is any form of ledge at the peak where i can rest my camera(7D + 10-22) on and snap a few shots? i have heard about the great view from the peak and i don't quite wanna miss it but at the same time, i wanna keep my luggage free from unwanted weight as well.

    any views on this? thanks.

    PS: not sure if this is the correct section to post in or not, sorry.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    Bring a gorillapod instead.
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    hi all, just a quick qn for those who went to victoria peak before.

    i gonna fly off to HK on thurs for holidays and will be visiting the peak for the first time.

    till now, i am still wondering whether should i bring my tripod along as i don't foresee myself doing long exposure all night long because this is not a photography trip, just a regular family vacation.

    so, i just wanna know if there is any form of ledge at the peak where i can rest my camera(7D + 10-22) on and snap a few shots? i have heard about the great view from the peak and i don't quite wanna miss it but at the same time, i wanna keep my luggage free from unwanted weight as well.

    any views on this? thanks.

    PS: not sure if this is the correct section to post in or not, sorry.
    I think you can do that on the ledge on the public viewing platform.

    I was there several times. Normally if you are there towards the end and early of the year the view is rather misty from the peak. And this was the only time the sky was clear. I saw the opportunity from a 42 floor apartment in Tsim Sha Tsui and picked the tripods and rushed up the peak:

    Last edited by Sion; 1st November 2011 at 11:32 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Bring a gorillapod instead.
    Damn! I don't have one! Any idea if I can get it cheap in HK?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I think you can do that on the ledge on the public viewing platform.

    I was there several times. Normally if you are there towards the end and early of the year the view is rather misty from the peak. And this was the only time the sky was clear. I saw the opportunity from a 42 floor apartment in Tsim Sha Tsui and picked the tripods and rushed up the peak:

    Means it will be quite misty at this time of the year. I just Google ard and found that the public viewing area has kind of a ledge, is that the one you referring to?

    I'm more on not bringing my tripod as I'll be walking the streets for the whole day then adjourn to the peak at night. Bring the tripod around the whole day is kinda troublesome.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    gorillapods should be cheap there, yeah.
    Alpha

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    Damn! I don't have one! Any idea if I can get it cheap in HK?



    Means it will be quite misty at this time of the year. I just Google ard and found that the public viewing area has kind of a ledge, is that the one you referring to?

    I'm more on not bringing my tripod as I'll be walking the streets for the whole day then adjourn to the peak at night. Bring the tripod around the whole day is kinda troublesome.
    Where will you be staying? You probably could get a cheap gorillapod in Mongkok or Sham Shui Poh. Should get it and try it on in Singapore to save time hunting around in HK.

    Be careful about using the ledge. Once your camera falls down you may not see it again. Use camera strap just in case.

    Early November is not too bad. You should get some fine clear days.

    Enjoy your trip.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    I was in Hong Kong (I think in 2009). I remember there was a ledge there (at Victoria peak). No problems taking night shots of the city (back then, my camera was a Canon A620 at ISO200 or 400, also used a borrowed Olympus E1 at I think ISO800 or 1600). The slight problem of the ledge is that if you place your camera flat on the ledge, the horizon won't be flat, and you'll likely wish to point the camera a bit downwards. If you have some sort of support it would help.

    On the other hand...
    if you wish to take the light-show at the harbor, you might want to get a tripod (it was crowded when I was there). i didn't get any shots then as ISO400 was the max my A620 could go.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    gorillapods should be cheap there, yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Where will you be staying? You probably could get a cheap gorillapod in Mongkok or Sham Shui Poh. Should get it and try it on in Singapore to save time hunting around in HK.

    Be careful about using the ledge. Once your camera falls down you may not see it again. Use camera strap just in case.

    Early November is not too bad. You should get some fine clear days.

    Enjoy your trip.
    no issue with finding as i will be buying a lens before i head off to the peak.

    haha, i will strap the camera to my neck, i see it's a long way down man.

    hopefully the view will be ok man, thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
    I was in Hong Kong (I think in 2009). I remember there was a ledge there (at Victoria peak). No problems taking night shots of the city (back then, my camera was a Canon A620 at ISO200 or 400, also used a borrowed Olympus E1 at I think ISO800 or 1600). The slight problem of the ledge is that if you place your camera flat on the ledge, the horizon won't be flat, and you'll likely wish to point the camera a bit downwards. If you have some sort of support it would help.

    On the other hand...
    if you wish to take the light-show at the harbor, you might want to get a tripod (it was crowded when I was there). i didn't get any shots then as ISO400 was the max my A620 could go.
    i think i will go search for a gorillapod in the afternoon first.

    well if i can't find any, then i just make do with what i have.

    not sure where the harbour is but i think i'll just find a way to make things work.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    I was at Peak in Sep. Yes, Gorillapod would be best. Buy one at DC Camera @ Sim City, Mongkok......best price in HK. Don't go to camera shops you find at street level....price 20% more. If u getting lens there, get one for me as well; I pay u first.

  10. #10
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    hi all, just a quick qn for those who went to victoria peak before.

    i gonna fly off to HK on thurs for holidays and will be visiting the peak for the first time.

    till now, i am still wondering whether should i bring my tripod along as i don't foresee myself doing long exposure all night long because this is not a photography trip, just a regular family vacation.

    so, i just wanna know if there is any form of ledge at the peak where i can rest my camera(7D + 10-22) on and snap a few shots? i have heard about the great view from the peak and i don't quite wanna miss it but at the same time, i wanna keep my luggage free from unwanted weight as well.

    any views on this? thanks.

    PS: not sure if this is the correct section to post in or not, sorry.
    The peak is usually packed with people and tripods around dinner time. The last i went after dinner I was very lucky to squeeze a spot for my tripod. The ledge is a piece of thick ?glass/plastic and then an inner metal railing. The last I placed my tripod I had to slant it towards the outside so that my frame does not catch the glass/plastic wall, in case you are using a wide angle lens. For convienence, a gorillapod should be able to fix on the metal railing. I saw a fella using a bean bag the last time I was there, to somewhat rest his camera for long exposures, not sure how successful it went cause it was rather windy then.

    Ryan

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,444

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    no issue with finding as i will be buying a lens before i head off to the peak.

    haha, i will strap the camera to my neck, i see it's a long way down man.

    hopefully the view will be ok man, thanks!



    i think i will go search for a gorillapod in the afternoon first.

    well if i can't find any, then i just make do with what i have.

    not sure where the harbour is but i think i'll just find a way to make things work.
    Just bring a bean bag just in case you can't find the gorillapod you wanted...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  12. #12
    Member hkingx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore. North/East
    Posts
    634

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    Yes, Gorillapod will be the best for victoria peak, tripod wont be very useful unless you has really a high and stable tripod, the wind are very STRONG at victoria peak,
    You’ve got to push yourself harder.

  13. #13
    Member motionstills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Middle East SG
    Posts
    1,749

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    My wife and i take turn to be each others "tripod" by resting camera on our shoulder or upper back, works very well esp in places where tripod is not allowed or obstructive, u can try
    Last edited by motionstills; 2nd November 2011 at 09:18 AM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    There is a railing at the Peak, where most people go... But I cannot remember if you can afford to put a Gorillapod on it. My sense is that you would probably want to gain more height, so a tripod is still my best suggestion. That said, it can get crowded around the light show timing in my memory... The last time I was there at the Peak I had people jostling and nudging my tripod a little at times, that's something you can take into consideration.

    You can always up your ISO and shoot handheld..

  15. #15
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    Quote Originally Posted by motionstills View Post
    My wife and i take turn to be each others "tripod" by resting camera on our shoulder or upper back, works very well esp in places where tripod is not allowed or obstructive, u can try
    This would definitely not work for anything more than say, 4 seconds.

  16. #16

    Default

    Depends on your luck, I was there last December, the entire 4 days I'm was traveling there was misty.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  17. #17

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    gorilla pod may be too small ... i bring my free tripod when overseas.
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

  18. #18

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    i remember 3 places where i could take photos from...
    (1) the usual place where all the tourists are. there's a railing, but with many people at the railing, I'm wondering if the railing could "shake" back and forth a bit.
    (2) i think on the way down, we went to the washrooms, there was a stone/brick wall where you could place your camera.
    (3) on the right of the building, there's some grass beside the road where people (who didn't pay to go in) could have a view of the city, that is not covered by trees... no place to put your camera, and putting your camera on the grass would be too low, hence need a tall tripod here (or just take the photo handheld).

    this was in 2009 I think... not sure if things have changed since then.

    and yes, it can be quite windy (forget about flimsy tripods that shake in the wind).

  19. #19

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...

    Just to check, how much will a gorilla pod cost in HK?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Victoria peak, hong kong, tripod question...



    might be difficult to clamp a gorilla pod there
    D3100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •