Thread: Trying to take sharp shot of water droplet

Default Trying to take sharp shot of water droplet

Hi guys, I was trying to take my 2yrs old boy showering at the zoo outdoor water park(hot sunny day) with those round round water droplet splashing onto his body but it just dont works. I'm using a 5dii with 24-70 (i tired using AI servo but still no use) Do i need to buy a Marco len to take those kind of effect or is wrong setting?
    Really appreciate if you can help.

Thank you.

Default Re: Trying to take sharp shot of water droplet

don't work as in shutter speed too slow? try 1/500s and above.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by crusader View Post
    Hi guys, I was trying to take my 2yrs old boy showering at the zoo outdoor water park(hot sunny day) with those round round water droplet splashing onto his body but it just dont works. I'm using a 5dii with 24-70 (i tired using AI servo but still no use) Do i need to buy a Marco len to take those kind of effect or is wrong setting?

Thank you.
    AI servo is for autofocusing. Nothing to do with freezing the droplet. There is no "Marco len" unless it's some weird fruit Marco Polo picked up on his travels - it's called a "macro lens". Macro is for very close-up pictures of small objects - again, not what we are talking about, unless your son is the size of a small insect.

I really suggest you learn more about the basics, such as shutter speed. Your camera manual describes what it does, as do a huge number of online tutorials, even youtube videos and the clubsnap stickies in the newbies corner. Would you have researched the terms such as "ai-servo", etc, you would have seen that there is no logical correlation.
    Alpha

Thank you.

Can provide more information? What didn't work? Did the water droplet blurred... very difficult to focus or what? And if can... please provide a photo so that we can better see what actually went wrong.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Blog Entries

can u post photo...... if u no photo we cant do anything also
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 1st November 2011 at 10:25 AM.

Blog Entries

did u mean something like this, just that not flour, but water...

Quote Originally Posted by crusader

Thank you.
    U mean like in bugis junction, where kids are playing with the water spouts ??

Shutter speed, bro. Adjust shutter speed....

Use Tv mode to adjust to a faster shutter speed.
    Last edited by huatman; 1st November 2011 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by huatman View Post
    Use Av mode to adjust to a faster shutter speed.
    Uhm. Please re-read your manual... Look at what Av mode refers to...
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae

Uhm. Please re-read your manual... Look at what Av mode refers to...
    I mean Tv, typo error.

Hahaha, thank you for all the input. I will try to increase the Shutter speed first. As for picture, i deleted almost all of them coz I can't get those result I want.
    Bro Rhino, i tink you know wat i wan. Yeah, those droplet are not 'sharp' and is blur like wat u hv mention.
    Thank you Donut88, i will try it out.
    Hope to see some guru sharing 'sharp' rain drop photo.

TIA

Hahaha, thank you for all the input. I will try to increase the Shutter speed first. As for picture, i deleted almost all of them coz I can't get those result I want.
    Bro Rhino, i tink you know wat i wan. Yeah, those droplet are not 'sharp' and is blur like wat u hv mention.

TIA
    Click here:

How to shoot water droplets
    Alpha

TIA
    It is best to keep one or two photos to share so that it is clearer what you are talking about... With EXIF intact of course.

It does sound to me that it is a shutter speed problem, but it's hard to say - if you are using a shallow DOF you might not get the droplets sharp enough for your liking even with a decent shutter speed.

Keep shutter speed up to 'freeze' action. In this case, to capture the water droplets. However there is a catch here.

None of us know what is the condition when you took the photos. Sometime it is not possible to rise the shutter speed high enough because of bad lighting. And sometime blur might be cause by motions of your hands. Thus without any photos, it is really difficult to see what actually went wrong. But since you have already deleted most of the photos, I guess we can only try by telling you that you need to up your shutter speed (which of course might not be true).

This is also why I asked what actually went wrong with your pic in the first place, because it might be the following,

1) Wrong technique
    2) environment (lighting)
    3) Aperture and shutter speed

What I can think of is... if you find that you cannot up your shutter speed enough, maybe you should also raise your ISO too...
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Dude, you will need a faster shutter speed but before that............. why are you taking other people showering?!?!???!??? Even if he is your own son. Give him some privacy. hahaha.

Fast len and shuttle speed. After the shot, hook your cam in your messanger bag like a pistol. F-stop not too low, otherwise everything will bokeh.

Peninsular Plaza. Sorry. Can't help it.
    Last edited by digitalpimp; 8th November 2011 at 04:04 PM.