Thread: Speed cameras

Cons digger.

Default Speed cameras

I was just wondering how the traffic police actually capture those speeding cars, especially at night.To capture fast objects without flash (those hidden cameras), we need a large aperture in order for a fast shutter speed to see the license plate clearly.

Large aperture especially if they are using a long focal length to capture you far far away will result in a super shallow DOF.

Also the headlights will also be glaring at the lens.. mm. so.. how did they do it?

Anyone tried any thing similar?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Singapore & Hong Kong

Oh, they do have flash.

Notice that there are always 2 device. One with a 6-square opening and another is a round opening.

I am not sure which is for the flash and the picture. But I have seen it in action at night.

And when triggered it will take 2 photo, the flash is bright green in color. Like a laser show....

the one I saw in Taipei , has a white flash - like the conventional flash light.

Heard that the new generation of speed device uses infra-red flash which is invicible to the eyes....

so, if you are beating red lights and saw two simultaneous flashes of light, you can almost be sure that your car has been photographed.
    Last edited by reachme2003; 3rd November 2004 at 05:58 PM.

There are the yellow boxes near the traffic lights, and the black ones on the side of the roads. I'll take photographs of them next time

Hmmm... if I put my speedlite on optical slave mode, U think it'll work?

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Hmmm... if I put my speedlite on optical slave mode, U think it'll work?
    I thought I like all cameras. This thread makes me remember that I hate speed cameras... Don't make it work.