Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion matters. Ricoh GXR vs. Olympus EP-3 vs. Fujifilm X100

Default Re: Your opinion matters. Ricoh GXR vs. Olympus EP-3 vs. Fujifilm X100

Quote Originally Posted by 5paws View Post
    Poor value or not is really a relative measure of one's disposal income, I guess.
    It's true that people choose to get products that don't seem to offer much value. That's a valid point, and I think we can all agree with the statement that sometimes, we buy things just because we like them, not because of the inherent value.

The statement above is ridiculous. Poor value is poor value, if someone sells a broken camera for $99 million and Bill Gates buys it, and prances around saying that it's less than his private jumbo jet monthly installment, it doesn't change the fact that it is a bloody bad buy for $99 million - whether or not he can afford it or whether he wallows in gold, etc.

I suspect you are just taking the opportunity to either troll to get a few laughs, or you really have an attitude issue - in which case, I would suggest a little humility. Cheers.

If the X100 was a dollar, even if it was GBP1, then that's mighty good value for ANY camera. Please my friend, you are not making economic sense again.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    This is a photography forum, is it not? Or was it an english language forum? What is my grammer got to do with anything?

Plus... so what if my english sucks... does that means I cannot be financially capable of getting 100 cameras? And you are missing my point... for goodness sake, what I am saying is... even if the X100 is only S$1, I will not get it... Value is a very subjective matter, to me X100 is not of good value... it doesn't suit me and my style, and thats it. To others, it might be a godsent. I respect that.

And I think it would be good for you to start respecting other people too.

This is a photography forum, is it not? Or was it an english language forum? What is my grammer got to do with anything?

Plus... so what if my english sucks... does that means I cannot be financially capable of getting 100 cameras? And you are missing my point... for goodness sake, what I am saying is... even if the X100 is only S$1, I will not get it... Value is a very subjective matter, to me X100 is not of good value... it doesn't suit me and my style, and thats it. To others, it might be a godsent. I respect that.

And I think it would be good for you to start respecting other people too.
    Ha.. ha.. to him, this is not a photo forum. Its a to show off got $$$ and england very good forum.

I don't even want to reply to his trolling anymore, cause I think ppl can see his reply and make up their own minds on whether the fella gives good advice or not.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 18th November 2011 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Ha.. ha.. to him, this is not a photo forum. Its a to show off got $$$ and england very good forum.

I don't even want to reply to his trolling anymore, cause I think ppl can see his reply and make up their own minds on whether the fella gives good advice or not.
    Yeah, agreed with you. I don't know why I even bother trying to reply to his trolling. He either purposely swerve from what I am trying to say or he is geniuely not understanding simple logics.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Again, another member that does not make economic sense. Why would Bill Gates want to pay $99 million for a broken camera? You are insulting the intelligence of one of the greatest minds of this generation.
    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    It's true that people choose to get products that don't seem to offer much value. That's a valid point, and I think we can all agree with the statement that sometimes, we buy things just because we like them, not because of the inherent value.

The statement above is ridiculous. Poor value is poor value, if someone sells a broken camera for $99 million and Bill Gates buys it, and prances around saying that it's less than his private jumbo jet monthly installment, it doesn't change the fact that it is a bloody bad buy for $99 million - whether or not he can afford it or whether he wallows in gold, etc.

I suspect you are just taking the opportunity to either troll to get a few laughs, or you really have an attitude issue - in which case, I would suggest a little humility. Cheers.

I own both GXR and X100. Both have its pros and cons.

GRX: 28mm module
    Have the options of changing modules. (so 10yrs down the road The GRX won’t become a junk, jus get a new module and u got the latest sensor and technology)
    With the new M mount choices of lens widely increase.
    Have finger grip so easier to hold. When walking around. (I hate hanging cams over my neck or shoulder prefer to hold them in my hand ready to fire)
    Small and compact.
    Good ISO but X100 better.
    90% of the buttons can be personalize to you shooting needs
    IQ good not bad but X100 better (not sure if the rest are better or worst but with the M mount u can use better lens)
    Love the battery life.

X100
    Range finder lets you have a different shooting experience.
    Fixed lens so not much flexibility. (Fixed lens have its pros and cons too)
    Love the IQ
    Great ISO… can ALMOST be on par with D700
    No finger grip.
    Not as small as GRX but looks better then GRX
    Will need a spare batt.
    Personally I don like the manual focusing.
    Its has macro modes, but tends to be a hunter now and then in that mode.

It boils down to what you really need at the end.

Again, another member that does not make economic sense. Why would Bill Gates want to pay $99 million for a broken camera? You are insulting the intelligence of one of the greatest minds of this generation.
    Because he likes what.

You had already pointed out that you buy a Maserati despite it not offering as much value as another car - I'm just pushing your example further to highlight your self-contradictions.

By the way, no economist is going to make such ridiculous statements like you have done, so I suspect you are just mouthing off to troll and ride on a high horse to let everyone think that you are very well versed in economic theory/economics. I assure you that you have failed utterly in making that impression. Have a good day.

Well, to me it's only $1600. Heck, that's even less than my monthly car loan and I don't have to scrap it after ten years. Poor value or not is really a relative measure of one's disposal income, I guess.
    Really flawed logic you have.
    Maybe I could try selling you a plate of chicken rice at a hawker centre for $20, and you'd still buy it, since it costs a mere fraction of what your camera or car costs, or what your disposal income is
    Exploring! :)

Yeah, agreed with you. I don't know why I even bother trying to reply to his trolling. He either purposely swerve from what I am trying to say or he is geniuely not understanding simple logics.
    He's just using it as a channel to boast that "I have _____ and ______ ..."

If I have failed to make an impression, then your multiple replies to my quotes proves otherwise. Please make an effort to understand consumer theory before making foolish statements like that. A Maserati is a superior good, a luxury good. As income rises, so does purchasing power. Now, of course there are cars that can go faster than mine. Slapping a big turbo and taking out the rear seats and spare tyre of a Proton Wira is one way to do it. Would you honestly profess to the world that they are better than a purebred Italina supercar? So why do Italian Supercars like Ferraris and Maseratis command such a premium? If you understand Consumer Theory, then you would not have rebutted with such an absurd retort. You have a nice day yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Because he likes what.

You had already pointed out that you buy a Maserati despite it not offering as much value as another car - I'm just pushing your example further to highlight your self-contradictions.

By the way, no economist is going to make such ridiculous statements like you have done, so I suspect you are just mouthing off to troll and ride on a high horse to let everyone think that you are very well versed in economic theory/economics. I assure you that you have failed utterly in making that impression. Have a good day.

Sure you could. Restaurant in 5 star hotels charge that price. Chatterbox at Mandarin Hotel is one example. People still patronise them. I do all the time. Why? Because we can afford to. Again, another flawed rebuttal. Please try harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Really flawed logic you have.
    Maybe I could try selling you a plate of chicken rice at a hawker centre for $20, and you'd still buy it, since it costs a mere fraction of what your camera or car costs, or what your disposal income is

Boasting behind a pseudonym does nothing for my ego, if that's what you are trying to insinuate. I am just using what I have as an example.
    He's just using it as a channel to boast that "I have _____ and ______ ..."

If I have failed to make an impression, then your multiple replies to my quotes proves otherwise. Please make an effort to understand consumer theory before making foolish statements like that. A Maserati is a superior good, a luxury good. As income rises, so does purchasing power. Now, of course there are cars that can go faster than mine. Slapping a big turbo and taking out the rear seats and spare tyre of a Proton Wira is one way to do it. Would you honestly profess to the world that they are better than a purebred Italina supercar? So why do Italian Supercars like Ferraris and Maseratis command such a premium? If you understand Consumer Theory, then you would not have rebutted with such an absurd retort. You have a nice day yourself.
    Veblen good - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by edutilos-; 18th November 2011 at 09:40 PM.

We should just leave him alone. Difficult to argue with someone who thinks $600,000 is peanuts.
    Too bad he can afford and we cannot... He has the financial resource to overcome mistakes; we have none.

Sure you could. Restaurant in 5 star hotels charge that price. Chatterbox at Mandarin Hotel is one example. People still patronise them. I do all the time. Why? Because we can afford to. Again, another flawed rebuttal. Please try harder.
    I specifically mentioned hawker centre, and you brought up Chatterbox.
    For someone with such financial means, you sure don't read too well

And what is an "Italina supercar" anyway?
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 18th November 2011 at 10:32 PM.

this isn't a discussion about money, economics or conspicuous consumption. its a discussion on cameras.

its also not abt who has the most money to buy the most expensive camera. its about buying something that suits one's needs with the budget that one is comfortable with.

i considered the X100 and the GXR. i chose the GXR for its handling.

i liked the X100's hybrid VF but i found the handling awkward.

the cost isn't an issue to me but value matters.

so all things considered, i found the handling of the GXR superior and i can customise the body with the module that i need and take nice pictures with it. i love the S10, A12 28mm and A12 50mm modules and use them interchangeably. such choices are also not available with the X100.

all the GXR modules + EVF taken together, would cost more than the X100. but imho, its better value.

Sorry, I do not eat in Hawker Centres much. I apologise that when it comes to food, I generally look for places with air conditioning, so naturally, I referred to Chatterbox's chicken rice. My bad. For someone who seems to be able to pick up the difference between Chatterbox and Hawker Centres with such ease, I am amazed that you are unable to decipher a typographical error.
    I specifically mentioned hawker centre, and you brought up Chatterbox.
    For someone with such financial means, you sure don't read too well

And what is an "Italina supercar" anyway?

Haha lame comeback

Anyway we were attempting to explain how value has little to do with earning power, before we got "chatterboxed".

Since that name was brought up... if say the hotel opposite the road (not any more luxurious nor exclusive) came along and decided to charge 50% more than Chatterbox for basically serving the same dish, that would be deemed poor value regardless of whether you earned 80 thousand a year or 80 million a year.

That's basically the point that was being made about the X100 before all the nonsense about earning and spending power got tossed about.

back to the topic please. the next troll will get a nice holiday away from CS.
    sigh.

You call it nonsense but you can substantiate your claims with nothing but fowl and grain. Sigh, the quality of of the intelligence of some people here.
    Haha lame comeback

Anyway we were attempting to explain how value has little to do with earning power, before we got "chatterboxed".

Since that name was brought up... if say the hotel opposite the road (not any more luxurious nor exclusive) came along and decided to charge 50% more than Chatterbox for basically serving the same dish, that would be deemed poor value regardless of whether you earned 80 thousand a year or 80 million a year.

That's basically the point that was being made about the X100 before all the nonsense about earning and spending power got tossed about.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast