Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion matters. Ricoh GXR vs. Olympus EP-3 vs. Fujifilm X100

Default Re: Your opinion matters. Ricoh GXR vs. Olympus EP-3 vs. Fujifilm X100

Quote Originally Posted by sanfong View Post
    As one of the cser shared its not available for M-mount module. Yes you are right that you need to develop the habit to judge the distance. I always set 1.5m on my GRD III and will adjust accordingly to my judgement between the cam and subject. For GRD III has 1m, 1.5m 2.5m and infinity. But it will get tricky when using large aperture. Its not difficult to change the focal distance as it require one hand operation without digging into menus.
    Hmm. Do you miss alot of shot with this method? This will be in manual mode right?

I would get the GXR with the A12 28mm f2.5 . Don't buy the M-Mount first.

The brain tells me Olympus EP-3.
    The heart tells me Ricoh GXR with A12 28mm.

But must try x100 and ep-3 first.

Ricoh GXR with A12 28mm module feels like your using small sized - DSLR good for daily use, but I find the focusing is a bit slow and images are less sharp and less contrast compared to DSLR but definitively better that E-PL1 and GF-1 (which I have tried and compared). Ricoh GXR with A12 50mm is really good for macro shots sharp and contrasty but its not for shooting moving insects since focusing is also slower than A12 28mm. Ricoh GXR with M-Mount totally rocks! It made me like manual and classic lenses. I find focusing faster with M-Mount compared to the two A12 modules, maybe my eyes and fingers are faster than AF processors.. hahaha. GXR handling feels right and feels good. With Leica lens attached to it for M-Mount , it feels like your using Leica camera, as they say it's poor mans Leica.
    Treat life like a photography: capture every moment; enjoy each shot; don't miss a frame.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoBees View Post
    With Leica lens attached to it for M-Mount , it feels like your using Leica camera, as they say it's poor mans Leica.
    If you can afford a Leica lens to attach to the M-mount, then you are not poor.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    If you can afford a Leica lens to attach to the M-mount, then you are not poor.
    haha figure of speech
    Just like Volkswagen (or maybe that should now be "reich volks wagen" with current prices) is sometimes referred to as the "poor man's Audi".
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by sanfong View Post
    Square format.
    Quote Originally Posted by watzzup View Post
    Hmm. Do you miss alot of shot with this method? This will be in manual mode right?
    I would get the GXR with the A12 28mm f2.5 . Don't buy the M-Mount first.
    Snap definately can be use in any creative modes except scene modes (i guess cos never try scene mode before)

For my experience with GR Digital cameras there are shutter lag. I guess its the same problem face for camera using the lcd to frame shots. Unlike DSLR, which has optical viewfinder and faster fps. I'm not sure does GXR n 4/3 cam.. But its a matter of getting to know your equipment so that to minimise missing opportunities. And also learn to anticipate when doing streets photography.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoBees View Post
    Ricoh GXR with A12 28mm module feels like your using small sized - DSLR good for daily use, but I find the focusing is a bit slow and images are less sharp and less contrast compared to DSLR but definitively better that E-PL1 and GF-1 (which I have tried and compared). Ricoh GXR with A12 50mm is really good for macro shots sharp and contrasty but its not for shooting moving insects since focusing is also slower than A12 28mm. Ricoh GXR with M-Mount totally rocks! It made me like manual and classic lenses. I find focusing faster with M-Mount compared to the two A12 modules, maybe my eyes and fingers are faster than AF processors.. hahaha. GXR handling feels right and feels good. With Leica lens attached to it for M-Mount , it feels like your using Leica camera, as they say it's poor mans Leica.
    Wow, thank you for this info.

Thank you all those who have shared their opinions and views.
    I think most likely i'd go for the olympus ep-3 first for the kind of street shooting that i want to try.

Thanks again for sharing.

Now, time to jump to m4/3 forum to find out more about the lens,

i one the x100, and I just got my GRX A12 M .

I wrote some of my first impressions here ( also wanted to post this under reviews, but somehow my post got lost)

I would love to post a link to the first sample pics , but this forum does not allow me to do so.
    So, please look for my name on Flickr

Ricoh A12 M mini review

The poor mans Leica ?

Ever since the first new generation rangefinder cameras appeared on the market, I was very interested. The idea of traveling light, not carrying my D700 + 3 kg of glass in a backpack sounded great.
    But , am I getting the same quality ? That was always my question.
    My first attempt failed . I bought a Sony Nex-3 , right when it came out.
    I attached a Voigtlander 15mm Super Heliar on a Leica M Mount Adapter.
    Would this be the “poor mans leica” .
    I might be able to afford a leica , if I would have saved all my money that I paid on various cameras , but …I always thought , there must be a better solution .
    After playing around with the Nex, I finally gave up. The quality was just not up to my expectations. Aside form the annoying “ amateur type” menus, the strong color cast in the corners where the biggest trouble. You can always fix this with corner fix, but there is a loss of sharpness and details after doing so.
    In the meantime , I also bought a Fuji X100 , which is a great camera. But the fixed wide angle lens gave me many limitations.

So, when the Ricoh A12 M Mount came out, I was very interested.
    I finally decided to spent the 1500 Sg$ for the kit , including the viewfinder, and I added a Voigtlander Nokton 40/1.4 . Everything together cost me a little above 2000 SG$ …1/5 of the price if I compare this with a similar Leica Kit. Yes, of course, the Leica has 18 mega pixels and a full frame sensor. But hunting for megapixels was never my thing. I still shoot with my 10 year old Nikon D1x , 5.3 megapixel, and the quality is often sufficient for nice prints.

The thighs I immediately liked about the ricoh where;
    1) Raw files are stored in Adobe DNG …wow, that’s great. Finally some followed an international standard , and did not create RAW format no. 137.
    2) I can create a lens profile in the camera, which is stored in the DNG file. So I always know which lens I used, and I can apply my Adobe Raw profiles…that saves a lot of manual work.
    3) I have a Leica M Mount, no adapter needed.
    4) The menus are more professional , means I can program almost every button with the function I want. Without going to any menu, I can adjust exposure, ISO, bring up a focus assistant , and much more. Great
    5) The camera feels solid and stable. All metal, no plastic
    6) When you change the lens, the shutter is closed to protect the sensor from dust ( wow, some designer was really smart here)
    7) The focus assistant is fantastic. I read other reviews , and people where complaining abut this feature, but for me , it works great.

So, I was happy with the features , the hard and software and the handling, but what about the image quality.
    My biggest NEX problem, the color cast , was gone. Only when shooting under artificial light , you can see a bit color coast form time to time, but it is very little, and it only appears under certain type of artificial light with the Voigtlander Ultra Wide Heliar 12mm. The Super Heliar 15mm and the Nokton 40mm are fine.
    I did some sharpness and resolution test with the Nokton, and the lens is a perfect fit to the Ricoh . The lens resolution is far better than the maximum theoretical sensor resolution of 90 lp/mm . There is no noticeable difference in sharpness between the center and the corners, not even at 400% enlargement.
    The nokton might not be as razor sharp as the Zeiss Planar , which I have on my D700, but it is certainly not far behind the Zeiss.

So, is this be the poor mans Leica ?
    I would say , yes, this is as good as it can get , If you don’t want to spend 10K$

I will post some sample shoots and more details here, as soon as the weather gets better and I find some time.

To all of you that complain that the X100 is too expensive: Don't hate the camera cos you guys are too broke to afford it. It's not even half the price of my M9P and D3X.

To all of you that complain that the X100 is a fixed lens camera: So what? Just shoot within the camera's zoom range. Don't hate the camera for your incompetence.

To all of you that complain about the X100' slow AF - Yes I hear you. It's slow, so what? A little more patience and a little more anticipation never killed anyone.

To all of you that complain that the X100's sensor is a 1.5x APS-C - Try hitting the same low noise level with your puny micro 4/3 camera at ISO3200.

Quit whining and just get the camera that suits you best. You guys make me sick.

Haha... Relek la...
    X100 is a great cam. Btw cams r jus a tool. The art of using it can make alot of diff no matter the cam.
    When the shooting gets tough, the tough gets shooting.

To me, the perfect camera doesnt exist. It s all anout personal preference. One man s meat is another s poison.
    Jus find the type that u like, may it b a ff, crop dslr, m43, compact or a x100 n appreciate it. Till then, try it out. My advise is patience. Finding the right format takes times. Look for good 2nd deals n buy to try out. If dun like can sell for same price/minimal lost. Then when u found the one u like, u can choose to invest.
    When the shooting gets tough, the tough gets shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by 5paws View Post
    To all of you that complain that the X100 is too expensive: Don't hate the camera cos you guys are too broke to afford it. It's not even half the price of my M9P and D3X.

To all of you that complain that the X100 is a fixed lens camera: So what? Just shoot within the camera's zoom range. Don't hate the camera for your incompetence.

To all of you that complain about the X100' slow AF - Yes I hear you. It's slow, so what? A little more patience and a little more anticipation never killed anyone.

To all of you that complain that the X100's sensor is a 1.5x APS-C - Try hitting the same low noise level with your puny micro 4/3 camera at ISO3200.

Quit whining and just get the camera that suits you best. You guys make me sick.
    Pay $1600 for all this?
    Come on!
    1st post here and I don't see why you need to be so angry.

I don't see any hate for this camera, just see poor value from my pov
    Last edited by pinholecam; 18th November 2011 at 10:17 AM.

Well, to me it's only $1600. Heck, that's even less than my monthly car loan and I don't have to scrap it after ten years. Poor value or not is really a relative measure of one's disposal income, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Pay $1600 for all this?
    Come on!
    1st post here and I don't see why you need to be so angry.

I don't see any hate for this camera, just see poor value from my pov

Quote Originally Posted by 5paws

Well, to me it's only $1600. Heck, that's even less than my monthly car loan and I don't have to scrap it after ten years. Poor value or not is really a relative measure of one's disposal income, I guess.
    Well, it is not the money, value is subjective. I might find that the camera is seriously not very value for money, and that is me. Your first post is very very offensive.

Plus it is your opinion that X100 is good value for what it is worth, but to others, it simply isn't. There really is uncalled for saying what you have just written. Everyone had their own measures.

(note: S$1600 is nothing, I can buy more than 100 of it if I want... but I will not. And even if it is only S$1, I will not buy it... Plus I think everyone had their own preferences in the camera that they chose... who is it for you to call puny M4/3? So to you a image quality is only measurable with ISO noise?)
    Last edited by rhino123; 18th November 2011 at 01:04 PM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

So you are pretty well off then.

But to give ppl advice, based on the fact that you are well off, is poor advice to me.

Even relatively, a choice like NEX for about same money can have less of a trade off than the ones you mentioned above.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 18th November 2011 at 01:33 PM.

Being well off or not, is not the point. There are Japanese cars that handle better than my Maserati. Some can even go faster than my half million dollar car. Again, that's not the point. I know my Maserati is not the fastest car out there, but I chose to get one. BECAUSE I can afford it. For those who can't, there are always cheaper, maybe even better alternatives. I am not gonna cry about it being slower to 100 km/h than say an Evo 10. I can live with it. So for those that can afford an X100 and live with it flaws at a premium, get it. For those who can't, don't. That's my advice. I could have chose to phrase my advice in a kinder tone, but there is no point sugar coating my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    So you are pretty well off then.

But to give ppl advice, based on the fact that you are well off, is poor advice to me.

Even relatively, a choice like NEX for about same money can have less of a trade off than the ones you mentioned above.

Wow, for someone who claims to be able to afford 100 X-100's, your grammar sure sucks. Okay, I agree with you, even if you could afford more than 100 sets, you shouldn't, that just daft. If you are trying to make a point, use an example that makes at least some economic sense, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Well, it is not the money, value is subjective. I might find that the camera is seriously not very value for money, and that is me. Your first post is very very offensive.

Plus it is your opinion that X100 is good value for what it is worth, but to others, it simply isn't. There really is uncalled for saying what you have just written. Everyone had their own measures.

(note: S$1600 is nothing, I can buy more than 100 of it if I want... but I will not. And even if it is only S$1, I will not buy it... Plus I think everyone had their own preferences in the camera that they chose... who is it for you to call puny M4/3? So to you a image quality is only measurable with ISO noise?)

Wow, for someone who claims to be able to afford 100 X-100's, your grammar sure sucks. Okay, I agree with you, even if you could afford more than 100 sets, you shouldn't, that just daft. If you are trying to make a point, use an example that makes at least some economic sense, please.
    This is a photography forum, is it not? Or was it an english language forum? What is my grammer got to do with anything?

Plus... so what if my english sucks... does that means I cannot be financially capable of getting 100 cameras? And you are missing my point... for goodness sake, what I am saying is... even if the X100 is only S$1, I will not get it... Value is a very subjective matter, to me X100 is not of good value... it doesn't suit me and my style, and thats it. To others, it might be a godsent. I respect that.

And I think it would be good for you to start respecting other people too.
    Last edited by rhino123; 18th November 2011 at 03:24 PM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Jeez, you need a chill pill.

Based on your arguments, even phone cameras can be defended, pls refer to following adapted argument for entertainment:
    To all of you that complain that my little phone camera is too expensive: Don't hate the camera cos you guys are too broke to afford it. It's not even half the price of my iPad.

To all of you that complain that my little phone camera is a fixed lens camera: So what? Just shoot within the camera's zoom range. Don't hate the camera for your incompetence.

To all of you that complain about my little phone camera's slow AF - Yes I hear you. It's slow, so what? A little more patience and a little more anticipation never killed anyone.

To all of you that complain that the phone camera's sensor is a microscopic - Try hitting the same low noise level with your puny phone cameras of yesteryear.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast