Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft XP

Lightbulb Microsoft XP

what are the differences between XP Professional Edition and XP Home Edition?
    inputs appreciated.

The main difference is that XP Pro comes with IIS5.0 (web server) and XP Home doesn't.

Windows XP Professional supports Dual-CPU SMP, Home edition does not.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by yaoxing
    Windows XP Professional supports Dual-CPU SMP, Home edition does not.
    what does dual-CPU SMP do? Hyper Threading?

Hyper-Threading is single-CPU disguising as dual-CPU and the OS is fooled by it.

Dual-CPU is really two processors sitting on the motherboard. You can visit www.2cpu.com forum to see what dualie geeks there are.

:O Now then i get to know the differents

dun use pirated versions.....microsoft will hunt u down, block your os and refuse all updates. :P

One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99
    dun use pirated versions.....microsoft will hunt u down, block your os and refuse all updates. :P

Yeah. Nice one for the noobs

Lightbulb

no intention to get pirated version. comes with Dell's desktop.

thanks for your inputs. one question. what is the price diference between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003

thanks for your inputs. one question. what is the price diference between the two?
    If you are getting it with a Dell desktop, the price difference is meaningless. Cos Dell has the licence to sell OEM versions with the desktop, so the price difference does not reflect the actual price difference for the software on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99

Did anyone here mention that they want to use pirated versions of OS???

So having pentium C chipsets and dual rams doesn't automatically mean you can hyperthread? w/o XP PE having all these in place means you're still functioning as per normal? goodness, all these while and I tot I was having hyperthreading function!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinghippo
    So having pentium C chipsets and dual rams doesn't automatically mean you can hyperthread? w/o XP PE having all these in place means you're still functioning as per normal? goodness, all these while and I tot I was having hyperthreading function!
    so, XP PE is necessary for HT function?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    Did anyone here mention that they want to use pirated versions of OS???
    Dun stir ish.
    One-North Explorers

no prob. its a one-off mention. By the way do u happen to know anything bout the two mentioned os and their upgrades? Juz wondering if they come with sp3? (2?)
    One-North Explorers

Hyper-Threading is single-CPU disguising as dual-CPU and the OS is fooled by it.

Dual-CPU is really two processors sitting on the motherboard. You can visit www.2cpu.com forum to see what dualie geeks there are.

Hyper-Threading is single-CPU disguising as dual-CPU and the OS is fooled by it. ????

Wow ...... I guess I must have been behind time ..... when I was in University, I was only taught it is a technology of simultaneous multithreading, where the code of the program is threaded in parallel mode to achieve maximum performance. However, the program got to be written and compiled on Parallel processing compiler......... etc etc ...... it was possible only on Unix then and not available to Windows until recently.

Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (1 to 2 CPUs) was the first Microsoft OS that supports SMP. Windows NT Server 4.0 (1 to 4 CPUs) as well.
    Then followed by Windows 2000 Pro (1 to 2 CPUs), W2k Server (1 to 4 CPUs) and Win2k Advanced Server (1 to 8 CPUs).
    And then Window XP Pro (1 to 2 CPUs)
    Then Windows 2003 Server, etc...

Windows 95 (all releases), 98, 98SE, ME do not support SMP. Having two CPUs in your system does not give you any advantage.

I also read somewhere also that Intel P4 HT works only on Microsoft Windows (correct me if I'm wrong). Try installing Redhat on your HT-enabled PC and see whether it will detect the system as an SMP system. If not, then you should know what it means. It seems more like a "software" SMP. Perhaps it takes a Linux geek to come up with a new kernel for that purpose.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

what are the differences between XP Professional Edition and XP Home Edition?
    inputs appreciated.
    as far as i know Pro edition does not require you activate but home edition does.. Any hardware u changed within Home edition OS would prompt you for activiation which requires you to call MS support. You can only change 3 times your hardware configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    as far as i know Pro edition does not require you activate but home edition does.. Any hardware u changed within Home edition OS would prompt you for activiation which requires you to call MS support. You can only change 3 times your hardware configuration.
    Windows XP Pro (Retail and OEM version) REQUIRES you to activate, but Windows XP Pro (Corporate version) does not.

Windows XP Pro (Retail and OEM version) REQUIRES you to activate, but Windows XP Pro (Corporate version) does not.
    SORRY! Thanks for the correction...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast