Thread: Thinking Chair

Default Thinking Chair

the post "My Grandfather" by sgping279 inspired me to post this for critique corner.

R001-006 by willytanyx, on Flickr

my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year. he recently passed away. this picture was taken early this year. it was taken at his home, the one which he raised his 6 children in.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    composition. as for exposure, I'm quite noob, and on top of that i was using film which im still trying.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    to capture a man in his home, reminiscing about the past and contemplating whether he lived it right.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    went on my usual sunday visit, he usually didn't talk much to me so i made him cd's of his favorite artist, deng li jun. he likes to listen to yue liang dai biao wo de xin as it reminds him of his wife. he was in a thinking mood that visit so i left him to his own devices and captured him, in which i was reprimanded shortly after that by him for wasting my film.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    it is a personal picture. it is intimate because it is taken at his own home with his home clothes. gives off a comfortable vibe.

Default Re: Thinking Chair

I'm thiking that you are probably thinking too much from the picture. I don't know your grandfather, but it does not look like he's "reminiscing about the past, contemplating whether he lived it right". Perhaps it was a period where he did a lot of that, but one must not attach their emotions and personal knowledge to a picture and just hope that these flow to the viewers.

The lighting is nice here - I would prefer a wider view because the framing is rather tight here. I would also try to avoid the tilt present in the picture.

In any case, like you say, it's a personal picture, I'm sure you will look back at it and remember the moment, and his reprimand, etc. Sometimes, that's all we need from our pictures - memories. Cheers.

Default Re: Thinking Chair

Thanks for the comments! looking back at the picture, his stare does seem quite blank... Will try to work on my framing techniques. didn't really move much to get a nicer angle. next time will try to move around more.