Thread: Help needed!

Default Help needed!

Hi guys,

I have got my new D5100 a couple of months ago.
    All along I thought the set comes in perfect condition until my friend alerted me about this.
    The zoom in and zoom out process was not so smooth. I feel it is quite tight. When I try my friend's DSLR..it's smooth..
    So is this problem v my lens?! Am i entitled for an exchange?

Should I go back to the shop or go to nikon service centre?

Please advise..Thanks!

Kit lens? If yes, 18-55 should be smooth.
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Default Re: Help needed!

First of, did you buy your camera a grey set or local set?

If it was a grey set, I don't think NSC will honour the warranty and provide free servicing. If it was a local set and with warranty, then you should bring it back to NSC for a testing and servicing.

If the product was second hand, you can try calling the seller (although I doubt he/she will be willing to do any exchange).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster33 View Post
    Hi guys,

I have got my new D5100 a couple of months ago.
    All along I thought the set comes in perfect condition until my friend alerted me about this.
    The zoom in and zoom out process was not so smooth. I feel it is quite tight. When I try my friend's DSLR..it's smooth..
    So is this problem v my lens?! Am i entitled for an exchange?

Should I go back to the shop or go to nikon service centre?

Please advise..Thanks!
    Your "not smooth" is hard for anyone to gauge. If you feel insecure, just bring in to the Nikon service centre and ask the technicians there to test out for you if your worries are justified. After frequent usage, the smoothness you get can be just normal wear and tear, so that can't be a good gauge. Also different lens zoom ring feels differently, so if your friend's lens is not the same as yours, it's not an apple to apple comparison.

No one here can tell you if you are entitled for an exchange, ask the technician at NSC.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    First of, did you buy your camera a grey set or local set?

If it was a grey set, I don't think NSC will honour the warranty and provide free servicing. If it was a local set and with warranty, then you should bring it back to NSC for a testing and servicing.

If the product was second hand, you can try calling the seller (although I doubt he/she will be willing to do any exchange).
    It was local set with warranty. Anyway, I'll bring it to NSC for a tesing and servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by small pig View Post
    Kit lens? If yes, 18-55 should be smooth.
    Yes..18-55 kit lens..

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Your "not smooth" is hard for anyone to gauge. If you feel insecure, just bring in to the Nikon service centre and ask the technicians there to test out for you if your worries are justified. After frequent usage, the smoothness you get can be just normal wear and tear, so that can't be a good gauge. Also different lens zoom ring feels differently, so if your friend's lens is not the same as yours, it's not an apple to apple comparison.

No one here can tell you if you are entitled for an exchange, ask the technician at NSC.

I compare it with my friend's D5100 18-55mm..Exactly the same spec...
    Thanks for the advice..I think I will have to bring to NSC for a check.

Service Centre:
    Nikon Singapore Pte. Ltd.
    Address:
    No. 80 Anson Road Fuji Xerox Towers #10-01/02 Singapore 079907
    +65-6559-6363 +65-6559-3669
    Email:
    servicesg@nikon-asia.com
    Details:
    Operating Hours: Mon, Tue, Friday : 9am - 5.30pm Wed and Thu: 9am - 7pm (Closed on Public Holidays)

So, they dun open during weekend?!
    Is this the only one in Singapore?

Service Centre:
    Nikon Singapore Pte. Ltd.
    Address:
    No. 80 Anson Road Fuji Xerox Towers #10-01/02 Singapore 079907
    +65-6559-6363 +65-6559-3669
    Email:
    servicesg@nikon-asia.com
    Details:
    Operating Hours: Mon, Tue, Friday : 9am - 5.30pm Wed and Thu: 9am - 7pm (Closed on Public Holidays)

So, they dun open during weekend?!
    Is this the only one in Singapore?
    Yes... I believe this is the only one available in Singapore. Like Canon Service Centre... Nikon one will not be open on weekend (I think).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Yes... I believe this is the only one available in Singapore. Like Canon Service Centre... Nikon one will not be open on weekend (I think).
    CSC opens also on Saturday (but only a few hours): Visit Us - Canon Singapore - Personal
    EOS

Just admitted my lens to NCS..Stiff zooming that how they call...@@ have to wait for 2 to 3 weeks..Ahhhh...

Just admitted my lens to NCS..Stiff zooming that how they call...@@ have to wait for 2 to 3 weeks..Ahhhh...
    That's long.
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Csboi View Post
    That's long.
    Just gt a call from NSC today..opps..is done repairing..will go and get it soon..