Thread: noob question - photo border affected by solid color adj. level after canvas resized

Default noob question - photo border affected by solid color adj. level after canvas resized

hi bros,
    can i ask a noob question? i was editing my photos in CS5 and in many of them, i wanted to apply a solid color adjustment layer (e.g. yellow) and then i put the opacity to 10 % to give a slight yellow tinge to the photo. After that, when i wanted to place borders around the picture, i resized my image canvas to make the canvas much bigger than the photo and i put the border in a color e.g. white. But now my solid layer adjustment layer also colors the borders of the picture and the white borders now turn yellowish.

If i put a black border, it will also look yellowish. Even my stroke (thin line around the picture) also has that adjustment layer effect. How do i 'restrict' my adjustment layer to only the image portion without affecting the border? I tried looking in youtube under 'create borders in CS5' or googling it, the results does not show how to 'restrict' the adjustment layer to just the image portion. the only other way is to put a mask and paint away the border areas but that is too time consuming and the edges of the borders might not be painted accurately.

anyone knows? i need help cos i i like the tinge given by the layer but i want my borders to be pure white / black.

Help...
    Hua Hee tu hou la...Happy can liao

Quote Originally Posted by Blackgoddess
    hi bros,
    can i ask a noob question? i was editing my photos in CS5 and in many of them, i wanted to apply a solid color adjustment layer (e.g. yellow) and then i put the opacity to 10 % to give a slight yellow tinge to the photo. After that, when i wanted to place borders around the picture, i resized my image canvas to make the canvas much bigger than the photo and i put the border in a color e.g. white. But now my solid layer adjustment layer also colors the borders of the picture and the white borders now turn yellowish.

If i put a black border, it will also look yellowish. Even my stroke (thin line around the picture) also has that adjustment layer effect. How do i 'restrict' my adjustment layer to only the image portion without affecting the border? I tried looking in youtube under 'create borders in CS5' or googling it, the results does not show how to 'restrict' the adjustment layer to just the image portion. the only other way is to put a mask and paint away the border areas but that is too time consuming and the edges of the borders might not be painted accurately.

anyone knows? i need help cos i i like the tinge given by the layer but i want my borders to be pure white / black.

Help...
    There are a few ways.

1)
    After you increase the canvas size, use a layer, place the border at the topmost layer. Adjustment in the middle and the the content way below.

2)
    Use mask on your adjustment layer. All adjustment layers can be applied with masking, but default the mask looks white.

Actually for your warming needs, all you need is using the photo filter, which is better in standard rather than using an adjustment layer. Both works too.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Default Re: noob question - photo border affected by solid color adj. level after canvas resi

David is correct, that is pretty much what I will do also.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio