Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What makes an interesting photograph?

Default Re: What makes an interesting photograph?

Quote Originally Posted by red_ryder View Post
    Hi,

As a just starting out newbie in photography, Iíve often pondered this question. Do you guys think that any subject can make an interesting photograph, as long as the composition and other elements are good? Or there just subjects that are not worth photographing?
    Two parts to your question. One, this is subjective. To people starting out, everything / most of everything is interesting and worth a shot or two. Gradually as their tastes grow and genre of interest gets defined their judgment grows too. Whether to take the picture or not, what is the best angle, is there a best angle, etc.

Same for your audience, to some this picture is nice, to others it's not really special. Etc. Plenty of instances in the galleries or Critique Corner for your reference.

Two, you have to know and remember you're shooting for yourself. If other people don't get your works, understand the logical reasons why they don't. Then either refine your story telling (composition) or technique. You have to impart a sense of yourself into each photograph, something that tells people, this is a "red ryder" photograph. Don't be blind to criticism but don't be mainstream as well. Strike a balance.

For example, when I travel overseas and am walking around with my camera, sometimes I stop at a spot and try to figure out if I can shoot it in an interesting way. I wonder if Iím just wasting my time if the subject itself is not worth shooting.
    You should start analysing why something is not worth shooting. Is there a messy background, the light is not right, the lens limitation, etc etc. My recommendation is that you learn what you can from the situation and then think / imagine what is needed to make the shot happen. Come back a different time of day? Hunt for a similar situation elsewhere? Remake the situation with the necessary equipment? Etc.

Take mental snapshots of the world around you, expand your imagination.

A famous French photographer (not HCB) was asked this question and he replied: "if I knew the answer to that I would have not wasted so much film and time".

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Number of shots that can make it --> sometimes I shoot one whole day and got no good photos, it's about experience, instinct and sometimes you need to have the 'feel'/'groove' to think of how to shoot a picture good.

One challenge to me is sometimes when I see an ordinary object, I will ask myself is there a way to make a creative shot out of it, say a piece of fork. I believe that if I cannot make it interesting it would be due to limitation of my talent, someone out there would be able to make a good photo out of the some object/subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    in search of great images, enthusiastic photogs sometimes forget to take the ordinary 'keepsake' photos (and often forget to include themselves in photos!). If it's a holiday, take some time to take a few of those -- they'll bring back memories in years to come
    yeah... i always tends to forget and only came back with 1 or 2 photos with me on it haha since i am doing solo travel most of the time, too lazy to set up tripod to shoot myself or shy to ask passer by to help me take.

Quote Originally Posted by red_ryder View Post
    Hi,

As a just starting out newbie in photography, Iíve often pondered this question. Do you guys think that any subject can make an interesting photograph, as long as the composition and other elements are good? Or there just subjects that are not worth photographing?

For example, when I travel overseas and am walking around with my camera, sometimes I stop at a spot and try to figure out if I can shoot it in an interesting way. I wonder if Iím just wasting my time if the subject itself is not worth shooting.
    Define interesting...? For yourself? Or for others? You must be clear what you want out of your pictures first. Something that is interesting for YOU may not be interesting for OTHERS.

For example, I was with a group of my good friends, we had a great time. The sunset was beautiful. I just took a snap with many smiling faces. It turns out overexposed. When I look at it, I look back and I remember those times. That's interesting to me. The composition sucks, but I smile when I look at it.

What interests others, is much more complex. Who are you targeting?

A bunch of humsuplo people who like to hang around and chit-chat about dirty things on the internet and fantasize (e.g. sammyboy + sammyboy wannabes)? Then that's pretty simple. Throw some money at some random models, make sure they're not too ugly, make sure they're not dressed too much, maybe create a few gifs with the models pouting... That's interesting for them.

The general population? Something that's beautiful will do. Sometimes you don't even have to bother about composition. There are guidelines you can help to ensure that your photos are more interesting in the subconscious of the human mind.. Things like the "rule of thirds", "leading lines" are not there just because some old fogey photographer put them up and made them a rule for people to blindly follow. They appeal, somehow, if you use them right, to your advantage. The amount of thought you put in, the amount of time you invest to train your mind to "see" how a photograph can be interesting, to grab the right moment, to differentiate the good from the bad and the beautiful from the ugly, that will work a long way towards making your photographs interesting to most people.

Can any subject make an interesting photograph? I don't know. I'm not the whole world. To me , loads of things are not interesting, save rocks, cats and loved ones. Maybe the occasional metallic cityscape. Some people find beauty in birds. What I can say for certain is that a photograph is many things. All of them count. You could have the best composition, other elements all fall into place, but you can lack the light, and it will not be enough. You can have the most beautiful seascape in the world but it's in a pitch black cavern and you won't see it at all. Neither will your camera.

If you stop at a spot, and it caught your eye, chances are, something's interesting. Whether you have the luck to be in a position to get a pleasing composition, whether you are able to see that composition, and whether you have the basics to get the settings right and know-how to push forth what you felt when you saw what you saw... That's always up to you. My advice is to shoot what you like, and shoot it to death. Cheers.

Well, it really depends on the creator of the image. What is the purpose of the shot?

It is to please yourself or to please someone else?

An interesting image is an extension of image creator's vision. Without showing the vision, viewer won't have a clue what the photograph is about.

Being selective is great way of improving yourself but do spend more time thinking and less clicking.

Hope it helps.

Hart

Blog Entries

quality/uniqueness of content

content content content
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12