Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Newbie Needs Help on: Comparing between Entry-Level DSLRs, DSLR Photo-taking Queries

  1. #41

    Default Re: Newbie Needs Help on: Comparing between Entry-Level DSLRs, DSLR Photo-taking Quer

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    And while you are at it... why don't you wait a while more and check out the A77 or A65? These two cameras are of newer technology and better in term of sensor, fps, etc... especially the A77.
    And EVF
    Alpha

  2. #42

    Default Re: Newbie Needs Help on: Comparing between Entry-Level DSLRs, DSLR Photo-taking Quer

    Oh so SITEX sells more expensive stuff?

    A77 is out of my budget . I checked the A65 and it costs S$ 1,399.00 on Sony's website. Any idea whether this comes with the lens?

  3. #43
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Newbie Needs Help on: Comparing between Entry-Level DSLRs, DSLR Photo-taking Quer

    Quote Originally Posted by MachCurve View Post
    Oh so SITEX sells more expensive stuff?

    A77 is out of my budget . I checked the A65 and it costs S$ 1,399.00 on Sony's website. Any idea whether this comes with the lens?
    Yes. It came with a 18-55mm kit lens.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  4. #44

    Default Re: Newbie Needs Help on: Comparing between Entry-Level DSLRs, DSLR Photo-taking Quer

    Quote Originally Posted by MachCurve View Post
    Oh so SITEX sells more expensive stuff?

    A77 is out of my budget . I checked the A65 and it costs S$ 1,399.00 on Sony's website. Any idea whether this comes with the lens?
    SITEX, Comex, etc always sells at RRP unless it's a discontinued model, and they usually toss in worthless freebies. That's why it's good to do your research.

    If you actually *clicked* on the A65 link, you'll see the description:

    SLT-A65VK : SLT-A65V : SLT & DSLR Camera (A-mount) : Sony Singapore

    "Digital SLT 24.3 Mega Pixel Camera with SAL1855 Lens"
    Alpha

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Newbie Needs Help on: Comparing between Entry-Level DSLRs, DSLR Photo-taking Quer

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Go to the Sitex show if you like being squeezed by the crowd... and getting more expensive stuff + lots of useless freebies (unless these freebies include a good dry cabinet - note: dry cabinet and not dry box).

    Just go to a reputable shop, even on Sitex's period... you will get out of the crowd, get things cheaper and if the freebies are from Sony and not the dealer themselves, you will still get it if you buy from a shop. But you might want to wait till Sitex to get a better deal from the shops.
    I agree. I like to shop at Funan during those major IT fairs. It's deserted with only tourists around. I take my time to try the camera to find out the ergonomics, etc. I get better deals and freebies too. It's better to get quotations from reputable shops, select the body+lens+freebies combination, print out the quotation and purchase.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Newbie Needs Help on: Comparing between Entry-Level DSLRs, DSLR Photo-taking Quer

    Quote Originally Posted by MachCurve View Post
    Oh so SITEX sells more expensive stuff?

    A77 is out of my budget . I checked the A65 and it costs S$ 1,399.00 on Sony's website. Any idea whether this comes with the lens?
    one thing abt the A77 u should look into is the EVF and the ergonomics. ergonomics and handling is something very personal and once someone is used to a certain layout, other layouts takes some getting used to.

    that said, it should be acknowledged that some layouts are more intuitive and natural than others and have a gentler learning curve. the pentax K5 tops my list for ease of use with most things in the right place. the 5DMK II is pretty good as well. the ricoh GXR with the APS-C A12 modules works well too. some quirks, but largely quite natural and customisable.

    but my personal opinion is that the sony A77 is pretty different. the SLT / EVF approach makes it feel more like a big, souped up PNS than a DSLR. from my quick hands on with my friend's camera, i could see that it has both pros and cons - but i just couldn't get used to it.

    so seriously, research and hands-on experience is important.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Newbie Needs Help on: Comparing between Entry-Level DSLRs, DSLR Photo-taking Quer

    Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    one thing abt the A77 u should look into is the EVF and the ergonomics. ergonomics and handling is something very personal and once someone is used to a certain layout, other layouts takes some getting used to.

    that said, it should be acknowledged that some layouts are more intuitive and natural than others and have a gentler learning curve. the pentax K5 tops my list for ease of use with most things in the right place. the 5DMK II is pretty good as well. the ricoh GXR with the APS-C A12 modules works well too. some quirks, but largely quite natural and customisable.

    but my personal opinion is that the sony A77 is pretty different. the SLT / EVF approach makes it feel more like a big, souped up PNS than a DSLR. from my quick hands on with my friend's camera, i could see that it has both pros and cons - but i just couldn't get used to it.

    so seriously, research and hands-on experience is important.

    +1 to this, well sort of anyway....

    Sony cameras are easy to try out since they are avaliable in Sony Stores. Go try out one and see if the EVF suits your needs. I can only advise you to try and try at the showroom, then try out an OVF camera to see which you prefer. Don't just go pick it up, hold, hold look look. Really look through the viewfinder and use it to shoot various things around the place. See how it responds to shutter lag, color accuracy, refresh rate, etc.
    The EVF is the best of the lot atm, which I find pretty nice.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 23rd November 2011 at 01:31 PM.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Newbie Needs Help on: Comparing between Entry-Level DSLRs, DSLR Photo-taking Quer

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Nope, that's for Cathay. MS Color very rarely replies to e-quotes, they work best by calling by phone and asking for Florence.
    nope, have gotten my 7D, 17-55 and 85/f1.8 from MS.

    e-quote works best. not sure why you don't get replies from them but on many occasions, florence did reply me in a jiffy.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Newbie Needs Help on: Comparing between Entry-Level DSLRs, DSLR Photo-taking Quer

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    nope, have gotten my 7D, 17-55 and 85/f1.8 from MS.

    e-quote works best. not sure why you don't get replies from them but on many occasions, florence did reply me in a jiffy.
    Many people reported never getting a reply. Me, I sms her. :P
    Alpha

  10. #50

    Default Re: Newbie Needs Help on: Comparing between Entry-Level DSLRs, DSLR Photo-taking Quer

    Hello all,

    Thanks for the replies! I just managed to find a brochure for SITEX to compare.





    So the "freebies" look quite 'worthy' for the A55. Is it time to check it out with other shops to see what they have to offer? From experience, do the other shops offer more freebies?



    Oh, and how would you guys compare the A35 vs A55 vs A65? I saw the specs and they seem pretty comparable - but I'm not too sure either.
    Last edited by MachCurve; 25th November 2011 at 07:02 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •