Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Just bought 10D body...

  1. #21
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    If you need a wider reach, you may wish to consider the Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 ...

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Changi Airport
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Thanks singscott for the explanation. I also gathered some information from the thread on "Lens sizes". Is there such thing as a chart that tablulate how broad the angle a lens can cover for a given distant?
    Example:
    Lens size(or range?): 24mm
    Distant: 4m (distance between the lens and perpendicular to the object)
    Angle: n deg, or x meter (left to right)


  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Changi Airport
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi
    If you need a wider reach, you may wish to consider the Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 ...
    Hi Adam, this is interesting, I checked the sigmaphoto website and it says this lens is specially designed for DSLR..

    It says "Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of the new 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC. This zoom lens was exclusively designed for use with digital Single-Lens Reflex (SLR) cameras and has 6.9 times high magnification zoom ratio. Image circle is designed to match the size of the image sensor of digital SLR cameras. A Special Low Dispersion (SLD) and two pieces of aspherical glass elements produce high level of optical performance through the entire zoom range and also this has resulted in a compact, lightweight lens. This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 50cm (19.6in.) at all focal lengths and equipped with inner focusing system. Since the front of the lens does not rotate, "Petal Shaped Hood" and a circular polarizing filter can be easily attached and used. This lens is also equipped with "Zoom Lock Switch" that eliminates "Zoom Creep."

    When the lens zooms out, it will extend right? Will the lens hood goes along with the extension?

    What does this statement mean?
    * An image sensor element larger than those corresponding to APS-C cannot be used in digital cameras or 35mm SLR cameras. If such an element is used vignetting will occur on the picture surface.

    Man...so much to learn, begining to get scary..

  4. #24

    Default

    That means the the Sigma is designed for 1.6x or 1.5x crop cameras, It will vignette (give you severe dark corners) if you use it on a full frame or 1.3x crop body like the 1Dmk2 or 1Ds.

    I would say go for the 28-135mm IS if you want a Canon lens with IS (Image stablization). And go for Sigma if you need something wider. Here is a quick breakdown:

    Sigma

    - Wider with 18mm vs 25 mm of the Canon
    - Smaller and lighter than the Canon

    Canon

    - IS : lets you handhold 1 to 2 stops slower than you normally could. I have shot sharp shots at 1/60s at 135mm
    - FTM (full time manual) : lets you manually adjust the focus after AF lock to tweak focus.
    - Reviewed as one of the sharpest consumer lens wide open. I saw something interesting today. I was walking by Crystal Jade in Suntec city and there was a photographer doing food photos for the resturant. He was using the Kodak DCS SLR/c with guess what? Yup a 28-135mm IS.

    Hope that helps.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    This sigma 18-125 can use on your 10D but not on other canon 35mm SLR or those high end full frame(means size same as 35mm film) DSLR.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Changi Airport
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juste_millieu
    how much is the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO super macro II?
    Should be in the range of $320 to $360.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Changi Airport
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzuen
    That means the the Sigma is designed for 1.6x or 1.5x crop cameras, It will vignette (give you severe dark corners) if you use it on a full frame or 1.3x crop body like the 1Dmk2 or 1Ds.

    I would say go for the 28-135mm IS if you want a Canon lens with IS (Image stablization). And go for Sigma if you need something wider. Here is a quick breakdown:

    Sigma

    - Wider with 18mm vs 25 mm of the Canon
    - Smaller and lighter than the Canon

    Canon

    - IS : lets you handhold 1 to 2 stops slower than you normally could. I have shot sharp shots at 1/60s at 135mm
    - FTM (full time manual) : lets you manually adjust the focus after AF lock to tweak focus.
    - Reviewed as one of the sharpest consumer lens wide open. I saw something interesting today. I was walking by Crystal Jade in Suntec city and there was a photographer doing food photos for the resturant. He was using the Kodak DCS SLR/c with guess what? Yup a 28-135mm IS.

    Hope that helps.
    I see, I see. And BTW that is a good testimony (Crystal Jade) on the 28-135mm IS!

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Changi Airport
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    This sigma 18-125 can use on your 10D but not on other canon 35mm SLR or those high end full frame(means size same as 35mm film) DSLR.
    Which means the lens is limited to consumer digital SLR use...if the price is right and the lens is sharp, it can be a good candidate for me to consider.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L.Lee
    Thanks singscott for the explanation. I also gathered some information from the thread on "Lens sizes". Is there such thing as a chart that tablulate how broad the angle a lens can cover for a given distant?
    Example:
    Lens size(or range?): 24mm
    Distant: 4m (distance between the lens and perpendicular to the object)
    Angle: n deg, or x meter (left to right)

    Err...what you're asking is calculable, but only those into technical or very specialised industrial imaging applications need to know such figures (unless you're technically or mathematically inclined! )

    Not xactly answering your question, but it may be interesting to anyone wanting to get a 'feel' of relative effects the angle of a given lens has on a subject.

    http://www.canon.com.sg/index.cfm?fu...psnhints#focal

    Enjoy!

  10. #30

    Default

    Most ppl here will agree that the 17-40mm f4L is an amazing lens. Very sharp, contrasty and good value for money. So based on that look at the this comparison between the 17-40mm f4L and 18-125mm Sigma. Both taken at 400 ISO f4.



    Focus was on the center tape and the tapes were staggered with the one on the left being behind the middle tape and the one on the right being in-front. These are center 100% crops with no sharpening.

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Changi Airport
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    Err...what you're asking is calculable, but only those into technical or very specialised industrial imaging applications need to know such figures (unless you're technically or mathematically inclined! )

    Not xactly answering your question, but it may be interesting to anyone wanting to get a 'feel' of relative effects the angle of a given lens has on a subject.

    http://www.canon.com.sg/index.cfm?fu...psnhints#focal

    Enjoy!
    Thanks for the. Is it normal that the image warps as the angle is larger?
    With the 10D 1.6x crop, how to obtain a true 17mm?

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L.Lee
    Thanks for the. Is it normal that the image warps as the angle is larger?
    With the 10D 1.6x crop, how to obtain a true 17mm?
    Buy a Sigma 12-24mm
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Changi Airport
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Nice gallery of yours, Nick.

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzuen
    Most ppl here will agree that the 17-40mm f4L is an amazing lens. Very sharp, contrasty and good value for money. So based on that look at the this comparison between the 17-40mm f4L and 18-125mm Sigma. Both taken at 400 ISO f4.
    Focus was on the center tape and the tapes were staggered with the one on the left being behind the middle tape and the one on the right being in-front. These are center 100% crops with no sharpening.
    Has anyone tried to compare 17-40 4L with Tamron 17-35 F2.8-4 Di ?
    I would like to see the image comparison. I heard Tamron is also not bad, it's cheaper than Canon 17-40 4L.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •