Thread: Reincarnated SIGMA lens

Default Reincarnated SIGMA lens

Hi All,

Please dun flame me for bringing up what may be a 'old old old' lens, but I distinctively remember that Sigma once produced a 28-70 or 24-70 f/3.5-4.6 kinda lens. It was a 2-touch design that sold for around S$180.

Apparently Sigma had hit upon a winner with this lens cos LEITZ found the design so good, they bought manufacturing rights and asked Sigma to produce the LEICA version in metal bodies (using part-LEICA/LEITZ machinery??? and definitely undergoing LEITZ'z QC in Germany).

The result was Sigma offering the plastic version for S$180, and Leica offering their metal-bodied version for about a thousand bucks more.

Some o/s magazine did a direct comparison and found that optically, everything was equal, except maybe slightly improved transmission (I'm guessing Leica insisted on modifying the coating a little cos the photos of the lenses seemed to look a little different if I remember correctly...but hey, these lenses were available back in like...1993-1994???).

I bought the cheapo version and never, ever regretted it.

Now, the question:

Do you think Sigma has or is going to reincarnate that design, if possible, for a digital camera? I have been out of touch with Sigma lenses for so long that I have no idea what their present lens line-up is based upon.

Maybe it has already been done, except that ignorent me am not aware of it. If you happen to know anything about this, or think you know, please, please, please do let me know.

Can anyone help, please?

if i am not wrong the technogy should be in the EX range of sigma lens..

U meanan like the 15-30? I thought a closer bet would be the 18-55...???

I'm seriously considering getting a 2nd hand 15-30...

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    Hi All,

Please dun flame me for bringing up what may be a 'old old old' lens, but I distinctively remember that Sigma once produced a 28-70 or 24-70 f/3.5-4.6 kinda lens. It was a 2-touch design that sold for around S$180.

Apparently Sigma had hit upon a winner with this lens cos LEITZ found the design so good, they bought manufacturing rights and asked Sigma to produce the LEICA version in metal bodies (using part-LEICA/LEITZ machinery??? and definitely undergoing LEITZ'z QC in Germany).

The result was Sigma offering the plastic version for S$180, and Leica offering their metal-bodied version for about a thousand bucks more.

Some o/s magazine did a direct comparison and found that optically, everything was equal, except maybe slightly improved transmission (I'm guessing Leica insisted on modifying the coating a little cos the photos of the lenses seemed to look a little different if I remember correctly...but hey, these lenses were available back in like...1993-1994???).

I bought the cheapo version and never, ever regretted it.

Now, the question:

Do you think Sigma has or is going to reincarnate that design, if possible, for a digital camera? I have been out of touch with Sigma lenses for so long that I have no idea what their present lens line-up is based upon.

Maybe it has already been done, except that ignorent me am not aware of it. If you happen to know anything about this, or think you know, please, please, please do let me know.

Can anyone help, please?
    Hi, I would like to know more which Leica lens are using this Sigma technology? And also from where you got this piece of info from?
    Pls enlighten me, thanks!

I got it from the magazine article/test I read back in the 90's.

That's what got my attention in the first place.

Then I bought the lens, and what I remember is that a constant f2.8 version was offered a little later, but never came close to the performance parametres of the slower, el cheapo version.

Start searching...I know I will because I have experienced that while Sigma produces many (perceived) cheah n cheerful lenses, they did and do have some very clear winners.