Thread: Camera / Photography course : which one 1st?

Default Camera / Photography course : which one 1st?

Hi guys and gals,

Currently am seriously considering getting a digital SLR.

Other than having to use a LARGE portiion of savings on this investment, oneof the major concerns is not being able to fully utilise the equipment.

Thus as the title reads,
    1) should i attend a course 1st and learn how how to maximise a DSLR and perhaps help me choose which camera to get
    OR
    2) invest in a good DSLR and then sign up for course/s so as to experiment, learn and grow WITH the camera that i have gotten?

am currentlu using a canon A80 btw, and mainly using to take underwater photo and taking snapshots of family events only. hoping to be able to 'capture' me and my family's journey thru life better.

Any suggestions, tips, comments, criticisms willl be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!!

Join clubsnap outing and learn from other photographers.. try out the equipment and talk to them... that should give u a better idea of even to go for a course first or camera first...

Quote Originally Posted by stingraytan
    Hi guys and gals,

Other than having to use a LARGE portiion of savings on this investment, oneof the major concerns is not being able to fully utilise the equipment.

Thus as the title reads,
    1) should i attend a course 1st and learn how how to maximise a DSLR and perhaps help me choose which camera to get
    OR
    2) invest in a good DSLR and then sign up for course/s so as to experiment, learn and grow WITH the camera that i have gotten?

am currentlu using a canon A80 btw, and mainly using to take underwater photo and taking snapshots of family events only. hoping to be able to 'capture' me and my family's journey thru life better.

Many thanks in advance!!
    My Advice, get a CHEAP normal SLR and some pretty good lens then sign up for a course ...... DSLR is good, but SLR is a powerful learning tool ....

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    My Advice, get a CHEAP normal SLR and some pretty good lens then sign up for a course ...... DSLR is good, but SLR is a powerful learning tool ....

thanks for the suggestion! but ermm.. sorry to sound stupid.. but a cheap normal slr as in film?
    Is there much difference between operating a SLR and DSLR other than post processing and diff between film and digital?
    So a SLR will be a better learning tool than a DSLR? Why?

Very sorry to ask so many questions.. but you have certainly plant many ?? into my limited understanding le..
    Care to elaborate a bit more?? Thanks!

sounds like you are new to slr cameras.

well brand digital slrs are expensive $1700 and above. 2nd hand ones maybe about $900 and above.

a good brand new film cam like the eos 30v is about $700. a 2nd hand eos 30 maybe around $400. a good cheap lens like the 50mm f/1.8 can be got for about $150 new.

suggestion is to get a cheap film slr first. in case you find that slrs are not your cup of tea. even if you do decide to move to digital slr subsequently, the film cam still has its uses and wont be a wasted investment.

as for courses, read the camera manual to learn about the functions of the camera. then sign up for a basic photography class. check out the workshops, studio/model shoots forum for listings.

Hee~! Maybe blurblock could revive the evil plan to get people hook to SLR, and spend their money on lenses!!

Actually I find that it is a waste of time and money to go for courses. You could always experiment with different photography skills with your A80, and consult the old birds here. Think you would benefit more this way, at your own pace, than to go and stuff yourself with a lot of information (which you might not retain) in a short period of time.

Or like what willyfoo suggest, go for any clubsnap outing. A good opportunity to form your network, and enhance your social life too!

Oh! Just beware of the BUY! BUY! BUY! bug here. It's more infectious than influenza!

thanks for the suggestion! but ermm.. sorry to sound stupid.. but a cheap normal slr as in film?
    Is there much difference between operating a SLR and DSLR other than post processing and diff between film and digital?
    So a SLR will be a better learning tool than a DSLR? Why?

Very sorry to ask so many questions.. but you have certainly plant many ?? into my limited understanding le..
    Care to elaborate a bit more?? Thanks!
    a. It is very much cheaper then DSLR.
    b. With a Film Scanner you have both the advantages of Film and Digital, and still cheaper then DSLR
    c. You can develop (about max $3 per roll) of pictures without printing it.
    d. You do not get to see every picture you take, its an advantage as you will learn to be confident with your shots, trust me, I had seen SLR users having no qualms using DSLR and DSLR users which says "I can't use a SLR ...... I cannot post process the pictures "
    e. You do not get to operate a machine gun, which force to think before you shoot and thus every shot counts.
    f.... etc etc .... so much I sincerely doubt I can finish it
    Last edited by blurblock; 2nd November 2004 at 09:50 AM.

Hi guys and gals,

Thus as the title reads,
    OR

Many thanks in advance!!
    I agree with The Cheat. Just my $0.01cent.

Your heaviest assumption is the last one 'to capture me and my family journey thru life better'
    When the bug bites, few escape. Then soon enough the better is not enough. Betterer or betterest is the minimum. At the terminal stage - the best is good enough. We will welcome you to the buy, buy club at this point.

How to start cheaper? - Willy Foo is right. Use his idea. Powerful.

You can also read various forums like Digital previews and Fredmiranda's and borrow books & magazines to learn and find out. The learning curve is steep and attending courses can only start you off. Shooting & experimenting & reviewing/critiques are very critical as well.

I find learning through film SLR slow and expensive - time wise and some extent money wise. I like Blurblock logic - there is some power if you shoot like him with his lineup. Just happen that a half newbie like me cannot fall in the plan as recommended. Not so steady like him. I shoot lke an idiot on a rocket, no time to develop films and scan, don't like storage, and like things computer based. etc.
    Bon voyage.

Quote Originally Posted by dundee
    I find learning through film SLR slow and expensive - time wise and some extent money wise. I like Blurblock logic - there is some power if you shoot like him with his lineup. Just happen that a half newbie like me cannot fall in the plan as recommended. Not so steady like him. I shoot lke an idiot on a rocket, no time to develop films and scan, don't like storage, and like things computer based. etc.
    Bon voyage.
    that is true. but like blurblock said, you will be forced to think before you shoot. when using a digital cam, most users won't think twice about setting the cam to continuous shoot, fire off a few frames hoping for 1 good one. also users will tend to be more dependent on the lcd to confirm their exposure. throw them a film cam and they will be quite lost.

on the other hand, a user who started off on a film slr will most likely feel at home on digital, and will most likely still exercise the think before you shoot habit.

just my 2 cents.

Hi guys and gals,

Thus as the title reads,
    OR

Many thanks in advance!!
    hi stingraytan,

have you outgrown your A80? i.e. you have used every camera function of the A80 to the max and found them wanting? if so, then an upgrade to DSLR is valid. if not, you should maximise the potential of your existing camera first to take superb photos before upgrading to DSLR.

however, if you dead set on getting a DSLR, my advice is just go ahead and buy it. then learn and experiment with it as you go along. just be careful when the newer and more whizz-bang DSLR comes along in a few months time. you might be tempted to upgrade again (b4 mastering the full potential of your current DSLR).

good luck!

you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Default sharing my personal experiences

just to share my personal experiences..

i started photograhy with using my gf eos5, then bought myself a A70, then move on to eos30, then got a flatbed scanner to scan negatives to save cost but after a while, find tt i dunt have time to scan my negatives n slides, then now me using 10D..

eos30:v good camera..still missed it..
    flatbed scanner: good quality scanning enuff for me..D/O only $2.50-3, film only $2+ (superia400 my fav)..but as i shoot on wkends n so tired afterwork on wkdays, my unscanned negatives got more n more till i am so lazy so ended up going to lab n pay for the scanning once n for all..
    10D:as i usually shoot family photos, esp babies, digital is wonderful..quick sharing of pics..my personal experience is pple are happy when u show them the pics u have taken right on the spot..ehhe..

will i choose the same route again? yes..luckily i got a gf who share the same hobby n we shared most lens..except my 50mm, all the stuffs are either bought 2nd hand here or shared with my gf..

now i am planning to take up a photoshop course (either PSS or Objectifs), maybe we can sign up together if u decided to get a DSLR?

keith..hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat
    Hee~! Maybe blurblock could revive the evil plan to get people hook to SLR, and spend their money on lenses!!

Actually I find that it is a waste of time and money to go for courses. You could always experiment with different photography skills with your A80, and consult the old birds here. Think you would benefit more this way, at your own pace, than to go and stuff yourself with a lot of information (which you might not retain) in a short period of time.

Or like what willyfoo suggest, go for any clubsnap outing. A good opportunity to form your network, and enhance your social life too!

Oh! Just beware of the BUY! BUY! BUY! bug here. It's more infectious than influenza!
    I don't mind reviving the Evil plan again .... now I have 5 cameras and I have to make sure it is fully used .... or else it become infected with mushrooms

I don't agree with your view on courses though .... true enough you could experiment with photography, but through courses, you learn through other people's experience ..... which is invaluable, why reinvent the wheel?

wow...

many thanks to the bro and sis who provided the valuable feedback!
    greatly appreciated.

Seems like i really do need to re-consider my choices.. but unlikely to get a SLR as my dad do have a under-utilised one for me to experiment with.
    time to hassle my dad for his precious again..

As for the A80, i have experiment various modes/functions etc on a weekly basis trying my hand at taking pictures with the daily inspiration recieved from clubsnap. From taking outdoor potraits of my girlfren, taking macros at parks, snapping pictures of pets, trying still life in my office etc.. and it seems i have become more and more dependant on photoshop as i go along...

think my skills still do injustice to the camera at present, but am not sure how to create a focal point of the subject with the proper use of bokeh etc on my camera?

will do more search on the issue and check out senior photographers suggestions in clubsnap. Many thanks again, and please do provide any more suggestions and feedback. Will try to make time for a clubsnap outing.. but i generally work on weekends..

Cheers and happy snapping!

I don't mind reviving the Evil plan again .... now I have 5 cameras and I have to make sure it is fully used .... or else it become infected with mushrooms

I don't agree with your view on courses though .... true enough you could experiment with photography, but through courses, you learn through other people's experience ..... which is invaluable, why reinvent the wheel?
    Hee~! Everyone have their own point of view mah! I'd personally never benefit when in a class... always slowed down by the others one.

Reinventing the wheel? Why not? Someone in Australia filled successfully a patent for the wheel in the year 2002, fyi!

wow...

many thanks to the bro and sis who provided the valuable feedback!
    greatly appreciated.

Seems like i really do need to re-consider my choices.. but unlikely to get a SLR as my dad do have a under-utilised one for me to experiment with.
    time to hassle my dad for his precious again..

As for the A80, i have experiment various modes/functions etc on a weekly basis trying my hand at taking pictures with the daily inspiration recieved from clubsnap. From taking outdoor potraits of my girlfren, taking macros at parks, snapping pictures of pets, trying still life in my office etc.. and it seems i have become more and more dependant on photoshop as i go along...

think my skills still do injustice to the camera at present, but am not sure how to create a focal point of the subject with the proper use of bokeh etc on my camera?

will do more search on the issue and check out senior photographers suggestions in clubsnap. Many thanks again, and please do provide any more suggestions and feedback. Will try to make time for a clubsnap outing.. but i generally work on weekends..

Cheers and happy snapping!

It's not easy to do bokeh on your A80, as the DOF for the camera tend to be super-big on digicam.

Default Not true....

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat
    It's not easy to do bokeh on your A80, as the DOF for the camera tend to be super-big on digicam.
    A80 is one of those cameras that are capable for good blurring of the background (shallow DOF) due to its capability for close focussing. Especially in macro.....

Don't compare with SLR.....its one of the best in its league......

rgds,
    sulhan