Thread: Unruffled

Default Unruffled

1. in what area is critique to be sought
    Lighting, how can the composition be improved or where to focus?, Too much shadow at top left hand corner?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    To practice taking photos which represents the mood.....and also to try taking photo in low light.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Behind me was a busy street in Hoi An with people walking and cycling. And it was interesting that this lady was unruffled by the bustle.
    Sufficient lighting was a challenge as i did not have tripod. I took this photo with G12.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Friends said it is nice. Although it is a simple photograph, but I am not sure. The proportion is somewhat not right.
    Last edited by Jie Ying; 25th October 2011 at 11:03 AM.

Default Re: Unruffled

Firstly, i could somewhat see your concept in the shot.
    Personally, I like the lighting as it brings your attention towards the lady and her wares. (Natural or artificial may I ask?)

Now, here's where I find some problems in this picture
    Composition:
    I sense that youre trying to force your subject(s) into the third of the frame, but if you just filled the frame with the lady and her stuff,
    I'd be sure that ill be an almost perfect composition (thirds horizontally and vertically).
    eg.

Dead space on the left.
    On the right theres some bottles, you should either totally include them, or exclude, if half-half like that it becomes a sore-eye.
    The leaves at the top are distracting cause they're illuminated, if they were darkened out, i think it may work.

Others:
    The time-stamp is pretty annoying, maybe you could disable it
    You mentioned behind is a busy street, one tip is that you could show the hustle and bustle as a contrast to this lady just lazing there.
    Since she's just stationary, you could set a slower shutter speed and (try) to hold the camera still, so movement blur in the foreground could be captured.

I understand street shooting is a very spur of the moment thing, but if you got the time, just take a moment to capture a few more shots, esp in situations like this
    where the subject is (relatively) stationary. Not everything would go towards your favor, but just have to make the best of the situation. Don't stop shooting! (y)

Quote Originally Posted by Raied View Post
    Firstly, i could somewhat see your concept in the shot.
    Personally, I like the lighting as it brings your attention towards the lady and her wares. (Natural or artificial may I ask?)

Now, here's where I find some problems in this picture
    Composition:
    I sense that youre trying to force your subject(s) into the third of the frame, but if you just filled the frame with the lady and her stuff,
    I'd be sure that ill be an almost perfect composition (thirds horizontally and vertically).
    eg.

Dead space on the left.
    On the right theres some bottles, you should either totally include them, or exclude, if half-half like that it becomes a sore-eye.
    The leaves at the top are distracting cause they're illuminated, if they were darkened out, i think it may work.

Others:
    The time-stamp is pretty annoying, maybe you could disable it
    You mentioned behind is a busy street, one tip is that you could show the hustle and bustle as a contrast to this lady just lazing there.
    Since she's just stationary, you could set a slower shutter speed and (try) to hold the camera still, so movement blur in the foreground could be captured.

I understand street shooting is a very spur of the moment thing, but if you got the time, just take a moment to capture a few more shots, esp in situations like this
    where the subject is (relatively) stationary. Not everything would go towards your favor, but just have to make the best of the situation. Don't stop shooting! (y)
    Thank you very much
    Lighting is natural. I took many many shots with different settings and different positions of the girl. I was most satisfied with this.
    But it didn't feel complete.

I was trying to do framing with the leaves and after u mentioned, I see how the leaves can be distracting!
    I like your idea to include the bustle. I imagine if I can capture one passerby (blurred) walking pass in the photo, it will complete the mood of the photo...
    I will keep that in mind..
    Thanks alot....

the pic has a nice feel to it
    the top leaves are a little distracting and there is too much shadows on the left.
    but otherwise, it feels natural.

What bugs me is the fact that it looks tilted! And true, get rid of the time stamp. The contrast of the subject isn't really shown here, as in we can't tell if it is actually a busy road or just an empty corner..